Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sabinetek Smartmik+  (Read 373 times)

Offline bandarn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sabinetek Smartmik+
« on: January 07, 2024, 07:53:01 AM »
Hello!

I've been looking at bluetooth wireless options lately for use with smartphone.

I have found these:
Sabinetek Smartmik+
https://www.sabinetek.com/collections/best-seller/products/smartmikeplus-lp2
I haven't bought them.

Anyone tried it?

If you buy the package of two, you can record in stereo.
They have a built-in microphone, but it is also possible to connect an external microphone. Seems to be TRRS-Jack (like a phone, then)

They do have some sort of noise reduction, but luckily it seems you can turn it off in the app!
It is also possible to adjust the gain in the app.

An example of use:
You can put one microphone on yourself on one side of the stage and the other on a friend on the other side of the stage for a wide stereo image. Would be perfect for bands with two guitars for example.

239 USD

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sabinetek Smartmik+
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 10:58:22 AM »
Wow, expensive compared to more conventional solutions (eg wireless mic systems, although admittedly you have to use a receiver connected to the phone).  And the marketing is a bit over the top - "Do you want to increase your likes, views, and subscribers on social media by ten-fold? "  Heh, if only it was that easy!  And SmartMike+ paired with cardioid polar pattern unidirectional mic. A Two-pronged approach completely eliminating unwanted background noise." Er - cardioid mics reduce off-axis pickup but no way do they "completely eliminate" it, even with a shotgun pickup.  Anyway, interesting, thanks for bringing it to attention.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Sabinetek Smartmik+
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 11:58:48 AM »

There's been quite a few of these "on talent" wireless mics being produced now to meet the demand of content creators.

I tried the Movo version for fun at a few shows now and also have been using it for it's intended purpose - for recording dialog for video. It does fine for recording a voice but has VERY rolled off low end. This is probably a feature rather than a shortcoming for the intended users that are creating audio for video that will ultimately be viewed on a phone. Not great for music recording like we usually do it here.

I recorded a Bela Fleck show - bluegrass, not a lot of bass content, outside at 75 feet from the large PA and it did fine. Recording sounded better than I thought it would but it's thin. With some EQ it would be listenable.

Tried them again for shits and giggles at Eggy/Daniel Donato last month. Placed them on each side of the FOH enclosure about 35 feet from the stage. They overloaded intermittently throughout the whole show. Lots of distortion.

Caveat - I haven't used the mics you linked to and they say they are useful for music recording but I have some doubts about any microphones being marketed to "content creators" having the kind of frequency response or low enough sensitivity to record a loud concert even from a distance. I'll stick to my Church Audio mics if I need to be less than open.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.154 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com