Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New: Schoeps MK22  (Read 24024 times)

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
Re: New: Schoeps MK22
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »
anyone know of any direct recording comparisons between a cardioid (MK4) and wide cardioid (MK21)?

Here is one I can think of, not exact comparison but pretty close.... Phil Lesh & Friends 2007-06-03

schoeps mk4 (ortf @ 7', fob, dfc) > kc5 > cmc6 > sd 744t (24/96) - http://www.archive.org/details/paf2007-06-03.schoepsmk4.barfield.85782.flac16

Schoeps mk21 (NOS)> NBox+> SD 722 (24/48) - http://www.archive.org/details/phil2007-06-03.mk21.nbox.flac16

I prefer the 21's for this recording but other shows I really love the sound of the 4's...... I think if this cap is in between it would be pretty much dead on for my taste. Can't wait to hear a show recorded with the 22's and maybe an NBox or v3.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 07:47:31 PM by ekoostikal »
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »
sounds like this could be the perfect upfront kangol capsule. I want a pair.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline timP

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
any word on price?
?>FR2LE

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 02:47:34 PM »
any word on price?

well it does say Schoeps in the front so my guess is expensive...

Wha'da'ya mean that wasn't helpful!
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »
any word on price?

From Redding Audio: http://www.reddingaudio.com/schoeps/Schoeps%20Price%20List%2002-2008.pdf

- MK 22 - $875.00 each
- CCM 22 Lg - $2,129.00 each
- CCM 22 Ug - $2,129.00 each

- STC 22g Special version of STCg for (2) MK22 capsules with active cables or (2) CCM22 for “quasi-ORTF” stereophonic recording. The angle between capsules is 110° with a distance of 21 cm.  - $155.00

BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline boojum

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 12:11:13 AM »
Posthorn:

http://www.posthorn.com/S_mk2.html

Oooops, wrong mic.     ::)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:55:26 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
Hi, just noticed this thread. Wasn't sure when the public would first hear of this new capsule type, so was keeping mum.

Yes, its pattern is between wide cardioid and "classic" cardioid, and no, it isn't an imitation of anything else. Yes, it works very well for live stereo recording. I'm a huge fan of Schoeps' wide cardioid capsules, but unfortunately I don't get to record very often in what I consider to be the right acoustics for their use. These new capsules can be used in more situations, and they do bring a lot of the sonic goodies of the wide cardioid.

You'll see many references to spot miking in Schoeps' promotional literature because that's where the original demand for this capsule design came from--and of course because that application represents a much larger target market than we do.

Someone asked about the capsule's frequency response, which I've posted as an attachment below.

About the terminology: There's no "official" scientific, non-proprietary name for the pattern which some people call "wide cardioid" and others call "subcardioid" or sometimes "hypocardioid." All three terms refer to any pattern near the mid-point between cardioid and omni. Where exactly a given design falls on the spectrum will depend on the manufacturer. Schoeps' MK 21 "wide cardioid" is intentionally not exactly in the middle, for example; its particular characteristics were decided through experimentation and practical listening tests. (Several of the engineers at Schoeps are into live recording.)

OK, I gotta go to my day job ... here's the frequency response graph. Note that the MK 22 has stronger low-frequency response than the MK 4 cardioid, which is no slouch.

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:14:58 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline boojum

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
^^^  I have been pleased with the low end of the Mk4, but not thrilled.  The new Mk22 looks like it would be good.  And I have just sworn off buying new mics.  The rationalization I am using is that "I would need only the caps" and so would not spend as much money.  I will follow the reactions to these before I decide to go for a pair. 

To "get by" I run my CMC64's or CMC64/CMC68 (XY or MS) and run omnis outside and get the bass and space that way.  I suppose the Mk22 would solve that problem.  Hmmm.  Damned Germans; always coming up with something good.*    LOL

Cheers

*FWIW I am about 90% German and figure I can knock them now and again.  It's a family kind of thing for me.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »

These caps have me leaning towards adding another brand of "hand built" German microphones to my arsenal...

Having never dealt with a USA Schoeps dealer who would you folks recommend for top notch customer service and the best prices on the Schoeps line of products?

:hmmm:

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »

These caps have me leaning towards adding another brand of "hand built" German microphones to my arsenal...

Having never dealt with a USA Schoeps dealer who would you folks recommend for top notch customer service and the best prices on the Schoeps line of products?

Prices are fixed AFAIK, same everywhere you go. People seem to really like Posthorn.

http://www.posthorn.com/
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »

Prices are fixed AFAIK, same everywhere you go. People seem to really like Posthorn.

http://www.posthorn.com/

Thanks for the info.

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »
Just browsing around the Schoeps site today and noticed they have all the info up for the mk22

Product Page - http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/open-cardioid.html
Specs - http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/specs-mk-ccm22.html

Also a cool PDF for the mk22 here: http://www.schoeps.de/PDFs/Schoeps_MK22-A4_med_res.pdf

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 03:49:06 PM by ekoostikal »
BONGWATER via Etree:

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 06:01:07 AM »
im really thinking about slutting it up with a pair of these. redding hasnt gotten any into the states yet. maybe a good thing >:D
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »
im really thinking about slutting it up with a pair of these. redding hasnt gotten any into the states yet. maybe a good thing >:D

I'm with you brother - 2009 mk22's looks like a distinct possibility to me.

;D

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »
These things better walk on water if they want to sound better than the 21's.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com