Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cleaning tapes...  (Read 2163 times)

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning tapes...
« on: March 13, 2004, 09:51:46 PM »
How many of you re-use a cleaning tape when it is finished, by rewinding it and starting over like the directions say? I have two of them at their ends, but am a little leery of re-using them. Thoughts from personal experience anyone?

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:Cleaning tapes...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 10:05:16 PM »
How many of you re-use a cleaning tape when it is finished, by rewinding it and starting over like the directions say? I have two of them at their ends, but am a little leery of re-using them. Thoughts from personal experience anyone?

I thought you were never supposed to reuse a cleaning tape?  I just looked at a Sony cleaning tape I have and it says in the directions to discard once you reach the end of the tape.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 10:05:18 PM »
I wouldn't do it...who knows what kind of crap is on the tape after you've run it through once?

I could have sworn I'd seen cleaning tapes that said "Do not reuse" but mine actually says you can. I find that suspect...not worth it for me, anyway.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Jason B

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 10:15:50 PM »
Both of my Sony tapes say to rewind and re-use the tape after it reaches the end, but not to re-use more than 5 times. I have never done this and more than likely never will, just wanted to get some of your opinions. +T's.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 10:48:30 PM »
FWIW the tape I looked at is a " DGD15cl "   I have no clue if they make different types..........
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 12:34:59 AM »
FWIW the tape I looked at is a " DGD15cl "   I have no clue if they make different types..........

That's very bizarre, Brian - I have a Sony DT-10CL and the instructions say (in part) "Do not rewind cleaning cassette each time when cleaning is finished; continue until cassette has reached the end, and then rewind it. You can continue using it after rewinding it." No info on how many times they say you can reuse it, though. Maybe Sony's changed their tune since '97 (when I bought this one)? Odd. But as Moke sez, better to drop the $10 than gunk up your heads. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 12:38:16 PM »

DGD15CL is for DATA DRIVES (though you can use them on audio too I suspect).  If you have the original package, is says COMPUTER GRADE right on it.

The question really is, would you want to rewind them in your deck, and risk throwing any crap they picked up back into your transport?

I'm with the guy that said "Head Replacement - $300/Cleaning Tape - $10

Rick
Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com