Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua-5 jb3 svu-2  (Read 6038 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ua-5 jb3 svu-2
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 02:25:10 PM »
FWIW, here's what I did:

• created a white noise playback file; didn't care about the specific dB level, but it was somewhere between -6 and 0 dBFS
  • played back (looped) the white noise file from my PC to my stereo (one could also burn to CD for playback on the stereo)
  • set up my recording gear as I would in the field, with both mics directly in front of one of my speakers, so they occupy as close to a single point as possible
  • connected the digital output of the UA5 to my PC's soundcard
  • started recording on my PC (probably using Adobe Audition at the time, but Audacity or Wavelab or any other recording s/w that allows you to monitor levels will work)
  • while monitoring the levels in my PC recording s/w, adjusted the L channel levels on the UA5 until they were just a hair below 0 dBFS
  • adjusted the SVU-x L channel accordingly;  FWIW, I ignored the level #s on the SVU-x and set the "highest" LED so that it triggered just a hair below 0 dBFS on my PC recording software
  • while monitoring the levels in my PC recording s/w, adjusted the R channel levels on the UA5 until they were just a hair below 0 dBFS
  • adjusted the SVU-x R channel accordingly;  FWIW, I ignored the level #s on the SVU-x and set the "highest" LED so that it triggered at just a hair below 0 dBFS on my PC recording software
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 03:26:52 PM »
FWIW, here's what I did:

• created a white noise playback file; didn't care about the specific dB level, but it was somewhere between -6 and 0 dBFS
  • played back (looped) the white noise file from my PC to my stereo (one could also burn to CD for playback on the stereo)
  • set up my recording gear as I would in the field, with both mics directly in front of one of my speakers, so they occupy as close to a single point as possible
  • connected the digital output of the UA5 to my PC's soundcard
  • started recording on my PC (probably using Adobe Audition at the time, but Audacity or Wavelab or any other recording s/w that allows you to monitor levels will work)
  • while monitoring the levels in my PC recording s/w, adjusted the L channel levels on the UA5 until they were just a hair below 0 dBFS
  • adjusted the SVU-x L channel accordingly;  FWIW, I ignored the level #s on the SVU-x and set the "highest" LED so that it triggered just a hair below 0 dBFS on my PC recording software
  • while monitoring the levels in my PC recording s/w, adjusted the R channel levels on the UA5 until they were just a hair below 0 dBFS
  • adjusted the SVU-x R channel accordingly;  FWIW, I ignored the level #s on the SVU-x and set the "highest" LED so that it triggered at just a hair below 0 dBFS on my PC recording software
thats basically what i did too
good breakdown explanation
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Lágrimas de Sangre - Guayasamín
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
^^ So my question is..... was the source I used for my white noise, at 0db?  It appears to be but I need to be sure.  Here's what I did...

Created that .wav file at about 1:30 and burned it to a CD.  Put the CD in my DVD player.  Used the RCA outs of the DVD player and put it into the SVU... hit play... calibrated levels to 0.   

Now I assume that's all good IF my white noise file was at 0db....

Nobility is expensive, nonproductive and parasitic, siphoning away too much of society's energy to satisfy its frivolous cravings.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 05:14:09 PM »
^^ So my question is..... was the source I used for my white noise, at 0db?  It appears to be but I need to be sure.

Yes, the white noise file you created looks to me like it's at 0 dBFS.  But it doesn't matter.  More below...

Here's what I did...

Created that .wav file at about 1:30 and burned it to a CD.  Put the CD in my DVD player.  Used the RCA outs of the DVD player and put it into the SVU... hit play... calibrated levels to 0.   

Now I assume that's all good IF my white noise file was at 0db....

Definitely not all good.  What you've done above is calibrate your SVU-x to the output levels of your DVD player.  You need to calibrate your SVU-x to the UA5 while it's recording.  If you have a soundcard with digital input, try the steps I outlined above.  If not...well, you need to have some way of monitoring the UA5's record levels while recording, -aside- from the SVU-x, so you then may calibrate the SVU-x meters to the UA5's record levels.  Instead of a computer with a digital input soundcard, you could use a DAT recorder's meters to monitor the UA5 levels and calibrate the SVU-x.
Roland R-05

Offline Javit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Lágrimas de Sangre - Guayasamín
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »
^^ Thanks.  This is getting hairy now as I don't have all the equip to do that.

I don't have a good stereo system.  Nor do I have a DAT Deck handy to monitor my levels.  I'm screwed.   AND I have a concert this Sunday in Ohio.  Sweet.

Nobility is expensive, nonproductive and parasitic, siphoning away too much of society's energy to satisfy its frivolous cravings.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 10:49:06 PM »

I don't have a good stereo system.  Nor do I have a DAT Deck handy to monitor my levels.  I'm screwed.   AND I have a concert this Sunday in Ohio.  Sweet.

You don't need a good stereo system to it.  Any old stereo, even a POS boombox, will do.  Burn the white noise WAV to CD as you did before.  Set up everything as I describe in my previous post.  And if you don't have a soundcard with digital-input or a DAT recorder, you could hook up the UA5 to your PC via USB to monitor the levels while you calibrate.
Roland R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 10:53:19 PM »
worse comes to worse, get it close for now
you can do that by watching the peak light on your ua5, it comes on around -3, -2 db
so if you see the light flickering and you svu light is set at -3 you will be close enough not to ruin your recording
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 12:08:12 AM »
I've got to say I'm lucky... my SVU1 out of the box was dead nuts on for my UA5/JB3 and close enough it does not need adjusting for the R-4 espically since I run lower levels at 24bit.  Went through all of the callibrating but never needed to change anything.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 06:57:54 PM »

I did this once and when I was at the 1/st show after I calibrated my SVU-1 this way I found my levels brickwalling big time. I had to adjust my levels on the fly w/ the UA5 light but luckily this was the during the open act. Hope never to do this again.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com