Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ampli tuner + speakers  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Filharmoniker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Ampli tuner + speakers
« on: February 07, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »
Hello,
I like to buy a Ampli tuner + 2 speakers with a budget of 1000EUR. I have an old Pioneer device ('Midi') who really did a good job but...  ;)
I mainly listen to classical music (CD's). I put much more attention on sound quality than on volume. Since I have great experiences with a Denon CD player, this brand has my preference.

What about this configuration?
Denon AVR-1507 (75WX7 @8 ohm)
http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=299

Speakers: Monitor Audio Bronze 1 (249€/pair) http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?range=8&product=55
or Monitor Audio Bronze 5 (549€/pair)
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?range=8&product=57

Is this a good set-up?

I also heard Canton LE 120 (333€/pair) and Canton GLE 407 (699€/pair), but my first opinion was no very positive...

How much should I spend to the receiver and how much to the speakers? I clearly heard that the more expensive speakers (the 'towers') sounded much better in the basses, but is there also a clear advantage in the mid range? Classical music hasn't got so many low and loud basses...

Other question: the ampli: woul I be better off with e.g. a DENON PMA- 700AE for 429EUR? It has 85W X2 @ 4 ohms, so this is less than the other one?? It is not a surround system. Is it better to take the PMA- 700AE even if it has nog coaxial and optical inns? The surround systems have all this features, though I will never use more than 2 speakers, nor will I use my system as home theater ,... I do would like to connect my PC and MD (optical SPDIF) and , of course my CD player with coaxial. I think I will lose quality by not connecting with digital inputs. True? But the PMA is more made for music only? True?

Ok, thx a lot for answering
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:27:37 PM by Filharmoniker »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Ampli tuner + speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:04:32 AM »
being in Europe, why dont you look into things like Cambridge Audio, Shanling and Music Hall ?
all of them make exceptional integrated amps, and are located on your side of the pond.
look around

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »
Nick's right.  If you're only going to go two channel skip the multi channel receiver and buy a nice integrated amplifier.  I always look at it this way.  If you break a $500 receiver down into price per channel then a mutli channel unit's channels are worth $100 or less per channel vs. a two channel integrated for the same price.  Each channel is worth $250.  If that makes sense.  Plus you don't have the costs of a tuner, digital ins and outs, video sections, etc.  If you're only going to use it for two channel music you're going to get more for your money.  Check out some used units on audiogon too.  Better to buy from an audio enthusiast there then some schmuck on ebay.

Shane

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 02:55:55 PM »
Thx both of you for the reply!
- So: if I understand, I 'd better put my money in e.g. Denon DRA-700AE for 489EUR than in Denon AVR-1507 (with the multi chanel) in the same range of price?
- Does all these features like video and chanels are that expensive that I will lose so much on 'normal' 2 chanel?
- I have also one concern: the connection of my CD player with an integrated amplifier would be analoge, NOT coaxial or anything. Does that plays a role, or is it untrue that you lose on quality?
To Shane: sorry, I do need the tuner (great classical broadcasting ;-)

thx

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »
If you want a tuner you are going to have to get an a/v receiver or buy a separate tuner to hook up to your integrated.  I use the analog inputs for my cd plyer.  Mostly because of sacds and dvd-audio.  However I've always thought that analog inputs sound better for music listening.  More natural to my ears.  Now it could have been my setup at the time but I thought that digi inputs sounded just stale.  There was no warmth to the sound, very flat and unpleasant to the ears.

Shane

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »
well...that whole analog vs. digital debate is sort of dependent on the quality of the digital to analog  converter (DAC) in either the deck itself or the receiver.
me, I have an outboard DAC which I feed a digital signal to from my cheap-ass universal deck.
but if I had some $2k deck...that probably wouldn't be necessary as the DAC in that is probably superior to my outboard.

Many recievers have pretty good DACs in them.  Most (i would guess) would be better sounding than consumer level CD/DVD players, so running digi into a receiver would be the recommended method.

sounds like you are a denon junkie.
go with it!  it looks liek that DRA-700AE will do nicely for what you want.
and if its the same price of a 5.1 or 7.1chan model...then what does that tell you about the quality of the components used in each?

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 07:15:41 AM »

Many recievers have pretty good DACs in them.  Most (i would guess) would be better sounding than consumer level CD/DVD players, so running digi into a receiver would be the recommended method.

Sol if I understand: better digital?? (that means a multi chanel receiver)

sounds like you are a denon junkie.
go with it!  it looks liek that DRA-700AE will do nicely for what you want.
and if its the same price of a 5.1 or 7.1chan model...then what does that tell you about the quality of the components used in each?

So you think that the components used for the multi chanel are inferior?

That makes things more complicated: by using the DRA-700AE (2 chanel) I will have superior components, BUT I will lose quality by the DAC convertor (vs digital)?

I have a Denon CD player, who still works after 10years, that explains my enthousiasm... ;-) If Cambridge or Yamaha or so are better in the same price range, I'll take them into consideration. But it 's still easier for me to get the Denon in the shops here around.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 07:33:52 AM »
look around...research your situation and see what you can do.
Denon is fine and dandy...but its sort of consumer level.  you can get into "high end" stuff for the same money, if you shop wisely.

I would not worry about the lack of digital input.  Better to have a quality amp first.  I'm sure you love your 10 year old CD player, but any new one would blow the doors off of it...and probably for a lot less than you paid for that piece a decade ago.
dont worry about that part yet.  focus on the amp.

I would be checking Cambridge audio integrated amps.
the *ultimate* for your situation would be an integrated amp w/a digital input...not a common thing.  However..the music hall MAMBO has this...and kicks HUGE ASS.  they run a bit more than you probably want to spend, but if you could find a used one you'd be in heaven.
on the cheaper side is their other amp...same thing, no digital input.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=9
happy shopping.
:)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 07:47:52 AM »

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »
whoa...
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAL53

there ya go

THX!
So, that's better than the Denon stuff we discussed? It seems to suit to my needs though...
Any idea about the speakers I mentionned above?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 07:37:58 AM »
I can't say for sure which is better...but I'd try other stuff first.
new gear, new sound.  new smile!

as for the speakers, I've not heard them, but have heard of them. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 07:53:14 AM »
that NAD is sweet.  digital input/output.  built in DVD deck, Am/Fm tuner...
I would be on this like a cheap suit!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com