Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder  (Read 25133 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2023, 06:43:02 PM »
What are the best mics you could power with this unit?
Spec's say:
3V / 5V / LINE Switchable mic power
I think 5V is just under what you'd ideally want for DPA 4060/4061... Maybe the low voltage version of those?
I am 99% sure 4060 & 4061 can be fully powered with 5-10v. 4063 only needs 3v.

I used the 4060s with the plug in power of the PMD620 at just under 5V and no probs at loud shows or otherwise.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2023, 07:18:21 PM »
this paired with an OG pre-amp would make a cool rig and small footprint and you could stealth it as well

i could also use it as a backup on my m2d2 or primary if i prefer the adac

m2d2>pr-2 would be a really small rig
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2023, 12:55:56 PM »
Still waiting for a date or price announcement on this one.  And an assessment of the preamp/AD virtues.

The stereo input is selectable for line-in or 3V or 5V pip.  Anyone know if the dpa 4060 etc. will run with 5V and this sort of adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275465573952?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOopwvh2IUurEIoj7ed6-zo_Yv_GA0cIJLRKCsuZDvKEV6IkKpZtg7oc

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2023, 12:19:35 AM »
Answering my own question:  I saw online that someone had measured the PiP open circuit voltage of the Sony D100 at 4.75 volts (most Tascams seem well under 3V), put new batteries in my old D100 and got a pretty good signal from 4060s with this cable.  No recording made to test for noise or other problems, but the response seemed normal enough that I may try the Deity PR-2 when it lands, if the price is okay.

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2023, 02:02:46 AM »
Apparently, it's going to be released in September 2023:
https://www.gothamsound.com/product/pr-2-pocket-recorder

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2023, 02:59:42 PM »
The stereo input is selectable for line-in or 3V or 5V pip.  Anyone know if the dpa 4060 etc. will run with 5V and this sort of adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275465573952?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOopwvh2IUurEIoj7ed6-zo_Yv_GA0cIJLRKCsuZDvKEV6IkKpZtg7oc

Should do fine.  5V is what DPA specs as nominal powering voltage for the miniature mics (4063 being the exception). 

That cable looks like the ones many of us here have hacked together in the past.  Assuming its wired with both shield/grounds connnected to sleeve, Left center conductor to tip, Right center conductor to ring.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline wordgroove

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2023, 04:08:48 PM »
is it diety 2? or zoom F3 - how bout some pro cons - d2 vs f3 talks.....???

looks like diety less metal than zoom and more compact? to get in venues stealth
if you don't need xlr

everyones thoughts?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2023, 05:30:42 PM »
Looking at the specs, dynamic range is 123 dB. That figure makes me wonder if it really is an autoranging multi-ADC setup like Tascam, Zoom, Sound Devices, and Stagetec employ. Zoom F6 dynamic range is 132 dB using 2 ADCs; SD MixPre-II series is 142 dB using 3 ADCs.

It looks like it can only accept timecode from other Diety units, but an interesting bit from the Gotham video is that the PR-2 can be a timecode source via 3.5 mm TRS output. In theory, than means you could slave or jam sync it to units from other manufacturers, right? The F6 does timecode via 3.5 mm so it would seem like a perfect partner.

Regarding powering DPA lavs: the 406x are supposed to get 8V, so I wonder how compromised their performance is with only 5V. You'd probably be OK with loud sources if you use the 4061, but for what I record I would be concerned about increased self-noise and reduced dynamic range.

Why can't someone make a little recorder like this with PIP settings from 3-9 V (or more)? Sonosax had this figured out many years ago with the miniR82.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2023, 05:46:35 PM »
is it diety 2? or zoom F3 - how bout some pro cons - d2 vs f3 talks.....???

looks like diety less metal than zoom and more compact? to get in venues stealth
if you don't need xlr

everyones thoughts?

The F3 is proven to be a great unit, sounds identical to its F6 and F8 brethren, can power any full-size mic, and is cheap. It's very well built aside from the ridiculous power/REC switch. It needs an external power bank if using P48 mics for any significant amount of time.

The FR-2 will most likely have better industrial design and higher quality materials, and probably a bit more expensive. Much more compact. You'll also be limited in what mics you can use it with without an external preamp or mic battery box.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2023, 06:43:18 PM »

Regarding powering DPA lavs: the 406x are supposed to get 8V, so I wonder how compromised their performance is with only 5V. You'd probably be OK with loud sources if you use the 4061, but for what I record I would be concerned about increased self-noise and reduced dynamic range.

Why can't someone make a little recorder like this with PIP settings from 3-9 V (or more)? Sonosax had this figured out many years ago with the miniR82.

?????

In the parallel universe where I ran a miniR82 for many years, the unit's eight tracks included a maximum of four analogue channels: a line-in on a 3.5mm stereo plug and a mic-in which could be wired for line-in, phantom power or (ONLY) 3V PiP.  Sonosax provided schematics how to wire for phantom or COS11 or DPA4063 mics (both run on 3V), and they sold me a DPA4063 set wired correctly (I think they also sold the Sankens wired).  Here is the schematic:

https://www.sonosax.ch/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/MINIR82-MIC-WIRING.pdf

The later M2D2 preamp/AD originally had no plug-in power options, phantom only, but after a few years I understand they offered an updated version with some sort of PiP, I think it was DPA4060 etc. friendly, but I can't find any info on this update anymore on their website, does anyone know if it's still available and what the mic specs are?

Jeff

Offline wordgroove

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2023, 07:09:10 PM »
thanks for feedback guys

whos getting a diety?

looks like i/m going that way

Taz

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2023, 07:44:11 PM »
If it's reasonably priced I'll likely try it, in spite of the 48 kHz limit (I usually tape at 96 kHz).  I will also be testing if the cable I linked above will power DPA4011 or 4015 caps with the active cable/preamp (these all work with the now deceased MMA-A and iPhone powering).  If it's expensive I'll wait for the rave reviews before biting.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2023, 07:46:08 PM »

?????

In the parallel universe where I ran a miniR82 for many years, the unit's eight tracks included a maximum of four analogue channels: a line-in on a 3.5mm stereo plug and a mic-in which could be wired for line-in, phantom power or (ONLY) 3V PiP.  Sonosax provided schematics how to wire for phantom or COS11 or DPA4063 mics (both run on 3V), and they sold me a DPA4063 set wired correctly (I think they also sold the Sankens wired).  Here is the schematic:

https://www.sonosax.ch/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/MINIR82-MIC-WIRING.pdf

The later M2D2 preamp/AD originally had no plug-in power options, phantom only, but after a few years I understand they offered an updated version with some sort of PiP, I think it was DPA4060 etc. friendly, but I can't find any info on this update anymore on their website, does anyone know if it's still available and what the mic specs are?

Jeff

I was being pretty careless in my response there. I was really thinking of the R82 being a very compact unit that could power phantom mics. I really had no idea what it could do for PIP. Thanks for the details, though.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline wordgroove

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2023, 08:19:55 PM »
do u folks think 96khz is needed?
i usually tape in 48 on a sony a19

Taz

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2023, 09:07:30 PM »
do u folks think 96khz is needed?
i usually tape in 48 on a sony a19

Taz

"needed" is a loaded word.  The Berlin Philharmonic records their live stuff at 192 kHz, or maybe even 384.  I have tried 192 (and DSD), and decided 96 kHz is fine for me, including editing with Rx.  Some people who do 48 kHz think 44.1 is undesirable.  Quality of AD is not a 1-1 matchup with sampling frequency, either.  So I'm curious about how the Deity implementation of 48 k sounds.

Jeff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com