Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just ordered my new set up - should recv by the end of the week  (Read 6391 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Just ordered my new set up - should recv by the end of the week
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 12:20:25 AM »
Practice taping BS bands at your local music club.  Bands you don't care to tape, but you go and see just to get out - practice using your gear.  Most cities have a taper friendly club, so you could do it without any hassle.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »
Obviously, if you turn your head to look at the girls boobs next to you, you're gonna hear that in recording.

If you're not allowed to look at boobs while stealth taping I want nothing to do with it!  >:D

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 08:05:38 AM »
Obviously, if you turn your head to look at the girls boobs next to you, you're gonna hear that in recording.

Must....avoid....the.....temptation. ;D
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 08:29:12 PM »
im def going to practice before the show

any other thoughts , suggestions - are def welcome

Actually, a couple more thoughts did come to mind. 

It's been a good number of years since I stealthed, but I actually practiced setting up my gear by putting all of my gear in my fanny pack at home and then setting up with the lights off.  If you can setup by feel, when you get to the club you can just stand in the crowd while you just keep on looking forward and you never have to check your stuff until you're actually rolling.  Once I got good at this, the ONLY time I ever needed to look down was only once to check that my levels were center cut.  Yeah, I could set levels more ideally for the recording, but since I was stealthing, I was more interested in having my levels center cut so that there was LOTS of headroom at the start of the show.  That way I never had to check levels during the show. 

Having trust in your own technique will go a long way to getting good recordings because the more you mess around with your gear checking levels during a stealth show, the more apt you are to mess something up.  For getting good stealth recordings, you are often your own worst enemy.  Common problems are pulling out 1/8 inch mic connectors...causing digi-noise due to rattling the connectors while checking...accidently punching a button messing around pulling the deck out and putting it back in your pocket or fanny pack, etc.  So, once you get good, have trust and resist the temptation to check levels every ten minutes during a show.  It's REALLY hard to resist that urge, but you must because it will pay off in the long run.

EDIT:  In reality, I would often wire myself up before I got to the venue, or maybe in the bathroom before the music started.  But knowing how to start your recording and knowing which holes the mics get plugged into by feel are invaluable 'field recording' skills.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:31:47 PM by tonedeaf »

nameloc01

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 09:09:54 PM »
Here's another tip:

If your recorder has a "lock" feature to keep it in record mode...most definitely use it when you get your levels set. You don't want to bump the "stop" button by accident and lose the recording.

Offline TheGame

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
Thanks for useful info and tip!
However, i really wonder if you really need to freeze while enjoying the concert when going stealth. Are you not able to move, clap your hands without distroying the tape? I mean, arent cardiod less sensitive for crowd noise and general talk between the audience?

nameloc01

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 04:44:43 PM »
Basically, if you put anyting in front of the mics, it will disrupt the imaging. When you listen to your recording at home, and it sounds nice...then all of the sudden you hear the moment you moved around,or talked to your GF or whatever...its gonna really bum you out. And you will NEVER get another chance to fix it. Think about it that way. There is really nothing enjoyable about running stealth,really,there isn't (except for watching the show of course). A lot of times it really blows,standing there for 1.5-3 hours motionless and silent. But if you can do it, you will be handsomely rewarded.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »
Basically, if you put anyting in front of the mics, it will disrupt the imaging. When you listen to your recording at home, and it sounds nice...then all of the sudden you hear the moment you moved around,or talked to your GF or whatever...its gonna really bum you out. And you will NEVER get another chance to fix it. Think about it that way. There is really nothing enjoyable about running stealth,really,there isn't (except for watching the show of course). A lot of times it really blows,standing there for 1.5-3 hours motionless and silent. But if you can do it, you will be handsomely rewarded.

What he said.
BTW, you're right when you say "cards are less sensitive for crowd noise and general talk". But make no mistake: cards are way more sensitive when it comes to handling noise. So if you start to move around, not only your image will suffer, but you're going to introduce noise generated by, for instance, bumping the mics or messing with your wires. ;)
To make long stealth story short: stay still, you are nothing but a mic stand with a driver's license ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline thespangleman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 05:19:28 PM »
To make long stealth story short: stay still, you are nothing but a mic stand with a driver's license ;D

Love that! Great way of summing up a taper.
Sound Pro's AT-943 Cards > SP-SPSB-8 > Edirol R-09

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »

Love that! Great way of summing up a taper.

Glad you like it ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
Yes, and staying quiet includes no sudden bursts of singing either.  ::) Messed up a tape with that. And try to keep stealth...steath. That includes the people around you. If someone near you manages to figure out what you are doing, usually their first instinct is to clap loudly, for whatever the reason. ???
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline TheGame

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 04:00:14 AM »
Im not the topic starter, but i highly appreciate the great feedback this forums have. All this info is great input for us starters!
I was NOT aware that you needed to be in the freeze mode when doing records, so this was kind of big news to be. Perhaps i havent read enough, but on the other forums non have mentioned it so clear as here. I doubt i can be a mic stand throughout the whole show, but i might surprise myself!

I`ve read in an other post that there might be some sensitivty issues with the Olympus LS-10 recorder. Will be very interesting to hear your opinion after you`ve tested it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:02:29 AM by TheGame »

Offline Keyser Soze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 02:18:36 PM »
What he said.
BTW, you're right when you say "cards are less sensitive for crowd noise and general talk". But make no mistake: cards are way more sensitive when it comes to handling noise. So if you start to move around, not only your image will suffer, but you're going to introduce noise generated by, for instance, bumping the mics or messing with your wires. ;)

This is so true.  I just recently taped a show in a small venue with a set of SP cards.  The tape turned out okay, but I was too close to a couple of screaming/yelling drunk guys.  I tried to move my mics to a better location (away from them), and I got all kinds of surround sounds while I moved and re-setup.  Mics in general sound better if you're able to "set up in advance and forget them" mode.

And I love Sergios saying: "a mic stand with a driver's license".  That's so true, hahaha.  +T.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »
Hmmmm... I've never 'froze' while taping. I always collar mount my mics though, so that I can move my head around freely. As long as you get near the front it won't matter much having the mics a little lower (rather than on your head).

I don't move much while taping but I do move a little bit because it does get uncomfortable standing in the exact same pose all night. I always clap after songs too but I 'fake it' so you won't hear it on tape. I often swicth which leg I lean on too. Its only minimal movement but you CAN move a little. Just don't move suddenly or make big movements. I've never had any phasing on my recordings apart from the 1-2 times someone has walked/pushed past me, and even then it wasn't 'that' bad as what I thought it would be.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline djspurlz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 12:12:09 AM »
wow guys - such a wealth of knowledge -  i got my gear the other day now Im practicing and cking out the equipment -   the standing very still tip is def a great piece of advice I never would have realized

in less than a week -  ( fri - 18th ) I do my first taping with this gear

many thanks everyone

keep it coming with all the help

the  LS-10 has a  " mic " in jack and a " Line - in " jack - previous poster stated I should use the line in with my external microphones  - sounds right from my manual

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com