Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3  (Read 105236 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
Oh and @ 24 bit aim for the line on the display.  it works out great
I'd have to double check but I believe it is -12 (dBfs)

Noticed a little '16' next to the line on the display, so I assume the line indicates -16dBFS.  Metering is not certainly one of the strongpoints of the recorder but does the job fine.  I had no problems running six channels on it all last weekend-  4 with phatom power and two SBD. Pretty cool to gang the 4 mic channels to adjust their levels simultaneoulsly, gang the two SBD channels and get everything in the right neighborhood, then gang all six channels to adjust levels globally across all 6 channels using one knob, while retaining individual gain differences between channels. 

The DR-680 It was just slightly hungrier than my Oade R-44, both running 4 channels of phantom yet the 680 recording two more channels- a single 9v DVD battery powered it all day for about 12 hours.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
OK 16 sure...now you're gonna make me go get mine and fire it up 8)  Metering is ...odd.  It really looks bad initially yet after you use it you realize that they set it up pretty well.  You just have to get used to it.  It does not have the great display the HD-P2 does but then again they fit 8 channels in a smaller space than that.  I use the dvd batteries and like you said they hold up just fine.  I usually run an SD MP-2 & 680 off the same battery. 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:21 PM »
No need to fire it up, the '16' is printed on the display.  ;)

Having a DR-2d designed around the same time period, I guess I expected similar metering with a level number displaying the highest peaking channel or in this case whatever channel might be solo'd, along with the multiple channel bar display.  That numeric display comes in handy for things like matching levels more closely than the limited resolution of the bar displays.  But it works fine. 

Also ran cooler than the R-44 in the bag.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »
I didn't search.....  a friend is interested.....  does a Tekkeon mate well with the 680?  Thanks.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »
Oh and @ 24 bit aim for the line on the display.  it works out great
I'd have to double check but I believe it is -12 (dBfs)

Noticed a little '16' next to the line on the display, so I assume the line indicates -16dBFS.  Metering is not certainly one of the strongpoints of the recorder but does the job fine.  I had no problems running six channels on it all last weekend-  4 with phatom power and two SBD. Pretty cool to gang the 4 mic channels to adjust their levels simultaneoulsly, gang the two SBD channels and get everything in the right neighborhood, then gang all six channels to adjust levels globally across all 6 channels using one knob, while retaining individual gain differences between channels.  The DR-680 It was just slightly hungrier than my Oade R-44, both running 4 channels of phantom yet the 680 recording two more channels- a single 9v DVD battery powered it all day for about 12 hours.

I need to read up on how to do this

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
I need to read up on how to do this

Simple.  You need to have the current firmware for the feature.  Hit rec/pause and enter the channel trim display the same as you do now to adjust channel input levels one by one.  Ordinarily you'd push the channel selection buttons one at a time to highlight and adjust the virtual control knob on the display one after the other until they are all adjusted correctly.  To 'gang' any number of channels simply hold down the selection button for the first channel of the group you want to create, then before releasing it, push the selection button for the last channel of the group.  When you do that, those two channels and any channels in-between them are ganged, and all of them are highlighted on the display and will be adjusted with a single knob turn.  Pushing the selection button for any channel in the group then selects the entire group. Ungroup by doing the press and hold thing again for the first and last channels at each end of the group.  At that point you can adjust channels individually or gang a different group of channels.

You can have more than one group at a time as long as the selections don't overlap, in other words, no channel can be included in more than one group. So you can make 3 separate stereo groups to have each adjustable as a pair, one big 6 channel group, or any combination of sequential channels you’d like.

You can have different gains within a group, simply by adjusting them before ganging.  Once ganged those differences within the group are locked in and maintained, and the overall available adjustment range for the entire group becomes limited to the remaining range of the highest and lowest gains in the group.

In my example above, I'd first check to make sure the gains were equal on each of my mic channels 1-4, then group them and adjust them all simultaneously to my liking. Then I balanced the SBD inputs on channels 5-6 individually, then grouped them for a single stereo adjustment of SBD feed level.  Once I had both the mics and SBD levels balanced well, I unganged those groups and made one big 6 channel group of all my inputs allowing me to quickly adjust everything at once.  That way if an act like The Traveling McCoury's+LeeBoys followed Roy Bookbinder, I could quickly lower the gain across all 6 channels with one control knob without upsetting the balance between them.

Pretty cool and really only takes a few minutes of playing with it to figure it out.

Works the same way for the monitor levels and pan controls.  M/S processing introduces some constraints since those channels are somewhat linked anyway, but I haven’t played around with any of that.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2011, 06:58:57 PM »
Thats pretty badass that you can gang the channels like that :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »

Yep, pretty BA.  8)

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »

Yep, pretty BA.  8)

That feature plus the ability to pan during monitoring and/or the recording of stereo mix track are two of the of the biggest advantages over the R-44, IMO (besides the extra four channels, obviously).

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
I still really, really like mine. It's a great recorder.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2011, 12:58:09 PM »
I was recording a festival and only was using 4 channels with the stereo mix being sent to 7/8. I was surprised at how good the mix sounded. source: pair of omnis split 3.5' onstage + sbd

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Cool. I haven't used the stereo mix recorded to 7/8 yet, but 3'-4' Split omnis onstage + SBD is one of my favorite ways to go when available- simple, easy to balance and sounds great.

Offline O.DANTES

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
Hello,

Sorry to come and disturb you in this long discussion ....I'm interested to buy a tascam DR 680....
Could you tell me if this recorder is able to record each track at a time during the playback of other tracks already recorded for the same project? (as does a Zoom H4n for example). This function interest me to make some musical composition on the way...
Thank you for your assitance!
(I've got already an Zoom H4 but I would like to have better preamps.)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
Hi O.Dantes welcome to the forum,

No this recorder can only record and play back seperately. It cannot do both at the same time.

Offline O.DANTES

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
 :D
Hey, Great!
People answers quickly in this forum!  :D
Thank you Gutbucket for your assistance!
Are you happy with the general "sound quality" of your recordings using the XLR's inputs? Don't you hear some "clock" sounds in the inputs 6 and 7 just behind the display...(someone  reports this problem in a french forum...)?
In fact, I hesitate quite well with the Marantz PMD 661 (I know that in this last case, I have only 2 XLRs imputs, but the device is less cumbersome for "sounds hunting" on location, I would forget my idea of musical composition "on the way")
Would it be  a great divide, between the 2 devices, in terms of sound quality due to higher sampling rate / frequency? (192HZ/24-bit for the tascam vs 96KHz/24-bit for the marantz), or due to basal noise of the device/preamps? Does anyone have reviews for a comparison? ???

Hi O.Dantes welcome to the forum,

No this recorder can only record and play back seperately. It cannot do both at the same time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com