Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring HI-MD to PC  (Read 3832 times)

Offline lushka

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Transferring HI-MD to PC
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:45:07 PM »
Hey everyone,

Recently I've been having a problem with trasferring my HI-MD masters to PC. I'm using Sonic Stage version 3.4. Everytime I press transfer there appears a sign on my md recorder - access error. Nevertheless, the recording on the HI-MD is intact and I can listen to it through my computer. Could anyone help out?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 03:49:07 PM by lushka »

Offline lushka

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Transferring HI-MD to PC
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:56:42 AM »
Come one, fellow tapers!

Please, help.

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 11:36:56 AM »
What type of disc did you record to and in what setting?  Im just curious as it seems to happen when I record in PCM and not so much in hisp.

This happens every now and then and can become a real problem.  depending on where the access error is you can add track marks before and after the error and upload whats good.  I had an access error in the first 20 seconds of a disc so i split the track just after the error and it uploaded fine. 

Sometimes that isnt possible because the error is in the middle of a song and you obviously dont want to lose your song so what I do split the tracks like i said before and then upload what will upload.  Download total recorder its not very expensive and is a really great program.  once youve got that installed start to record on total recorder and then play the track that has the access error.  Sometimes you can play thru the access error when connected to sonic stage.  Once youve uploaded everything that can be uploaded and recorded what cant be uploaded just splice the files together and you should be good to go.

On the off chance that the access error wont upload or play disconnect the MD from the computer and play the disc like you would if you were going to listen to it on headphones.  IME playing the disc is fine even if there are access errors and you can just do an analog transfer. 

I highly suggest you get SS4.0.  All previous versions will trash your recording if you try to mess with the uploading too much.  SS4.0 doesnt seem to do that.

If you need any more help msg me on aim and ill try to help you further.  Good luck!
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline lushka

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 04:19:47 PM »
Thanks for your help, man. Yeap, I encountered this problem when I taped a show in PCM mode. All my previous recordings were in HI-SP and the transfers went very smoothly. Is there any place on the net where I can download SS4.0?

Thanks again.)

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »
Thanks for your help, man. Yeap, I encountered this problem when I taped a show in PCM mode. All my previous recordings were in HI-SP and the transfers went very smoothly. Is there any place on the net where I can download SS4.0?

Thanks again.)

Check out the forums at minidisc.org there is a thread there with a link.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 10:55:09 AM »
I have been having the same propblem as dunebug81  and been resoving the issue the same way through track split before and after the problem.  On one recording it was so bad I had to just analog transfer.  It skips, but does not fail.  Im not sure what the problem is but it does not happen all the time.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »
Its just the normal write errors that happens during any write session for optical media.  Its just that sonys software (maybe hardware too) is so shitty that it cant do any error correction or anything to get past the errors.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 12:45:07 PM »
I was all over the minidisc.org page, where is the SS4 exactly?  Thanks!!   ;D

Offline dunebug81

Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »
you rock  T+    :cheers:

Re: Transferring HI-MD to PC (94 minutes is not enough for me!!)
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 02:41:13 PM »
this is off topic, but .....

I think in the future HiMD units will have a atrac lossless codec.  This could make Hi-MD able to record a full show in 44.1/16 lossless on one disc.
It would be very cool if they would make a model that had a good mic pre and decent PIP voltage Too.

Offline dunebug81

Re: Transferring HI-MD to PC (94 minutes is not enough for me!!)
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
this is off topic, but .....

I think in the future HiMD units will have a atrac lossless codec.  This could make Hi-MD able to record a full show in 44.1/16 lossless on one disc.
It would be very cool if they would make a model that had a good mic pre and decent PIP voltage Too.

I wouldnt hold your breath on the ATRAC lossless recording mode.  Not that I wouldnt love it, I dont think sony will do it.  It would be nice to have just under an hour of lossless on an 80 min disc and over 3 hours on a 1GB disc.

I always run line in with my RH10 even if I didnt have a preamp to run in front of it i still would.  the mic pre is better then the MT and some other newer recorders.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline M

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 04:28:40 AM »
 I have never encountered this problem.....yet.

Do you guys use that md lens cleaner stuff at all?  I do.

Also, does it tend to happen when you are moving around alot?  Is it happening cause your recorder is getting hit?

Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 09:47:01 AM »
I dont use a lense cleaner.  I guess I should have I never remember to get one when Im at tape warehouse.  Ive only had it happen to me 4 times in a year and have recovered  2 of the shows.  I dont know if its because of movement or what.  I dont think it is because the first time it happened was at a Creed-lite show I went to only a month after I got the recorder.  I listened to a little bit of it in the car on the way home and then started to upload it when I got home and got an error somewhere during the transfer and Sonic Stage trashed the disc making it "Not able to play or record".  I erased the disc and recorded onto it again at another show and it worked fine so its not the discs (usually) that are bad.  I have had a box of 5 1GB discs all give me problems when uploading but with the new version of Sonic Stage I didnt have to worry about it making the disc unreadable.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline lushka

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 03:16:26 PM »
During my recent taping session I sure wasn't hit. The venue was half empty. Think it's a problem with Sony's hardware. Have a friend who also complained about the same problem.(((

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 03:43:23 PM »
Its not so much a problem with Sonys hardware then it is with all optical write formats.  Your CD burners have read/write errors all the time, thats just the drawback of the media.  They cant do much to eliminate read/write errors but they can change their software to either ignore the errors, which most CD/DVD readers will do or code in some sort of logic as to what the missing bytes might be.  Thankfully the new 4.0 update doesnt totally trash the recording when it comes across the error.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com