Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBE and CD Wave question  (Read 12900 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
SBE and CD Wave question
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »
I hear a lot about Sector Boundary Errors.  SBE's they call them.  You know, the bits that get padded onto the end of files and make the recording pop improperly.

My question is: does CD Wave account for this when encoding to FLAC? Am I unknowingly compressing my shows replete with SBE's?  Someone help me out here.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Re: SBE and CD Wave question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 02:24:21 PM »
Hm, after reading the "frustrated mac user" thread I'm beginning to think that SBE's are, in fact, the stuff of lore and legend.

SBE's are a myth I tell ya.  A myth.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »
my guess woudl be that the format in which it exports is irrelevant - its the precise location of the track cuts that makes the difference.  FWIW, I still have never heard an SBE artifact, but others report that they have, and I have no problem taking their word for it.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 02:49:01 PM »
my guess woudl be that the format in which it exports is irrelevant - its the precise location of the track cuts that makes the difference.  FWIW, I still have never heard an SBE artifact, but others report that they have, and I have no problem taking their word for it.

So how are you supposed to pick the exact slice of the wav to split it on?  Do I need to become some kind of mutant?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 02:55:23 PM »
So how are you supposed to pick the exact slice of the wav to split it on?  Do I need to become some kind of mutant?

CD-Wave adjusts the exact slice of the WAV you select to prevent SBEs.  You don't need to do anything other than select your track splits.  And I believe CD-Wave handles the SBEs when saving to FLAC also.  I assume it still saves the file to a temp WAV file and then calls the FLAC program to encode.  No different than doing it manually, except, well...you don't have to do it manually.  If you really wanna know for sure, email the CD-Wave guy.  Or check yourself:  save to FLAC, then decode to WAV, and use shntool to check for SBEs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 02:56:37 PM »

Once again, this is my belief, so take it fwiw - that's what CDWav does.  It makes sure that it cuts it at the right spot, and it's basically an invisible process to you.  However, being a mutant wouldn't hurt.  :lol:
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »

CD-Wave adjusts the exact slice of the WAV you select to prevent SBEs.  You don't need to do anything other than select your track splits.  And I believe CD-Wave handles the SBEs when saving to FLAC also.  I assume it still saves the file to a temp WAV file and then calls the FLAC program to encode.  No different than doing it manually, except, well...you don't have to do it manually.  If you really wanna know for sure, email the CD-Wave guy.  Or check yourself:  save to FLAC, then decode to WAV, and use shntool to check for SBEs.

+T, thanks for the info.  Honestly, I've never heard an SBE in any recording because I'm just not that discerning.  I just don't want to call the fire and brimstone of the hoards of audiophiles on Dime.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
Read the FAQ at CDWav. It explains about where it cuts and why, even does the math for you. All you'll ever likely need to know about why SBEs occur and how to prevent them.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
Read the FAQ at CDWav. It explains about where it cuts and why, even does the math for you. All you'll ever likely need to know about why SBEs occur and how to prevent them.

Hm, I loaded up the FAQ page and CTRL+F'd for SBE and didn't find anything.  I shall look again.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/faq.html#Technical

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 03:22:25 PM »
I've found that when I start with a 24 bit source and use cd wave I never have SBE's. However when I convert dats I seem to get the SBE's even though I used Cd wave. ??? I don't understand why that is. I use Trader's Little Helper which is a simple step and it's kind of expected to list the shntool output anyway on digipanic where I do all of my seeding. However if use cd wave to track and cut a tiny slice from the beginning and end of the file then that seems to eliminate the SBE's when seeding Dats.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 03:31:36 PM »
I might be wrong, but I believe SBE's are only an issue w/ 16bit files.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 03:37:47 PM »
i thought you always had to cut on the :01 in order not to get sbe's...if you cut at like :66 or something, you'd get an error.

*shrug*

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 04:07:45 PM »
i thought you always had to cut on the :01 in order not to get sbe's...if you cut at like :66 or something, you'd get an error.

*shrug*

nope, not at all.

if you use CD Wave, it will ALWAYS cut on sector boundaries.  the reasoning behind snipping off a tiny piece at the very end, is that the entire file might not be an exact multiple of a sector size (one CD sector is 1/75th of a second).  So, if you don't cut the last file, your last track will have whatever "remainder" beyond a CD sector that the original file had.  If you snip that last little piece off, all your files will be cut on sector boundaries, and you'll just throw away the "remainder"

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »
i did not know that...i guess it doesn't matter too much tho.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 05:10:13 PM »
just run your wavs thru flac frontend if youre on windoze and check the 'align on sector boundaries' box, done deal, since doing this i have yet to hear any artifacts :) YMMV tho
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.181 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com