Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My Sony PCM-M10 has lost it's PIP  (Read 3610 times)

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
My Sony PCM-M10 has lost it's PIP
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:56:44 AM »
I've never used PIP on the M10 that much, but I needed it today and wondered why the electret capsules I'd just wired up didn't work. They work OK in my DR-70D. Checked PIP on/off in the Sony's menu, then tried fresh batts. Plugging in the mics brings up the PIP on/off dialog box, entering 'PIP on' has no effect--put a voltmeter on the mic line and it reads zero :'(

Anybody else had an M10 with dead PIP?

thanks
Dave

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:59:42 AM by groovon »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: My Sony PCM-M10 has lost it's PIP
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:14:06 AM »
I've never used PIP on the M10 that much, but I needed it today and wondered why the electret capsules I'd just wired up didn't work. They work OK in my DR-70D. Checked PIP on/off in the Sony's menu, then tried fresh batts. Plugging in the mics brings up the PIP on/off dialog box, entering 'PIP on' has no effect--put a voltmeter on the mic line and it reads zero :'(

thanks
Dave

Never had this issue, but on my first M10 I determined one of the built-in mics was 2-3dB lower than the other.  I contacted Sony Professional tech support and they set me up with a service center in Teaneck, NJ where it was examined and found to be faulty, after which they sent me a new unit.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:24:38 AM »

thanks
Dave

Never had this issue, but on my first M10 I determined one of the built-in mics was 2-3dB lower than the other.  I contacted Sony Professional tech support and they set me up with a service center in Teaneck, NJ where it was examined and found to be faulty, after which they sent me a new unit.

Was it within warranty? Do you have the number you called?

thanks
Dave

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »

thanks
Dave

Was it within warranty? Do you have the number you called?

thanks
Dave

Yes, it was under warranty.  I initiated the service by filling an online form; no phone call.  I was then directed to send my unit to service center in Teaneck, NJ since I'm East Coast.  You can see all of their service centers here, as well as links to initiate a service request:
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/services.servicesprograms.bbsccms-services-servicesprograms-servicecenterlocations.shtml
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
Thanks! I'm outta warranty, pretty sure.

Not too worried about losing the pip, not going to use it anyway. It's just annoying. As long as everything else on it works, I'm good...

Dave
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:08:59 PM by groovon »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com