Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video  (Read 78332 times)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 - Feedback for HD Video
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2010, 07:03:06 AM »
Some clips I filmed recently with my DMC-ZS3.
The audio is the camera audio.  Not spectacular, but good enough for YouTube release.
I find that the ZS3 audio is better than that of my $1000 Sony HD camcorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOTkevYxhZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTgxYj9f5og 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jvkWXz4aHI 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqUkg3TG5JA 

Just for kicks, here are some stills taken at the same show. 

http://tinyurl.com/2498kjo

I'm pretty happy with this camera.  Does a decent job up close when I can't use my big cam.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline sabrewulf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:08 AM »
Interesting fact regarding EUR vs US version of these cameras (at least applies to UK vs US, but I think it's the same all over Europe):
all Euro versions have a built in 15 minute limit for filming. The reason is taxes. As long as they put this limit in place, it is considered a photocamera with a video function. As soon as they remove it it is considered a camcorder resulting in higher taxation, resulting in higher street prices.
So I'll go for the US version and hope they don't tax me for this when ordering if from Amazon (being shipped to Ireland). Any guys from Europe having experience with this?

Edit:
Just did some research:
37.3% tax on total amount of product price + shipping. Wow!  :(

I still want it. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the mics between the zs3 and the zs7? zs7 is supposed to record dropped volume in load venues, and it seems the zs3 is more stable with this. Can anyone confirm? Which one is better for concert recorings?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:22:41 AM by sabrewulf »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
Nice Rush videos.  The black background is nice tight.  Very impressive.  Thanks for the upload. 

Also, noticed that Neil Peart is sporting a set of Audio Technica M50's.     

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »
Nice Rush videos.  The black background is nice tight.  Very impressive.  Thanks for the upload. 

Also, noticed that Neil Peart is sporting a set of Audio Technica M50's.   

This little cam appears to shoot some amazingly high quality video.  The only show stopper for me is that you can't control the exposure.  When the lighting is right - the video is amazing.  But if it's too bright (you can see that in some the clips), it over-exposes, and I would really hate that. 

I realize you can't have the best of both worlds when it comes to cameras and shooting live concert footage.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #109 on: September 09, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
<<This little cam appears to shoot some amazingly high quality video.  The only show stopper for me is that you can't control the exposure.  When the lighting is right - the video is amazing.  But if it's too bright (you can see that in some the clips), it over-exposes, and I would really hate that.  >>

You are so right.  With the same camera, I've shot footage (also from up close) that was so overexposed as to be useless.

The latest model, DMC-ZS7, has manual exposure controls.  This is a significant upgrade and I'm considering getting one.  That way hopefully I won't have to rely on luck for the lighting situation.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline sabrewulf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »
[...]The latest model, DMC-ZS7, has manual exposure controls.  This is a significant upgrade and I'm considering getting one.  That way hopefully I won't have to rely on luck for the lighting situation.

But isn't there an issue with the mics compared to the zs3? (sudden drop of recorded volume) Or is the zs7 sound processed exactly the same way as with the zs3?
Please guys, any info on this would be very useful, I'd like to order this little piece of candy asap and still have to decide between zs3 and zs7.  :D

Thanks to anyone who has some info on this.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »
[...]The latest model, DMC-ZS7, has manual exposure controls.  This is a significant upgrade and I'm considering getting one.  That way hopefully I won't have to rely on luck for the lighting situation.

But isn't there an issue with the mics compared to the zs3? (sudden drop of recorded volume) Or is the zs7 sound processed exactly the same way as with the zs3?
Please guys, any info on this would be very useful, I'd like to order this little piece of candy asap and still have to decide between zs3 and zs7.  :D

Thanks to anyone who has some info on this.

Just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

If you're going to get this for shooting concert footage - I would value manual exposure much higher than audio quality. 

You can easily fix bad audio - by synching the video with an alternate source.  However, an over-exposed shot can't be fixed, and over-exposure is a very common occurrence because of the lighting at a lot of concerts.

This brings up another subject - the mics in these little cams simply are not made to handle the SPLs of a concert - so you should seriously consider recording the audio separately yourself.  I have been shooting video and recording audio at the same time for a while now.  For the audio - it's pretty much "hit the record button and hope it turns out nice."  I don't check it during the show because I put all my concentration into the video shooing.  Even a less than stellar audio recording will almost always sound better than what the cam's mic will record.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:18 AM »
isn't the sensor the same size on the zs3 as it is on the zs7 with more megapixles? Wouldn't that just mean a more crowded sensor with nearly impossible to detect differences?

BUT if you do want the zs7, consider selling me the zs3. ;) :)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline sabrewulf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »
Thanks, guitard! I absolutely agree with the stuff you just posted and will go for the zs7 now!  :)

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »
There is an exposure control on the ZS3 and while I haven't noticed a difference (I have it set lower) it DOES say it works with video in the manual. (Se page 49 of manual)

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCZS1.PDF

Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2010, 05:42:46 AM »
I've gone to several stores recently to get a "hands on" look at the ZS7 - but no one has them in stock.  I went to Best Buy and the clerk checked the inventory of all Best Buy outlets within a several mile radius and not a single one to be found.

I suppose that's a good sign that it's a high quality camera.  Although having said that, my real interest is in its video capability - which is probably not the reason many people buy it.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:44 PM »
not bad i put a note in another thread but i like the canon hv30 and hv40 series for the video.  And i use DPA 4022 and DPA 4061 for off camera audio.  Some real good captures, but since the internet community is a little suspect, shows are for personal viewing at this point.  Good luck in the vids

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2010, 10:22:33 PM »

This brings up another subject - the mics in these little cams simply are not made to handle the SPLs of a concert - so you should seriously consider recording the audio separately yourself. I have been shooting video and recording audio at the same time for a while now.  For the audio - it's pretty much "hit the record button and hope it turns out nice."  I don't check it during the show because I put all my concentration into the video shooing.  Even a less than stellar audio recording will almost always sound better than what the cam's mic will record.

Dead-on with that statement.  The mics on these cameras were made for backyard BBQs or a day at the beach.  Not live concerts.  If you want your video to stand out, running audio separate is the only way to go, IMO.

Offline exxile

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2010, 06:39:09 AM »

This brings up another subject - the mics in these little cams simply are not made to handle the SPLs of a concert - so you should seriously consider recording the audio separately yourself. I have been shooting video and recording audio at the same time for a while now.  For the audio - it's pretty much "hit the record button and hope it turns out nice."  I don't check it during the show because I put all my concentration into the video shooing.  Even a less than stellar audio recording will almost always sound better than what the cam's mic will record.

Dead-on with that statement.  The mics on these cameras were made for backyard BBQs or a day at the beach.  Not live concerts.  If you want your video to stand out, running audio separate is the only way to go, IMO.

I'd agree with that. ^^
But the mics on the ZS3 aren't bad (as far as cameras in this price range go) although I have noticed some audio disortion when filming close to the stacks, even when shows aren't that loud. I've have had good results from filming further back though - but I always tend to sync the video up with a separate audio source afterwards, and add a little 'sharpening' filter to the picture.

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »
recorded some stand up this weekend with mine...audio came out pretty sweet....

see what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbH7Kp9H744&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A7al72ypq0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EytxnoAPKc&feature=related

chuckling is my girlfriend btw...
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com