Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: starting out  (Read 6008 times)

Offline mmcdermott18

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
starting out
« on: July 27, 2004, 06:05:34 PM »
Can anyone help me out with what i would need to start out. What to get, where to buy it, stuff like that. Thanks
-M

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
Re: starting out
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 07:01:36 PM »
What sort of budget are you on? 

You're gonna need at the very least a deck to record to so you can patch out of somebody else's rig or the soundboard.  Your options from cheapest to most expensive are
1. Minidisc
2. Nomad Jukebox 3
3. DAT
4. Solid-state recorder like a SD 722

If you want to record with your own mics, you are going to need the mics, as well as a pre-amp that supplies phantom power and optionally a separate analog to digital converter (you can probably use the one in your deck).  Then you'll need various cables and clamps and a stand (possibly).

What you get all depends on what kind of budget you are on.  There are too many choices to list them all.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 07:11:59 PM »
I have the money to buy decent equipment im sure but im just looking for what would cost the least but still provide with a good quality recording of a show.
-m

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 07:12:16 PM »
Budget determines all. Once you get the bug, that can go out the window... ;)

Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 07:14:59 PM »
I have the money to buy decent equipment im sure but im just looking for what would cost the least but still provide with a good quality recording of a show.
-m

What is "decent" is very subjective.  Basically a rig is going to cost you somewhere between $600-$6000.

Plus, there are other considerations - will you only be taping bands that openly allow taping or will you have to stealth tape the shows you are going to.  This will heavily influence which equipment you get. 

Also, the type of music you are recording can play a factor.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 07:22:37 PM »
The music would be Dave Matthews Band mainly, that sort of music, lead accustic guitar. The band does allow open taping at there shows. I would like to know which is easier and cheapier, doing it as an audience recording or a soundboard recording.
-m

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 08:00:35 PM »
The music would be Dave Matthews Band mainly, that sort of music, lead accustic guitar. The band does allow open taping at there shows. I would like to know which is easier and cheapier, doing it as an audience recording or a soundboard recording.
-m

well running off a sound board all you would need is a deck and the cables to hook it up, but getting permision to run off the board sometimes is not that easy.  with audience recording you can patch off rigs or buy you're own. patching is cheaper as all you need is a deck and cables. 
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 08:03:41 PM »
Ok, so what are some good decks that are relativly cheap, and how do you feel about the minidisc recording option?

Offline drowned_in_milk

• Taperssection Regular
  • No, I can assure you that I am def. not a llama.
    • My Indie-fluenced eTree List
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 08:33:47 PM »
Ok, so what are some good decks that are relativly cheap, and how do you feel about the minidisc recording option?

noooooooooooooo, MiniDisc is lossy, so you don't want that.  I suppose it's acceptable for stealthing, but for anything else, defniitely not.  You can get a refurb'd Nomad Jukebox 3 for 180, which is waht you want to do most likely.

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 08:58:58 PM »
Alright, with the Nomad Jukebox 3, what options to i have to record with, is it just soundboard or can i do audience too?

radioboy1977

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 10:32:19 PM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4237.0

moderators, any chance we can get this link tacked to the top of the "ask the tapers..." thread as well?

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 02:29:31 AM »
well if you plan on taping DMB, you are going to need mics because you can't get a soundboard patch.  What you get depends on what you spend.  With the fantastic JBL line array they are using now for their PA you can get a good recording without having to spend a lot of mone.  Having said that, DMB of course is well-covered taperwise already so if your intention is only to have a good quality copy of the show you are going to, I suggest saving your money as there will be plenty of good quality sources floating around of every show.

But we still need a ballpark figure for a budget to be of more help.

Dave
- Dwight Schrute

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 03:36:59 PM »
Ok, I have around between 1,000 and 1,250 im willing to spend. Prefferably on the low end but we will see what goes down.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 03:50:15 PM »
Studio Project C4 mics or ADK A51s (~$300 pair)
Denecke PS2 and AD20 or Edirol UA5 (~$300)
Nomad Juke Box 3 (~$200)
2x mic cables - Canare home made (~$40)
1x optical cable (~$10)
1x AKG T-Bar (~$20)
1x bosh light stand (for your mics) and thread adapter (~$50)
Batteries, random stuff, various adapter cables, flashlight (~$30)

This rig is about $950 and is a pretty good starter rig.  Both myself and a friend here at work use this setup, he has the C4s>PS2>AD20 and I have the ADK A51S LEs>UA5.

If you go the UA5 route, you can matrix tapes.  Either way, with the AD20 or the UA5, you can do SBD patches.  The UA5 can be more expensive than the PS2/AD20 route, but it has more features.  However, the PS2>AD20 was designed for field use and runs on 9volt batteries.  The UA5 will require a special constructed battery pack (RadioShack ~$20) and it has to be modified for use without a laptop.  There are several FAQs on doing this yourself, but you can order it professional done from the Oade Brothers.  This has advantaged as they do several other mods to the UA5 - or rather they will modify a UA5 bought from them, but no others...

Good luck, and hopefully you are buying all this to tape more than just DMB.  Frankly there are already tons of people taping Dave with lots more money to buy super-taping stuff (a pair of Neumanns or Scheops are more than $1000 in themselves).  I think you'll have more fun taping smaller, less-known bands at your local venue...  To me, it has been more satisfying knowing I'm the only source for a show, rather than being one of several dozen...  But whatever, man...  Its your rig, tape what you want!!!

Good luck!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »
You could get something like

ADK TL
digi-mod UA-5
JB3

Add in cables and a stand and that'll probably clock in around $1200.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 05:09:53 PM »
To clarify the taping of DMB someone asked what kind of music it was so i used DMB as the primary example of the type of music. I know you can get his shows in good quality, since I am downloading one right now. But thank you for all of your help.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 05:30:28 PM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4237.0

moderators, any chance we can get this link tacked to the top of the "ask the tapers..." thread as well?

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 12:06:45 AM »
Does anyone have a site that sells this stuff or is it various sites for various equipment?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 11:14:01 AM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 11:17:05 AM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2004, 12:32:58 PM »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 01:52:57 PM »
I bought my ADK A51S LEs on EBAY from Andy's Music - there are several $300 pairs in Yard Sale here...

I bought my Nomad 3 from Amazon.com as they had a $50 rebate offer.

I bought my Edirol UA-5 from the Oade Bros.

Yard Sale here is great, if only I had some money!!!

Lots of my small stuff I ordered from various places: Googling the product and finding the cheapest place on line selling...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline mmcdermott18

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2004, 11:48:04 AM »
Alright, so I have what to buy and where to buy. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
             -M

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com