Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3  (Read 105248 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »
Anyone else have problems with slow write errors with A-Data 16gb type 6 SDHC cards? I had a couple during a show I was working a week ago. I've run a 32gb Lexar card for a while now with no problems though.

My experience has been that the 680 is a little picky about cards.  It didn't like a Kingston class 10 32gb card I bought for it (also slow write errors) but hasn't missed a beat with a Kingston class 4 32gb card that I now use.  It also didn't like a Transcend 8gb class 6 card I had, but that one had a slightly different label on it than two other Transcend class 6 8gb cards I have and work fine in it.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #331 on: July 15, 2011, 07:49:44 AM »
Anyone else have problems with slow write errors with A-Data 16gb type 6 SDHC cards? I had a couple during a show I was working a week ago. I've run a 32gb Lexar card for a while now with no problems though.

My experience has been that the 680 is a little picky about cards.  It didn't like a Kingston class 10 32gb card I bought for it (also slow write errors) but hasn't missed a beat with a Kingston class 4 32gb card that I now use.  It also didn't like a Transcend 8gb class 6 card I had, but that one had a slightly different label on it than two other Transcend class 6 8gb cards I have and work fine in it.

Thanks Drew. I won't use the A-Data in there, I gave up on Transcend with my last Edirol R-44. I do have some Lexar & Kingston cards. How about PNY? anyone have problems with them?
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #332 on: July 15, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »
Just repeating what's been said, but I had an Adata Class 6 that didn't work unless I moved things down to 16/44.  Replaced it with a 32GB Class 4 Kingston and it worked fine for 8ch at 24/48.  I never run at 96k, so I didn't try that.

Perhaps slower on transfer, but I'd recommend the Class 4 Kingston -- works fine and you can get them fairly cheap since they are only Class 4.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
We've been using a Sandisk Ultra 32gb card with our 680 with flawless results. Have done 6 x 2496; no problems at all.

Offline Myco

« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »
We've been using a Sandisk Ultra 32gb card with our 680 with flawless results. Have done 6 x 2496; no problems at all.

Well no duh...! as my daughter would say :lol:, that's a Cadillac right there, but it also comes with the Cadillac price as well.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #335 on: July 16, 2011, 06:49:33 AM »

Well no duh...! as my daughter would say :lol:, that's a Cadillac right there, but it also comes with the Cadillac price as well.

But you also need to ask how important the recording is to you.

32GB may be horrendously expensive, but 16GB cards are a lot less and 4 x 8GB cards are well affordable.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
To each their own, but $60 is not expensive. Not even close. It blows my mind that people even consider brands other than Sandisk. ridata, adata, transcend, etc. are all..... pardon my tone... complete garbage. If you've followed the SD market for a few years, you should know there is a big difference in compatability and reliability between brands. Sandisk is the best and the money you save is in the neighborhood of a beer or two. There's just no reason whatsoever to use a brand that could cause headaches.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #337 on: July 16, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »
To each their own, but $60 is not expensive. Not even close. It blows my mind that people even consider brands other than Sandisk. ridata, adata, transcend, etc. are all..... pardon my tone... complete garbage. If you've followed the SD market for a few years, you should know there is a big difference in compatability and reliability between brands. Sandisk is the best and the money you save is in the neighborhood of a beer or two. There's just no reason whatsoever to use a brand that could cause headaches.

So very true.  Spending thousands on a nice rig and cheaping out on an SD card makes no sense to me.  Even with a low-cost rig, the hassle factor isn't worth it.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #338 on: July 16, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »

Not super interested in following the SD market--maybe you could point us to some info. I've been using Kingston and Transcend cards with no problems for a few years. But if you can convince me that I'm much more likely to never have a problem with the Sandisk, I'll make the switch. I'm not into skimping on cards, and $60 doesn't seem like that much for 32 gigs.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »
'Follow the market' was probably the wrong phrase to use. Essentially, I've been reading this board and others for years and anecdotally I cannot recall there ever being a major issue with a Sandisk manufactured cards. There are some other good brands out there, but for my money Sandisk is the only brand I will trust. I recall many, many issues being reported with the various other brands previously mentioned; whether or not those issues are still in-play I don't know, but historically speaking their track record is less than ideal.

It's really analogous to the 'made in japan' vs. 'made in china' debate. You pay a few extra dollars to buy a product you -know- was manufactured under very tight tolerances with stringent QA procedures or you buy a product that is a few bucks cheaper and -hope- you got a unit that falls into spec.

Offline Myco

« Reply #340 on: July 16, 2011, 09:41:58 PM »

I meant no insult, sorry if it came across that way. Sandisk is top notch.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #341 on: July 16, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
nah man.. no insult whatsoever!!! I loved the Cadillac reference :)

I just feel that if you're going to skimp on a few bucks here and there, you're asking for trouble. Basically the same thing every single week with the M10 versus that 8493837 other pocket recorders on the market.

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
TTT  God I love this unit... I have been pulling gold with it.  Love that ability to slam the limiters...    love those two extra channels.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
TTT  God I love this unit... I have been pulling gold with it.  Love that ability to slam the limiters...    love those two extra channels.

Feelin' the love man. I'd like to try that limiter parallel thing sometime, except I'm usually running something else into 5&6.
Ran 5 omnis in a spaced pentagonal arrangement (~40" between each) into it last Friday for an outside gig with the mics setup in a small tree growing third row just left of center.  Got some looks gaff taping wires down the trunk to my bag, but it worked fantastic.  Team green mic-stand!

BTW, this was the first full 5 channel surround recording that I've brought home and played directly off the recorder via the analog outs.  No sync'ing, no computer BS.  An unexpected firetruck pass-by 3/4 of the way through has made me look out the window each time I've played it back!  I then wondered why I didn't run six omnis.  Too bad you can't adjust playback output levels for each channel like on the R44.. only level and pan for the stereo mixdown.  Fortunately I set levels close enough to each other that not adjustment isn't really needed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »
Last week I have received the six8zero machine's  schematic and Service manual. Planned upgrade some of the lytics to Rubycon Z low ESR.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:43:44 AM by headroom »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com