Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MATRIX WITH THE UA-5  (Read 7771 times)

Offline jctibbitts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Support Michigan Music: Bumpgroove.com
    • BUMP
MATRIX WITH THE UA-5
« on: December 01, 2003, 03:55:21 PM »
can you do a matrix with the ua-5?

i am currently going :

SBD > JB3  
or
NT4 > JB3

can i do:

SBD
        >UA-5  > JB3
NT4

???

couldn't i use the xlr l/r right inputs for the mic and the rca/1/4" inputs for the SBD and do a toslink to miniplug into the JB3?

or am i kidding myself?

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
Re:MATRIX WITH THE UA-5
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 04:08:58 PM »
or would i have to record into two devices and matrix after the fact.  i don't know shit about the matrix, but when i record my band thru the soundboard sometime the sound guy will take our bassist right out of the mix due to his stage volume.  we try to have him turn it down, but then he's all fucked up.

so if i just do a mic feed i get WAY too much crowd noise (our crowd isn't at the quiet listening point yet).  

what's the best way to matrix this?  we don't have DAT or a ua5, but are gettting a ua5 right now.  

we do have:

sony md
jb3
denon rack cd burner
pre amps
compressor
eq

i really just want to go sbd > ua-5 (wmod) > jb3, but for those rooms where the stage volume fucks i everything up i need to matrix

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 04:35:18 PM »
no need for seperate devices unless you want to.

run RCA's in from soundboard and XLR in for the  mics. once you get the hang of setting the levels it's all gravy mon!

Good Luck!

Brian

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 04:45:11 PM »
Really...it's that easy with a ua5?  that'll solve my problems?  sick, now i just need 500 to buy the ua5 with w mod huh?

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 04:51:36 PM »
caymanreview did matrixing with the UA-5 for a while

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 05:22:58 PM »
W-MOD ua5 is definitely what you need. I have made 1 <self fluff> sick matrix </self fluff> at my usual venue before their board feed went the way of the dodo.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 01:17:09 AM by STL-Taper »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 10:45:23 PM »
The stage volume thing scares me when using the soundboard at a show at a smaller venue, as the soundguy is mixing for the room, not the recording...

I, personally, would record on two different devices so if SB is shitty, you can lose it and still have the room mics on their own...  problem being that if you want to use the MD, and use the converters on the UA-5, then you need a C02 coax/optical converter... as your JB3 will be using the optical out... DO any of those other devices have a coax in?

Also might want to make sure, if you go this route, that you can run out the coax and optical at the same time with the UA-5.   There is a switch where you can select between them, which makes me think you may not be able to run them both simultaneously...

My .02...

HTH.
Pfife

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 10:53:50 PM »
make sure, if you go this route, that you can run out the coax and optical at the same time with the UA-5.   There is a switch where you can select between them

The coax/optical switch is for input.  Both the coax and optical outputs on a digi-modded UA-5 are active simultaneously.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 12:50:45 AM »
can you do a matrix with the ua-5?

i am currently going :

SBD > JB3  
or
NT4 > JB3

can i do:

SBD
        >UA-5  > JB3
NT4

???

couldn't i use the xlr l/r right inputs for the mic and the rca/1/4" inputs for the SBD and do a toslink to miniplug into the JB3?

or am i kidding myself?

That's how I record my band all the time.  We suck so we only play at crapy bars and if I were to set my mics in the crowd i'd get too much talking so I put them on stage (XY) and matrix rca from the sound board.  Like STL-Taper said, once you get a hang of the levels it's sweet.  
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 02:21:48 AM »
wow, i think i may give this a try...seems easy enuf.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 08:31:26 AM »
it is very easy

i havent done any board matrixes yet

but i was doing a 3 mic mix, basically the same thing, i was runnign the 3rd mic into the rcas and adjusting it on the fly

easy, once you get the hang of it

one bad thing i saw, when running rcas into the back, and running optical out, the adjustment knob for the rca input is sandwiched in beetween them, and a little hard to get to in the dark untill you get used to it

i would suggest the little "mod" someone suggested for the rca input knob, adding a "extension" to it to make it easier to adjust on the fly

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 03:01:02 PM »
I've done the matrix exactly as you described it and it worked out well.  (NT-4 into the front XLRs, board in the rear RCAs).  

Only catch is your kinda guessing at the relative levels b/w the 2 sources.  And don't think you *need* the $500 w-mod UA-5.  $250 gets you the stock unit and you can do the digi-mod.

I wouldn't recommend this approach if you're mics are going to be much more than 20-25 ft from the stage or the delay issues will muck up the sound.  You'll need to record the sources separately and post-mix.  Chances are you'll need to do some work to line things up as most a>d converters don't perfectly synch.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 03:07:18 PM »
The stage volume thing scares me when using the soundboard at a show at a smaller venue, as the soundguy is mixing for the room, not the recording...

I, personally, would record on two different devices so if SB is shitty, you can lose it and still have the room mics on their own...  problem being that if you want to use the MD, and use the converters on the UA-5, then you need a C02 coax/optical converter... as your JB3 will be using the optical out... DO any of those other devices have a coax in?

Also might want to make sure, if you go this route, that you can run out the coax and optical at the same time with the UA-5.   There is a switch where you can select between them, which makes me think you may not be able to run them both simultaneously...

My .02...

HTH.
Pfife

if i read this right it sounds like you're talking about having two devices (jb3 and md) coming out of the ua-5...but you aren't going to be able to separate the sources between the 2 recorders, it's going to be the same signal going to each recorder even if it's on different outputs.  so you can't do sbd on md and mics on jb3 if they are both going through the ua-5.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Salsa Brava

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Only a fool is thursty when the well is full.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 10:00:35 AM »
I have thought about this for a while and had  the opportunity to try it but ended up bagging the idea and running seperate sources (I.E. SBD and AUD) and doing the matrix later.  We were worried about delays on either source causing an offset.  Has anyone had this problem or should I not worry about it?

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 10:09:43 AM »
u should definantly worry about it. a small delay could ruin your whole recording. it depends on the room, distance from the source and alot of other factors. i would personally do the matrix after the fact

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com