Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua-5 jb3 svu-2  (Read 6036 times)

Offline shayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
ua-5 jb3 svu-2
« on: September 10, 2006, 10:31:46 AM »
I know there has been alot of talk about this topic, I have searched for the answer to my question but have not found exactly what I am looking for. So I hope no one gets bent out of shape because this topic has been covered but I really want to know. I know I need the svu2 for monitering my levels, not sure if I should run out of the ua-5 or the jb3, if I run it out of  the ua-5 is there any way that the levels could oveload the jb3, or can I feel safe that the levels comming out of the ua-5 are good then the levels in the jb3 are good as well. Should I just run out of the line out on the jb3 and I would be sure, also is there any calibration needed or does everything run on the same decibal meter. I hope this makes sense, any help is greatly appreciated.
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lágrimas de Sangre - Guayasamín
Re: ua-5 jb3 svu-2
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 10:56:06 AM »
Run it out of the UA5 and you'll be fine. I  usually let mine peak around -4db or so.

Nobility is expensive, nonproductive and parasitic, siphoning away too much of society's energy to satisfy its frivolous cravings.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:15:23 AM »
run it out of the jb3 and you will be safer and still be able to let people patch from the ua5
safer because if the jb3 stops recording at any time you will still see the levels moving from the ua5
but if you are patched out of the jb3 if the jb3 stops recording you will see no levels--thus giving you more protection

make sure you calibrate it too
use a program to make white noise at set it so you know its balls on
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline shayne

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 11:28:56 AM »
Not sure how you calibrate or what white noise is, I am getting a svu-2 so maybe I will understand more when I get it. I think you are be right about running out of the jb3 though.
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

oniontaper

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 01:39:20 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=20129.0

read the whole thread and you will understand  ;)

Offline willndmb

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »
Not sure how you calibrate or what white noise is, I am getting a svu-2 so maybe I will understand more when I get it. I think you are be right about running out of the jb3 though.
ok what you do is make a mp3 of "white noise" and set it to be 0db
you can do this in programs like cool edit pro and such
then you play the white noise and "record it"
while recording it you can use a small screwdriver to calibrate it (there are little screws on the back you turn)
and you turn them untill the levels are at 0db
you now know that the svu is calibrated to be exactly 0db when it lights up to 0db

otherwise if the lights goto 0db it could really be recording at +3 thus clipping or on the flip side -3
if you are lucky its right no like mine was but others are not so its good to test it out

there is a lot more on this in the team svu thread - which while i was typing this got linked above :)
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Javit

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 02:52:47 PM »
^^ I don't know why the fuck I never did that before.  Mine were totally screwed up and I have no clue how I never pulled a decent recording before that.  SO just to make sure I'm doing it right....

I went into audacity and just clicked... Insert > White Noise and that's a shot posted below... are those levels at 0db?  I always get confused with the lighter green vs black green.

I burned that to a CD and fred it to the SVU and the levels were off the charts so I pulled them back down to right at 0db (orange light) right? 

Nobility is expensive, nonproductive and parasitic, siphoning away too much of society's energy to satisfy its frivolous cravings.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 10:03:39 PM »
well i used cool edit at work and you could tell it exactly how many db to make the file
but the pic you posted looks like it might be -5db or so
(the light green is showing the file noise - the dark green is unused db readings at the moment)
it doesn't matter what the db output is set at as long as you calibrate the svu to match it, i have a svu1 and the lights are green, 1 yellow/orange (0db), 3 red

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 10:09:17 PM »
Dont you guys want to sync the calibration to the UA5 peak light? - so they match...?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 11:14:11 PM »
(the light green is showing the file noise - the dark green is unused db readings at the moment)

Pretty sure in Audacity the dark green represents peak levels, and the light green...well, dunno, probably either RMS or VU.  In the waveform view, I believe the dark / light blue correspond to the dark / light green level meters in the toolbar.  So it looks to me like the file is nearly pegged at 0 dBFS.

For the sake of calibrating the SVU-1, the level of the white noise playback file doesn't really matter - what matters are the record levels levels while you calibrate the SVU-1 with the white noise file.

Edit to add:  You may view the waveform's vertical ruler as dB instead of the arbitrary -1.0 to 1.0 by clicking the dropdown (black upside down triangle next to the track name) and selecting waveform (dB).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:15:56 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 07:28:28 AM »
Also, you can use a sine wave instead of white noise. Use the SVU out of the JB3 line out, as stated previously.

Offline Javit

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 08:30:58 AM »
well i used cool edit at work and you could tell it exactly how many db to make the file
it doesn't matter what the db output is set at as long as you calibrate the svu to match it, i have a svu1 and the lights are green, 1 yellow/orange (0db), 3 red

So you're saying there that no matter what the db is on the white noise (whether it be -5 or 0db or whatever) that the SVU is just getting calibrated and not so much tuned to that db level?  For example - if that file was at -5 the svu wouldn't think that from now on any levels hitting -5 were peaking.. right?

Offline willndmb

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 01:45:13 PM »
Dont you guys want to sync the calibration to the UA5 peak light? - so they match...?
you could, i didn't do mine that way though--i don't pay attn to it at all
i totally use the svu

Offline willndmb

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »

So you're saying there that no matter what the db is on the white noise (whether it be -5 or 0db or whatever) that the SVU is just getting calibrated and not so much tuned to that db level?  For example - if that file was at -5 the svu wouldn't think that from now on any levels hitting -5 were peaking.. right?
if i understand what you are saying - then no
if you use a -5db file you set the svu -5 light to match it, if you use a -3db file then you want the -3 svu light to match, if 0 then 0
whatever the file db is you want the svu light to match
what you don't want is a -5 db file and the 0db svu light matching, otherwise you have a uncalibrated svu and it will not do you much good

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 01:54:10 PM »
I'd think that the ua5's peak light is key to the synch process.  The ua5 peak light illuminates at around -2db.  Thus, if feeding white (continuous) noise to the ua5 via mics, one would simply raise the ua5 levels so the peak light just illuminates (do one channel @ a time) and then calibrate the suv-2 so that it's showing -1 db (to give a bit of headroom). 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com