Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfering Casette Audio to Computer  (Read 5458 times)

Offline smokingpanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Transfering Casette Audio to Computer
« on: March 21, 2006, 08:35:46 PM »
I am very new to the whole putting tapes or whatever media into a digital format. I have recently aquired about 100 recorded shows, quality varying, and would like to put them onto my computer. They are all on cassette tape...  for the most part, the quality of all these tapes is mediocre. My questions are these:

1) What should I look for in a tape player in order to play the tape to my computer? I don't want anything too pricy, but something that will do a nice job and not provide and extra noise.

2) What kind of hardware do I need/should I get for my computer?  Do I need a new soundcard for the quality of my tapes?  Will a soundblaster work?

3) Anything else I should be looking for? Software? etc?

I am sure all this information is buried on this board somewhere, but I have been unable to find it.  I also don't want to spend a bundle of money on this project.. I have spent enough to get the tapes.  I want to spend somewhere under $200.  Someone had mentioned something about using a Nomad Jukebox 3 to hook up to a boombox or whatever and it will capture the audio into a wav format.. However I am having problems finding a realistically priced one of those...  I don't need all the fancy pancy stuff on it.. At least I don't think so. Since Nomad Jukebox 3 are hard to find, are there other cheap alternatives? 

All in all, I am pretty frustrated with this whole project.  I don't want to skimp on quality (what little there is), but I also don't want to fork out a lot of cash.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roving Sign

Re: Transfering Casette Audio to Computer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »
Regardless of your gear - the most important thing is to adjust the azimuth on the cassette deck so the tape plays on the same path it was recorded.

Just try whatever cassette deck you have handy, and the line-in on your computer...these days even the stock soundcards arent too bad.

Download Audacity - best freeware audio editor...very simple to use...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Unless these are some historic or mission critcal recordings - you will probably be happy to start with a simple setup...

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 08:59:09 PM »
i truely hope that you didn't pay for the used cassettes, esp. if they are 'taper-friendly' bands....

the above advice should work well. 

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
i truely hope that you didn't pay for the used cassettes, esp. if they are 'taper-friendly' bands....

agreed, hope you didnt pay for those cassette tapes

There is a "nomad jukebox 3" on ebay and its around 5-6 days left, guy out of harrisburg, PA
-its $155 buy it now with 11 dollars shipping and handling.
-only one battery, but that should be just fine for your needs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-NOMAD-Jukebox-3-20GB-MP3-Player-Recorder_W0QQitemZ9701868932QQcategoryZ75464QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Roving Sign

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 09:42:08 PM »

agreed, hope you didnt pay for those cassette tapes

There is a "nomad jukebox 3" on ebay and its around 5-6 days left, guy out of harrisburg, PA
-its $155 buy it now with 11 dollars shipping and handling.
-only one battery, but that should be just fine for your needs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Creative-NOMAD-Jukebox-3-20GB-MP3-Player-Recorder_W0QQitemZ9701868932QQcategoryZ75464QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why would he want that?

Offline rdflash

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:43:45 PM »
Why would he want that?

I want to spend somewhere under $200.  Someone had mentioned something about using a Nomad Jukebox 3 to hook up to a boombox or whatever and it will capture the audio into a wav format.. However I am having problems finding a realistically priced one of those...  I don't need all the fancy pancy stuff on it.. At least I don't think so. Since Nomad Jukebox 3 are hard to find, are there other cheap alternatives? 

Offline rdflash

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »
you must have missed that.

or you are trying to say thats my auction.

i dont know what you meant by saying "why would he want that?" when he stated he was looking for one.

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:56:21 PM »

i dont know what you meant by saying "why would he want that?" when he stated he was looking for one.

I didnt read it as a real ISO...

Someone had mentioned something about using a Nomad Jukebox 3...

A workable idea - but a bit of overkill just for this simple task...

Offline rdflash

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 11:25:42 PM »

agreed as overkill, but if hes going to get into taping, then hey - why not pick one up if the price is right.

Roving Sign

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:29:11 PM »

agreed as overkill, but if hes going to get into taping, then hey - why not pick one up if the price is right.

He's not getting into taping...but hey whatever.

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 04:43:43 AM »
He's not getting into taping...but hey whatever.

I don't know about that, his question is on "Taperssection" and if he has already
spent enough to get the tapes.

Maybe he should get into taping! Well at least the not for profit ethos ;D

Of course if he's got no interest in taping and has a pc/soundcard/mac then yeah probably not much need for a jb3

Offline orechall

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 11:10:32 AM »
a 3head tape deck would be a good start you can usually find those on ebay...I would recommend the maudio 410 card which you could use for not only cassette transfers but DATs as well and you cant go wrong with using wavelab as your program editor...just my .02 though.
DPA 4023's & 4028's->Lunatec V2 /Lunatec ACM V3/Sonosax SX-M2/AETA PSP-3(x2)

Hi-Ho Silver Cables and Interconnects

Roving Sign

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »
What would a 3 head deck add...that feature set is really for analog recording (near realtime monitoring)

...playback is not affected by the 3 headed-ness...?

Offline smokingpanda

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
I most likely am not going to get into taping shows, if thats what you all mean.  I just purchased these from someone (not for profit, but for the cost of the cassette tapes) and I want to be able to digitize them for the community.  Like I had said before, the quality of these cassettes are not master/soundboard quality, but you can still hear the band alright.  The two things I have in my possession now if I was to transfer this second is

The sound card that is part of my motherboard. (soundmax integrated digital audio)
A couple of boomboxes that have a cd player and a tape player
A macintosh/laptop from school that most likely doesn't have the correct software
Cool Edit

Yes, I know this is some kind of ghetto setup, what more should I add, or will this do the trick.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »
Why would he want that?

I want to spend somewhere under $200.  Someone had mentioned something about using a Nomad Jukebox 3 to hook up to a boombox or whatever and it will capture the audio into a wav format.. However I am having problems finding a realistically priced one of those...  I don't need all the fancy pancy stuff on it.. At least I don't think so. Since Nomad Jukebox 3 are hard to find, are there other cheap alternatives? 

I'm the person who mentioned the JB3 to Smoking Panda over at the ETREE.FORUMS.  He had asked the same question over there.

I recommended using a tapedeck into a JB3 (I do something similar - deck>UA5>JB3), if fact here is the post I made in that previous thread:

"Anyways, it might be easier or cheaper to find a Nomad Jukebox 3, or another MP3 device that records to WAV. A HiMD would also work.

Find a decent cassette deck and run that into the recorder. Later, transfer into your PC and use CDWave to track. That's basically how I do it. I have a Best Buy Sony deck and a Nomad Jukebox 3.

Other people use a variety of devices to help their transfer. Finding a really nice tape deck would be ideal. Nakamichi and Marantz make really nice decks that let you dial in the azimuth so you can fine tune the tracking of the tape (better sound).

Some folks also use an external analog>digital convertor (I use a Edirol UA5) rather than relying on the ADC in their recorder or PC soundcard. Still others just use the ADC on a nice soundcard. I think WIKI has a list of "good" soundcards. I have a Zoltrix Nightengale, but never use it. I bought the Zoltrix used for $20, and the AP2496 I think is about $100."

I hope we can come up with a better and cheaper answer, because, frankly, a cass(3) out of a boombox into a crap PC soundcard is not the best way to go about getting these shows into circulation.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com