Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting a digital patch off a SBD  (Read 3098 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
Getting a digital patch off a SBD
« on: February 04, 2004, 12:38:24 PM »
Ok, so my JB3 is on the way.  I figure in the meantime I can buy the cables I will need.  I have been convinced that digital is much better than analog so on to step 2.  Here is what I have been told I will need to do a digital patch.  (Also, no mics or anything here, will only be doing straight SBD patches).  

1. Hosa s/pdif converter (bit perfect, and the best choice for the jb3)
2. a cheap coax cable
3. a cheap toslink cable

vs

1. digital audio coax cable
2. coax > optical converter
3. TOSlink > mini optical cable

Now, being the complete n00b that I am, these could very well be identicle lists with different terms and I have failed to realize that.  But something tells me they are not.  I need someone to treat me like a baby and tell me exactly what I need.  Also they should spank me if I get the wrong thing.  ;)

Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re:Getting a digital patch off a SBD
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 12:42:53 PM »
it seems that you're assuming you're your able to get a digital patch out every board.  most boards where you will be able to get a patch, will be analog.  i think you're going to need an a/d first.
we all live downstream.

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 01:02:08 PM »
See, I was also told that I wouldn't be able to get an analog patch out of most boards.  oy!

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 01:04:30 PM »
most boards you will not be able to get a digital patch out of.  as a matter of fact in the last 3-4 years of taping i can only think of one instance of getting a digi board and that was from keller.  think analog and have digital ready to get patches from other tapers

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 01:23:29 PM »
Also, you need to consider whether you're getting a patch directly off the board, or off of other tapers who are already patched into the board.  Unless you are going to very small shows, in many instances, shows that both allow taping and allow soundboard patches will already have tapers patched out of the soundboard who will have an outboard A/D or at least a DAT which has a better internal A/D compared to the JB3.

So if you're getting a patch out of a DAT chain that is already patched into the board, the list of equipment you posted is what you will need (and BTW, both lists are essentially the same).

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:30:38 PM »
not to hijack this thread, but Todd this goes with your post- is anyone doing a comp of a line in comparison between the jb3, d7, d8, m1, d100, and vxpocket?  i think it would be interesting to see what we come up with as far as the a/d conversion all at 16/44.1

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 03:23:16 PM »
The shows I am mainly doing will be very small.  My main band is a project some friends are in and I will almost 100% likely be the only taper.  Other than that I am doing local acts where again, I will be the only person a vast majority of the time.  So I am really looking at getting straight patches, not being in a chain.

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 03:39:11 PM »
then think analog, most likely thats what you are gonna get

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 03:54:02 PM »
The shows I am mainly doing will be very small.  My main band is a project some friends are in and I will almost 100% likely be the only taper.  Other than that I am doing local acts where again, I will be the only person a vast majority of the time.  So I am really looking at getting straight patches, not being in a chain.

I use a 3 ft. mini > mini cable
a 3 ft. mini > dual rca cable
a female mini > 2 male mini y-cable
2 mini > 1/4" plugs
2 1/4" > XLR transformers

That pretty much covers it, I think.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 04:59:50 PM »
Consider a UA5 or Zefiro Inbox. You'll want to get an external AD as the line in on the JB3 is no good, and you'll find a digital output on a house board maybe 10% of the time - if you're lucky.

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 07:32:30 PM »
Yes a outboard A>D is definately sweet if you can afford it ... but the A>D in the JB3 is realy not that bad (the D>A and Preamp are total shit though) ... just my opion, i would definately recomend just starting off with the cables (assuming your not getting mics anytime soon) and then add the A>D if your not pleased with the tapes your pulling.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 11:08:53 PM »
Right on.  I think that is what I will do.  Thanks guys.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 11:38:16 PM »
I stealthed a digital SBD for Quasi last year at an In Store performance.. heh was some kind of Soundcraft board if I remember.. they had ZERO clue. was so awesome!!
-Jim

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 01:33:21 AM »
I stealthed a digital SBD for Quasi last year at an In Store performance.. heh was some kind of Soundcraft board if I remember.. they had ZERO clue. was so awesome!!
-Jim

I almost did that at mule at the Tablernacle last November- take a line right off their master deck- but I didn't have the balls.

I'm only 20 and I'm already a hardened section rat.  Damn.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com