Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic configuration  (Read 2528 times)

Offline mgleason007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
Mic configuration
« on: March 04, 2004, 05:48:20 PM »
Yeah it's me again :)

I'm going to try to tape my friends' swing band once I get everything in.  Just for reference I'll be using AKG 480 > UA-5 > JB3.

OK, here's the setup.  Most likely inside a room with poor acoustics :(.  Fairly large I would say, maybe 40' x 40'.  Now the problem is is that they only use the PA for vocals and a few brass instruments.  Guitars are just out through their amps.  Stack taping is definitely out for this one.

So how should I handle this?  I will probably be allowed to put my mics anywhere I want to, and I'll have the card and hypercard caps.  I've tried reading a few threads on setups but I just end up getting confused, and I haven't read one with anything like this type of setup.  Should I go with ORTF around 10 ft back?  I really have no clue but I'm thinking ORTF so that I get a wide sound stage to capture everything.
Mike

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
Re:Mic configuration
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 08:11:54 PM »
Depending on where the bass is I would imagine you would loose out on a lot a of low end running ORTF, although it might give you the width you desire. Go to www.dpamicrophones.com and check out the microphone university for info on different stereo setups. My advice to you is to experiment. You first tape will not be your best. For now though I would tell you to go with XY at 110 degrees with the cards and 90 with the hypers. Try that out then see how DIN and ORTF work. All that matters is how it sounds to your ears.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 09:40:17 PM »
Yeah I've been to there, and the theory and stuff is all well and good, but I don't know how to apply all of that to my current situation.

The bass player will be (all from stage) on the right, same with lead guitar.  Drums in the middle back.  The lower brass instruments will be on the right and the rest will be mic'ed (PA speakers spread wide in the front).  I keep thinking that I shouldn't have volunteered for this with no experience, but I think it will be good experience for me.

Appreciate the suggestions :)
Mike

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 10:08:26 PM »
[1] Will the players mic'd and output through the PA also have stage monitors?
[2] Do they have vocals?
[1] [2] 
 Y   N  |  onstage XY-90º or XY-110º
 Y   Y  |  see not onstage options
 N   Y  |  see not onstage options
 N   N  |  see not onstage options
Will you have the luxury of being there early for a soundcheck?  If so, walk around and find where it sounds best to your *ears*.  Then set up there.

If you're not onstage, get close to the stage but not so close you lose quality sound from the PA* and

[1] the acoustics really suck and you can't , run XY to hgelp minimize the room.

[2] the acoustics aren't horrible, try DIN.

[3] the spot you're in sounds really good, run ORTF.

* You'll know you're too close to the stage and not far enough back for the PA when you hear the PA sound go *by* you, not *at* you.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 10:27:41 PM »
Wow, talk about a helpful post.  No to monitors and yes to vocals.  I'll be able to get into a good-sounding spot I'm sure (I usually do when I go to see them cuz I am usually the "sound guy" and adjust whatever happens to be going through their PA at that venue).  Hopefully the acoustics won't be too brutal.

Sometimes people dance, sometimes people just sit.  Hopefully there will be tables and I'll just grab the closest middle table and run the mics a little over my head.

BTW, if anyone here is in the Pittsburgh/Greensburg area that would like to check them out, their schedule is at www.neonswing.net .

And as always thanks for all of the help :)
Mike

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 11:24:31 PM »
Brain is much more articulate when expressing his omniscient thoughts. Hail to the king baby +T all the way.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 12:23:34 AM »
One more question... what's the best situation for straight cards, and what's the best for hypers?
Mike

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 12:33:06 AM »
when i was running 480s i experimented a bit and found that i preferred din in pretty much every situation.  i ran din w/ the cards and dina w/ the hypers.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 12:34:12 AM »
Did you pick up Goose's recommendation? If so nice find.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 02:49:36 AM »
Did you pick up Goose's recommendation? If so nice find.

No I wasn't able to :(.  Small financial situation and then they were gone too quickly (stupid "immediate payment required" option :()
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com