Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADAT Bit Bucket?  (Read 3239 times)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
ADAT Bit Bucket?
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
I have some 8 channel preamps I use for multitrack recording.  It's basically an 8 channel UA-5.  Output is ADAT (aka Lightpipe) which looks like TOSLINK, but there is 8 channels worth of data.

The standard bit buckets are (a) an Alesis HD24, (b) some sort of computer interface that connects via USB or Firewire.  I wonder if there is another option I've never found?  I know JoeCo has one for thou$ands, I'm looking for cheap.  I don't need another 24 or 32 track solution, 8 is enough, and 3 hours of recording is enough, and maybe even 16/44.  Emphasis on cheap.  I can't help but wonder if there was some device that came out during the ADAT Tape era, it was a total business failure, but it would do what I want, and I can maybe find one cheap?

Rationale:  When I'm out at a standard taping gig (not multitracking) I use my R4, and normally I'm happy with 4 channels.  Occasionally I think it would be cool to run 6 or 8 channels, like the guys with DR680's.  But I'm not going to buy a 680, I'll either use the R4 or bring the big rig (which is really heavy, so I better park close by) and only use a few channels.  I wish I could bring an 8 channel ADAT pre (which I already have), and run into some magical device, which could conceptually be as simple as a JB3.  I don't think such a think ever existed, but I figured I would ask.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: ADAT Bit Bucket?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:31:46 AM »
I had a really good look for something like that a while back, the closest I could find was the Fostex VR800.  It's only 16bit, mains powered and it uses a scsi interface (and a proprietary drive format) so it's a pain to get the files off. No better than an ADAT deck really. Might work as a backup

Cheapest 'proper' option (at 24bit) is probably an HD24

RME Fireface UFX will record standalone

I think the JoeCo is your only option that can be DC powered.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
Try the MoTU 828. Light pipe input to Firewire.

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/828-makes-recording-technology-history

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:16:18 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 01:34:41 PM »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »
I was on a similar hunt for a stand alone HD recorder a while back but basically gave up. The only real options I could find for a stand alone 8 channel hard drive recorder is the Fostex VR800 (as already mentioned) and the Fostex VF-160.

I almost pulled the trigger on the VR800 but I decided against it. The VF-160 was a bit overkill.

I ended up getting a Motu 828 (paid $150 on fleabay) attached to a macbook. For a bit more portability the MOTU Traveler looks enticing (~ $300). The Traveler MK3 has 16channels of ADAT input but is more expensive ( ~ $650 used).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:50:37 PM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:49:54 PM »
Getting an inexpensive device would be great.  Then you could use cheap ADAT units, like the Behringer.

I was looking for ADAT in also, and could not find anything cheap.  However, I just noticed some of the Focusrite units have ADAT in. I think the Sapphire higher end models have it.  And these are USB devices too, so you don't have to search for a notebook with Firewire.  If these devices do have ADAT, and if it works, please post back here...

I was all set to get a Sapphire USB, but I'm waiting for Linux USB support.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
Getting an inexpensive device would be great.  Then you could use cheap ADAT units, like the Behringer.

I was looking for ADAT in also, and could not find anything cheap.  However, I just noticed some of the Focusrite units have ADAT in. I think the Sapphire higher end models have it.  And these are USB devices too, so you don't have to search for a notebook with Firewire.  If these devices do have ADAT, and if it works, please post back here...

I was all set to get a Sapphire USB, but I'm waiting for Linux USB support.

Richard

Was the Lightpipe stuff part of the actual recording interface - or was it  more about moving the signals around?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
It's a standard for flowing a digital bitstream like SPDIF, or TOSlink, except 8 channel.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT_Lightpipe

I think I've found my answer. Lug the HD-24.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
And these are USB devices too, so you don't have to search for a notebook with Firewire.  If these devices do have ADAT, and if it works, please post back here...
I will not trust USB for recording. Firewire is WAAAAY more stable.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline RichT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
I will not trust USB for recording. Firewire is WAAAAY more stable.
Some newer USB devices seem to be better.  Firewire can depend on whether the controller chip in the computer talks to the interface nicely or not, and that's not just windows machines- apple has a few dodgy ones (TI chipsets seem to be reliable).

For any of these it's a matter of finding a stable system

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com