Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio DVD Creator Interesting Observation  (Read 9739 times)

Offline mhibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
Audio DVD Creator Interesting Observation
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:51:11 PM »
If I burn a 24/96 fileset in Audio DVD Creator, my DVD player WILL output a 96khz signal via the optical out.  I was under the impression that most consumer players wouldn't output more than 48khz via the digital out.  If I play a store bought DVD-A disc, it does appear to be limited to 48khz and I have to change to analog to get the full resolution using the DAC of the player instead of my Denon receiver.  Does the DVD-V spec allow for high-res digi output?

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Audio DVD Creator Interesting Observation
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 11:25:11 PM »
If I burn a 24/96 fileset in Audio DVD Creator, my DVD player WILL output a 96khz signal via the optical out.  I was under the impression that most consumer players wouldn't output more than 48khz via the digital out.  If I play a store bought DVD-A disc, it does appear to be limited to 48khz and I have to change to analog to get the full resolution using the DAC of the player instead of my Denon receiver.  Does the DVD-V spec allow for high-res digi output?

mitch

Both specs will allow digital output at all supported rates.  There is some DRM issue - perhaps in the DVD authoring itself or your particular deck treats the two formats differently.  If you could get a DVDA authored in wavelab or discwelder, you could test to see if your player is just blindly prohibiting the 96K digital output for DVDA formatted disks. 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:14:56 AM »
I kinda thought it might be a DRM thing...and I'd try what you suggest, except I made 5 coasters last night trying to make a f$%kin DVD-A in Wavelab that my player would actually play.  Apparently my player likes DVD+R and DVD-R media as long as you are creating a DVD video disc.  Making a DVD-A in Wavelab on +R media results in a disc that causes my player to just cycle the laser back and forth until I eject the disc (tried it on a friends' player...same story).  Burning a DVD-A in Wavelab on -R media causes the onscreen menu to recognize DVD Audio, but it never boots the menu and never plays (didn't get to try this on another player).  I can load the -R disc on my computer and goto the Tools>Import DVD-Audio tracks function in Wavelab, and it detects the disc as a DVD-A, sees the menu, can skip among tracks, etc....points back to my player.  I just find it interesting that I've never burned a single DVD video on ANY media that it won't play, and I can't seem to burn a single DVD-A that it will.  After a significant amount of frustration and a bottle of red wine, I downloaded Audio DVD Creator and plan to use it until I feel the need to record at 192, or until I can isolate the problem to my player and not my authoring process.

mitch 
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 11:29:55 AM »
well, one more vote in favor of audio-DVD-creator then.  ;-)

I was looking around on google last night and I could not find any indication that there is a specific DRM control in the DVD data format that would configure output port behaviors (which is sort of what I expected).  I suspect that your player just looks at the DVD-A and if it is CSS protected, then it blocks 24/96 at the digital out.  That seems like the most simple solution to implement.

If you do get a DVD-A made by someone on here that plays in your unit, I am very interested to know if it puts out the 24/96. 

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 05:30:59 PM »
After a significant amount of frustration and a bottle of red wine, I downloaded Audio DVD Creator and plan to use it until I feel the need to record at 192, or until I can isolate the problem to my player and not my authoring process.

mitch 

As mentioned before, I can't come up with a reason to use anything other than audio dvd creator at the moment.  Wavelab's process/product had me speaking in tongues with eyes rolling in the back of my head...

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 04:45:45 AM »
As mentioned before, I can't come up with a reason to use anything other than audio dvd creator at the moment.  Wavelab's process/product had me speaking in tongues with eyes rolling in the back of my head...

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Wavelab is giving me fits with all this montage business.  I actually turned here to ask a Wavelab question but I'll try this other program instead.

Ray76

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 06:20:25 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Wavelab is giving me fits with all this montage business.  I actually turned here to ask a Wavelab question but I'll try this other program instead.
The montage feature is easy with wavelab. Cant speak for DVDA..
pm me if you need help with montage ...

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 02:46:14 PM »
Thanks Ray, my main question is, do you add track marks when you are making your montage?

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 02:50:11 PM »
Thanks Ray, my main question is, do you add track marks when you are making your montage?

no...i just mix there...track in CD wave.

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 03:30:30 PM »
Ok, I got it.  So you need to make a montage for each song if you want it to appear as a separate track?

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 03:36:34 PM »
Ok, I got it.  So you need to make a montage for each song if you want it to appear as a separate track?

i never montaged em seperately....I always transferred the complete file to wavelab, opened new audio montage...mixed and rendered the whole file, saved and then opened in CD Wave..

Teddy

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 03:01:23 PM »
what i do is open the first wave. then edit>create audio montage from wav>right-click the area to the right of the first wav in the montage window>insert audio files>set gaps to 0 where the "wand" is>save>author dvd-a. thats the short version.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »
what i do is open the first wave. then edit>create audio montage from wav>right-click the area to the right of the first wav in the montage window>insert audio files>set gaps to 0 where the "wand" is>save>author dvd-a. thats the short version.

is there a demo version of audio dvd creator??i dont want to spend money on something that my brain cant comprehend..

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 03:30:04 PM »
sorry i was referrring to wavelab5.

Ok, I got it. So you need to make a montage for each song if you want it to appear as a separate track?

i tried to answer this question. i know nothing of audio dvd creator other than people simply use this for compatabilty of their dvd-a players.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 03:37:36 PM »
is there a demo version of audio dvd creator??i dont want to spend money on something that my brain cant comprehend..

Yes.  An unregistered version has some limitations, such as the number of tracks but will allow you to author audio DVDs.

i know nothing of audio dvd creator other than people simply use this for compatabilty of their dvd-a players.

I use it because
- it is $60 less than the least expensive DVDA authoring software (excluding the newer OSS stuff that is still in alpha)
- although I have a DVDA capable player, many people do not and I want wider compatability especially for the stuff I give away
- based on what I've read about wavelab and discwelder here, audio DVD creator is much much easier to use. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com