Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie w/ Tascam HD-P2 looking for your input on mics, external battery, cables  (Read 3645 times)

Offline syngltrack

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Just got the Tascam used and am sending to oade for the ADM mod.  Want to achieve good recordings with (hopefully *just*) this unit and quality mics.  Users of the p2, what are you using with good results?

Also, i believe in quality cables as they have proven out in my playback system, so I would like to either make/buy/have made a pair of good quality cables for my rig.

I did not have good results with the internal Duracell AA 2650mah batteries at the Philly Spectrum show, so looking for a good, affordable, long-running solution for taping at festival (with Delfest and Mountain jam tickets in hand and All Good and one or two others on deck).  Yes, I realize that affordable is relative and I am willing to put money to get the best bank for my buck on mics, batteries, calbes, etc.

Thanks for your input, in advance.

Cheers,
Cornelius

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
first of all, congratulations on your purchase
and welcome to Tapressection

without knowing your budget, it's kind of hard to make suggestions on mics
there are many different opinions on this board which brand sounds best
depending on the kinds of music you like to go see
my only suggestion is to get a modular style like my AKGs
which give you the ability to change the capsules (card/hyper/omni/shotgun/etc.)
or a large diaphragm mic like the ADK-TL or AKG 414 or a stereo mic like the LSD2
all these mics have switchable polar patterns on them to give you many options
to handle all different recording situations and personal preferences

as far as batteries... I have been using 2700 or 2900 NiMH in my P2 for 3 years now
you can get 3 hours or so on a set... but I have 4 sets
I stick with Powerex and the MAHA Smart charger
I'm sure someone who has been using an external Lithium Ion will chime in with suggestions

as far as cables... check the Yard Sale and the Retail section
since there are many fine cable makers here

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Just got the Tascam used and am sending to oade for the ADM mod.

Doug Oade will only modify units he sells.  You may want to try Busman instead for a Mod...

Good 12vDC batteries:  http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=944

I've been using Energizer AAs (2650mAh) with good success, though I usually throw in a second set of AAs at setbreak...  The usual place I tape also offers me AC Power... 

I use the ADK TLs, which are great for versatility.  But you can tape 95% of shows well with only Card mics...

Terry
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:17:33 PM by <<<ANONYMOUS USER>>> »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
i run my hd-p2 off this 8000 mah battery and get 6-7 hours run time. that is powering my tascam and an apogee mini mp from the same battery. never tried it by itself and see how long it will last.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480307-REG/Impact_BPD8000_BPD_8000_Universal_Portable_Li_Ion.html

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
i run my hd-p2 off this 8000 mah battery and get 6-7 hours run time. that is powering my tascam and an apogee mini mp from the same battery. never tried it by itself and see how long it will last.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480307-REG/Impact_BPD8000_BPD_8000_Universal_Portable_Li_Ion.html

I used to use one of these 9vDC, 7200mAh "Walmart" batteries...  Worked well, but after about 3years, it wouldn't hold a charge anymore...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
I used to use one of these 9vDC, 7200mAh "Walmart" batteries...  Worked well, but after about 3years, it wouldn't hold a charge anymore...
Terry

not to mention all of these "Walfart" style batteries are becoming discontinued
I just ordered 2 more last week to use with my V3
that are getting put in the closet for future use

Offline syngltrack

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Thanks for all your input, keep it coming--I'm here to learn.  On the mics, I will likely try to stretch my budget by buyin used mics so theat i can get the best bang possible.  Under consideration are DPA 4022s, neuman, AKGs . . .

Some of the wallmart type batteries are indeed discontinued.  Presumably I'm looking for the highest mah or Ah rating, correct.  Any issues w/ 9v vs. 12v on this unit (with running phantom to mics presumed).

BTW, Oade has hired some help and is doing mods on units he did not sell now (just hasn't updated his site as such).

I do festivals frequesntly so getting the max out of a battery pack/packs is important (as is recharge time)

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)

BTW, Oade has hired some help and is doing mods on units he did not sell now (just hasn't updated his site as such).

I wonder if he hired someone to go to the Post Office? ::)

Offline jkbyram

Please no oade bashing here.  A new member came in with relevant, insightful questions. We should help and not give witty comments on past issues.

That said, peluso and akg are 2 great, affordable options to consider.

dorrcoq

Please no oade bashing here.  A new member came in with relevant, insightful questions.

Very true.  However, since he is a new member, don't we owe it to him to point out that he should do his own research regarding potential vendors?

Offline jkbyram

I am neither an oade fluffer or basher (hell, I run apogee), I just think that is a personal responsibility any consumer should take upon themselves. I know I did. One quick search on this site will reveal plenty.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
I run a P2.

I have used it as a bit bucket and currently as a standalone. I power mine with internal rechargeable AA's as a backup and always run an eco-charge. I have 2 for festivals etc.

I run either AKG 414XLS/ST or AKG 460's (ck8 sometimes)

I have the TCM-Mod. I love the results from the unit as a standalone device. The ease of use and many many powering options makes it ideal IMHO.

I usually run it at 24/48. With phantom ON the eco-charges seem to last forever even powering the 414's.

http://www.eco-charge.com/batteries_ec90.html

The reality is that the eco-charge are kind of pricey. I like them for the ease of use and the ability to just charge them up and not worry about the discharge issues etc. But you can get 12V SLA's for pretty cheap and wire them up yourself. There are plenty of instructions to be found on this site. 12V SLA's will run the P2 for a long time.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
These threads I started may give you some things to think about concerning powering the HD-P2:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119953.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,114724.0.html

I use the AKG blueline series mics, Silver-Clad cables made by the folks on this board, a Busman Transparancy modified Tascam HD-P2, and I couldn't be any happier with how my recordings sound.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:57:13 AM by Kush »
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
well I'd sell that P2 and find something else that supports cards larger than 8gb.
Being an owner of one myself that is just my opinion..
Besides that issue I like the recorder but use it as a bit bucket only,
I think I'm more salty that Frontier and Tascam refuse
to even give an explanation  and no firmware update in 3 years and no where on tascams
site do they say that there is card size limitation

I power mine with a dvd battery the 9volt variety and used a radio shack adaptaplug
which works well.
The battery fits into the porta brace bag that you can buy for the P2.

Cables are a personal taste I feel but with that said I love my bulky zaollas.
I think they sound great and can take the beating of being in the field. I didn't care
for the "mil-spec" cables that are sold on here for the sound(they just made my akg's brighter)
and the small diameter, they are too easy to "kink"

Mics again are personal taste and affordability and my akg's work well for the bang for buck
for what I do. Would I upgrade my mics to something better, sure..

just my observations, I know a lot of ppl like the "mil-spec" cables on here and use them consistantly.
I carry mine with me as a backup set.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I use the Tekkeon MP3300 to power my HD-P2 and have been very pleased with it.  It didn't come with the right adaptaplug for the HD-P2, but Radio Shack had it for about $5.  I don't tape day-long festivals, so I haven't put its life to the test.  But after 3 hours of use, it hasn't registered as having been depleted at all.  In fact, even with fresh internal batteries in the HD-P2, after 3 hours it hasn't switched to the internal batteries (which it's supposed to do after the life of the external battery subsides to below that which can be provided by the internals).

What I have had POOR luck with is the combination of the Duracell 2650 mAh rechargeables and the LaCrosse BC-900 charger.  I basically purchased all of the above-mentioned at once (last year) and tried them all out at a show together for the first time.  Until I plugged in the Tekkeon, the unit would not even power on from the rechargeables.  Luckily, I had some regular alkalines with me to replace them with (for backup to the Tekkeon).  Once I got home, I tested the capacities of the rechargeables and discovered that several of them were registering only around 1500 mAh (though, upon receipt of them, I had put them all through the LENGTHY reconditioning process recommended by LaCrosse).  I tried the same process again on all of them, and this time the results were the same, with different batteries than the first time failing to charge past about 1500 mAh.  So I tried again, and again some of them didn't charge to full capacity, but it wasn't always the same battery nor the same "slot" in the 4-slot charging unit that was the culprit.  I was left puzzled, and made a note to myself to call Duracell and LaCrosse to try to figure out whether it was the batteries or the charging unit's fault.  And then I never did.  So I'm probably screwed now that it's been 6 months or more since I purchased everything.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com