Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: True or False: Frequency changes with volume.  (Read 2551 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
True or False: Frequency changes with volume.
« on: February 27, 2004, 08:38:29 PM »
Here is the short of it.  I have a recording.  Throughout the recording there is an offending noise that occurs at rougly 8.5 kHz.  In edition to removing everything above this frequency I also need to boost the overall level of the recording.  Does it matter if I boost the recording level before or after I remove the noise?  I am thinking that is wouldn't because I don't think the actual frequency a noise occurs at has anything to do with the overall volume...could be wrong though.

jpschust

Re:True or False: Frequency changes with volume.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 08:40:06 PM »
well i dont know that id say frequency changes with volume, but dynamic range changes with gain.  

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 08:42:12 PM »
what is the recording?
if you cut every frequency above 8.5 you will definitely notice a volume change...it might be slight it might be big. don't know cause i don't know anything about the recording.

why would you cut everything above 8.5 and not just the 8.5 frequency?

just trying to get a better idea of the situation

Brian

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 09:27:38 PM »
I'd say false....frequency does not change with volume.

What I think you're referring to is lowering the gain of a certain frequency in an editing program?
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 11:42:24 PM »
This is just a local show, solo person playing guitar and singing.  I have spent the last few hours checking and re-checking these files.  The bottom line is this: If all the frequencies of 10K and above are filtered, the offending noise is gone and there is no noticeable difference in the quality of the music.  I also took one of the original files and one of the altered files into SoundForge and the waves were dead on perfect.  Now, I'm sure that many audiophiles would gasp at how I have butchered a recording...but if I can't hear the difference, then I don't care!  Besides, I taped it...and it's mine dammit...lol.  :)

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 12:12:46 AM »
amen... your's and the artist's.  i'd say do what you think is right.  if it sounds good, then keep it, if it sounds better, then definitly keep it, its all up to your ears, and taste...  +T.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

cleantone

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 12:18:30 PM »
Bottom line is do what sounds good! but...

If you shelf off from 8.5K you will certainly cut out some overtones and I would have to assume some "used" frequencies as well. Unless the guitar player stayed in the 1st position they must have hit notes above 9khz.

I would highly recomend trying to notch it out more. What is the cause of the 8.5khz noise? Did you use a frequency analizer to figure that out?

Did you try a de-esser, or multiband compressor?

By cutting all frequencies above 9khz is essential like recording at 18-20khz instead of 44.1khz or higher...

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 11:48:29 PM »
Here is the short of it.  I have a recording.  Throughout the recording there is an offending noise that occurs at rougly 8.5 kHz.  In edition to removing everything above this frequency I also need to boost the overall level of the recording.  Does it matter if I boost the recording level before or after I remove the noise?  I am thinking that is wouldn't because I don't think the actual frequency a noise occurs at has anything to do with the overall volume...could be wrong though.

I think it would be best to boost the levels after doing your eq/editing.

I agree with others that it would be best to try to notch eq just the specific region causing the noise. But hey, if you are happy with it the way you have done it, cool.   :)

I think it is really surprising how little there is above 10K at a typical show anyway. I saw New Monsoon a couple weeks ago and clamped to a guy running AKG 480's (FOB/DFC) and recording in Wavelab with the spectrum analyzer on. Although to my ears at the show, nothing seemed to be missing from the highs, his spectrum analyzer showed virtually nothing at above 10KHz!!  Just FYI I wear earplugs at almost every show I go to and have good HF hearing so it is not just that my ears are shot.   ;)    If your case is similar it is not too surprising that you can hear little/no difference after applying a cut above 10K.

Now, I would also say that frequency does not change with volume. But applying EQ to your recording WILL change the overall volume. For example, rolling off the bass in your recording will reduce your levels.

Happy recording!
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 09:04:47 AM »
Depends on the instrumentation ... once you add cymbals to the mix, there's plenty up there. Brass instruments have useful info up to 30k+.

I think it is really surprising how little there is above 10K at a typical show anyway. I saw New Monsoon a couple weeks ago and clamped to a guy running AKG 480's (FOB/DFC) and recording in Wavelab with the spectrum analyzer on. Although to my ears at the show, nothing seemed to be missing from the highs, his spectrum analyzer showed virtually nothing at above 10KHz!!  Just FYI I wear earplugs at almost every show I go to and have good HF hearing so it is not just that my ears are shot.   ;)    If your case is similar it is not too surprising that you can hear little/no difference after applying a cut above 10K.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 09:05:16 AM by MattD »
Out of the game … for now?

BobW

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 06:56:10 PM »
In amplitude modulation (audio can be seen as AM of a DC voltage)) frequency is an independent parameter.
If audio is modulating an FM signal, frequency changes with amplitude.

False. (Unless your gear is broke.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com