Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording turned up blank?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline sec1968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
recording turned up blank?
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
Hi all. I recorded a show this past friday night using my Edirol R-09 w/built-in mics in stealth mode. The red light was on the entire time and the show was recorded, as the end file is 747mb. My problem, and first time having this happen, is the file will not play in Media Player, and when opening up in Sound Forge or Audacity the .wav form is blank.

What can I do to recover this show, or is hosed?

Thanks.

shane
tapersec1968 (at) gmail.com

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/sec1968

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: recording turned up blank?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:07:55 PM »
Does the Edirol have a switch to go between built in mics and externals?  I know the Sony D50 does.  I recorded Sunday and forgot to switch it back to mics and got a 1 hour flat lined WAV.

dorrcoq

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:32:33 PM »
At the least, update your firmware and set the red light to go off after a few seconds. ;D

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:05:38 AM »
Can you listen to it directly through the R-09 and headphones?
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline sec1968

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:14:30 AM »
I copied the file to the HD and waxed it from the SD before I bothered to work on it. I don't think it has a switch to control which mics are in use. When I open record I plug into MIC (line in has been broke for 2 years) with no problems. I'll check to see which version firmware i'm on. Edirol did update that when I sent it in for repair (line in STILL broke!). You may get a PM soon.

shane

dorrcoq

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »
I copied the file to the HD and waxed it from the SD before I bothered to work on it.

Yikes!

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:52:25 PM »
I copied the file to the HD and waxed it from the SD before I bothered to work on it.

Sorry to hear that.  I've been so paranoid about something like that happening, I've usually kept the file on the SD until the next show.  At the very least, I keep it until I have multiple back-ups.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:03:50 AM »
Shane

Go get CDWAV and use that to open up the file. If it does, good chance the headers got messed up (somehow). CDWAV is good at opening up files with messed up header info. Don't do anything to the file in CDWAV but a File/Save As. And save it as a new file name. If good luck is following you at this point still, open up this new file in your usual sound editor.

HTH!

BTW - SA is coming to your area again in late Sept, you busy that day??
:-)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:05:35 AM by norma023 »

Offline sec1968

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
I use CDWAV for tracking anyway, so i'll try that tonight. And yes i'll be rolling for Soul Asylum again. I'm surprised they're playing the same event a year later, but whatever, IT'S FREE!!!!!

shane

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »
I've been lax in my goal of educating people about the CD-Wave license.  This thread reminded me.  Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general reminder:  CD-Wave is not free. 

If you go with CD-Wave, you'll want to get it directly from the CD-Wave webpage, as the etree page is out of date.  Please note that CD-Wave is shareware, not freeware.  You're required to purchase a license if you use it beyond the 31-day trial period, though the software will not cripple itself if you do not.

I think this is part of the reason many people haven't purchased their CD-Wave license (and one of the reasons I started this thread):  misunderstanding of the license requirements.  Purchasing a license if using the program beyond the 31-day trial period is not voluntary - it's compulsory to satisfy the terms of the license.  The author simply chose not to implement software mechanisms (like crippling the software after 31-days, or providing a limited-functionality demo) to compel people to purchase the license.  Nonetheless, users are obligated to purchase the license if they continue to use the software beyond the trial period.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sec1968

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
Todd, that worked like a charm. Hopefully I don't have that problem again but that will fix it.

Brian, I think you may've mistaken what I was talking about as being free. I meant the Taste Of St. Louis where Soul Asylum is playing that Todd mentioned earlier. There's no entrance fee for the event or to see any music. I won't go farther as this part is O/T for my initial question.

Thanks.

shane

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com