Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digi-hits from DAT player?  (Read 1701 times)

Uncle Jimmy

• Trade Count: (0)
Digi-hits from DAT player?
« on: March 11, 2004, 01:14:14 PM »
Guys,

Pulled some tapes from the Greyboy allstars in Denver. The tapes sound good, but during the beginning of the second set i had adjusted my mics slightly. I got some digi-noise for a little bit over the first part.
    I didn't know it was happening, but my levels were hot. I fine-tuned the situation, but it turns out there was noise on the source. I was using a borrowed an M1, as opposed to the borrowed DA-P1 that I usually use.

Could this be due to something with the recorder? Or is the digi noise usually sourced somewhere else?

Thanks kids,
Jim

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Too Many Shows!
Re:Digi-hits from DAT player?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 02:21:12 PM »
i'd check the hours on the deck, take a lookat the heads to see if there dirty, its most likely the heads in the deck or the digi cable from the a/d > dat that was the problem
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 01:58:08 AM »
It could be a few things.  It could be the preamp clipping, a finicky digital cable, or dirty heads on the deck.  It could also be noise from the PA system, a nearby Smokeeter, or audience noise that sounds like a clip.  All of these things contain elements that may sound like digi-noise.  If your levels were running hot the entire night, my money is on the preamp clipping.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Uncle Jimmy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 09:50:20 AM »
OK, good stuff. Lets assume for the moment that I am correctly calling this digital noise. Lets also go for the preamp clip suggestion. Anyone using a lunatec V2? (Waits for laughter to subside.)

Now, does anyone pull clean tapes while seeing the red on a V2? Any other tips on that front? The sound is pretty good, but I'm killin myself with that little bit of noise. Maybe  I just need to be more conservative with my levels?

Doesn't sound too macho.

-Jim

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 10:39:06 AM »
First of all, that avitar is wierd and creepy.  That's for starters.

It depends how hot you are running the V2.  If it is blinking red at the high points, you should be fine.  If the red lights are sustained, however, then you may be running it too hot.  In a previous thread, someone remarked that when the red lights flash, you still have like 10db of headroom available, which is a lot.

Also, next time you set up in that location, check if there is a Smokeeter around.  In a couple of the local taping establishments in Raleigh and Chapel Hill, there are Smokeeters directly above where one sets up to tape and they sound like shit.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com