Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver H120 CF Mod Attempt - Success!  (Read 160735 times)

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
Re: iRiver H120 CF Mod Attempt - Success!
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2008, 07:10:20 AM »
I'd need your help guys.

Anyone has tried a 16 CF card, bought on ebay?

I've looking many brands (Speedy Adata, Trascend, OEM brands) but don't know which one to pick.

SO if someone has installed a 16CF card, any info would be appreciatted.

Thanks,
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline petur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
sure...

AData Speedy isn't really that speedy, and I've heard some good things about the transcend cards.... My AData card was bought via ebay (but the turbo or whatever type, not the speedy). The transcend 32GB seems to be quite good for its price

good luck ;)

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2008, 03:29:43 PM »
sure...

AData Speedy isn't really that speedy, and I've heard some good things about the transcend cards.... My AData card was bought via ebay (but the turbo or whatever type, not the speedy). The transcend 32GB seems to be quite good for its price

good luck ;)

I've got a transcend 4GB already installed in my second iriver. So I'm gonna get a 16GB CF Transcend card. Don't really think that I'm gonna record that long.

Thanks for the tip.
Actual Gear:

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »
Is the card speed an issue for the transfer times only?  Recording a 16/44.1k wave is going to only need so much speed and apparently the slow 'speedy' is doing that well enough. 

I had my freshly modded h120 out on Saturday to record some steel drum samples and various ambient sounds.  It rode around in my backpack on my bicycle all day and nothing came loose so that was a good durability test.

Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline lordbelial

• Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »
Is the card speed an issue for the transfer times only?  Recording a 16/44.1k wave is going to only need so much speed and apparently the slow 'speedy' is doing that well enough. 

I had my freshly modded h120 out on Saturday to record some steel drum samples and various ambient sounds.  It rode around in my backpack on my bicycle all day and nothing came loose so that was a good durability test.

Well, Card speed is an issue for read and write to CF. Don't know the MB/Seg of the buffer on the iriver, assuming that every 3 minutes is writing to the CF. Anyway, I was told that any CF from 120x "in crescendo" should work fine.

And of course, a better speed for read will give short transfer time to HDD
Actual Gear:

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2008, 03:24:17 AM »
There have not been any tests to see what is the slowest card that can handle recording. But as I'm a busy man and my recordings always go over 1GB, I rather like having faster transfer times :D

Offline jonbo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2008, 01:59:07 PM »
Thanks for all the info...  looks interesting.
AT853 > 3-wire BB > H120

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »
jonbo, glad you got your 50 posts.   :P
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline pietrocorvo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »
I'd need your help guys.

I've looking many brands (Speedy Adata, Trascend, OEM brands) but don't know which one to pick.

Thanks,

As i wrote a few posts before, i did not suceed with the transcend 133x 16gb  although i followed the instructions exactly (so i took a sandisk 8gb; just copied rb from the 16gb to the 8gb - works fine - so i think this must be a special problem with this card, although it works fine in the pc or the camera)... anyone other experiences?

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
As i wrote a few posts before, i did not suceed with the transcend 133x 16gb  although i followed the instructions exactly (so i took a sandisk 8gb; just copied rb from the 16gb to the 8gb - works fine - so i think this must be a special problem with this card, although it works fine in the pc or the camera)... anyone other experiences?
If you get an ata-80 error I assume you have the wrong bootloader - yes I know it's a bit of a trick at the moment....

Offline pietrocorvo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »

yes, ata-80 error...
I used the 7pre4 bootloader from the link that Arni99 has mentioned in his instruction in this thread (on page 9)
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/viewfile/Main/IriverFlashing?rev=1;filename=bootloader_h120_7pre4.zip
isn't that the right one? As i wrote, the same worked on my sandisk-card ???
is there another option?
thanks in advance
pc

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2008, 03:39:41 AM »
Nope... too old

I just checked and it seems there is no newer bootloader for h1x0, I'll have to see if somebody can put one online to make this process a bit easier

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »
I'd need your help guys.

Thanks,
Yes, I got the 280x OEM 16g card from this guy: http://myworld.ebay.com/fastmemoryman
Fired up the first time and works great. Cheapest I have been able to find.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:24:24 PM by GrandMasterMark »
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »
Yes, I got the 280x OEM 16g card from this guy: http://myworld.ebay.com/fastmemoryman
Fired up the first time and works great. Cheapest I have been able to find.

Who makes the cards he is selling?

Offline eupeptic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »
For those considering which CF card to buy...

I started out looking for Sandisk cards (as they have a good reputation) on eBay, but then I noticed that all the sellers who have good prices (compared to retail stores) and do show actual images of what they're selling (not just stock photos) are simply selling counterfeit CF cards - so then I decided that it would be better to buy a cheap card (the Transcend 133x) from a reputable store (newegg.com). Also, I decided to go with only 133x (as opposed to Transcend's 266x line) because in my testing I've noticed that my iRiver H320 is limited to transferring data at about 11-12 MB/s when either reading from or writing to it (that appeared to be processor limited as the hard drive is specified to transfer data at up to 31 MB/s, and because most hard drives don't have a flat transfer rate [see just about any review that includes sequential transfer rates at storagereview.com]), and the Transcend 133x has been tested to read/write at 34 and 15 MB/s - faster than I am able to transfer data to/from my iRiver's hard drive.

(In testing by copying large files from my iRiver to my PC, I get 10.89 MB/s with the hard drive for 5 GB of data [7m 50s], and 11.76 MB/s with the flash card for 1.84 GB of data [2m 41s]. I haven't done any thorough write tests with the CF card in my iRiver, but it appeared to be getting about 9 MB/s while looking at Task Manager - which admittedly is lower than the 11-12 MB/s I would get while writing to the hard drive. I don't use my iRiver to transfer files between computers so write speed isn't that important, though one interesting thing I have noticed is that while recording with the hard drive it would spend about 6 seconds writing the buffered data to the hard drive [after 2m 28s recording at 16-bit, 44.1KHz, stereo], but with the CompactFlash card it would spend 21 seconds(!) writing data to the card for some odd reason... [it makes less noise on the recording (using an external analog input) when using the CF card, but still...])

Also, as mentioned on the CFModGuide, if anyone's interested in a different CF adapter which should fit better (as both connectors are on the edges of this adapter rather than one on the top and one on the edge; though it costs more) there's the PA-CF18T. The Rockbox page only lists the UK seller for this adapter, but there's also this company which sells it in the US for $24 (though you have to contact them as you can't buy it from their site). Though as it appears that you guys are doing fine with the cheap adapter and the H100 iRivers, and as that cheap adapter does fit the H300 series with modification, this is probably only for those of you who want the adapter to fit right in the H320 without having to modify it.

GrandMasterMark, have you seen this page? I haven't looked at that seller's feedback, but considering how low his feedback score is and how low the price is on the cards he's selling (compare to this 8 GB 280x professional CF card for $244 from amazon.com) it wouldn't be surprising to find out that your card is either/both not the capacity/speed that you were sold...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:23:06 AM by eupeptic »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com