Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: telefunken usa  (Read 2999 times)

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
telefunken usa
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »
http://www.telefunkenusa.com/

anyone ever use any of these mics?
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
Re: telefunken usa
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

J.T.L

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »
...yeah and the ones used were ooooooold.

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »
For the record:

Telefunken was the brand used by AEG - formerly Germany's biggest manufacturer of all things electrical, from power stations and locomotives, industrial energy systems, radio and communications systems to electric household appliances - for their professional and domestic broadcast and communications equipment.

AEG has gone belly up, decades ago. Some parts of the communications division were taken over by Daimler-Benz Aerospace, later known as DASA. They still hold the rights to the Telefunken brand and everybody willing to pay can license it and put a Telefunken label on his produce. There are Telefunken washing machines made by Electrolux, Telefunken TV sets made by some Turkish firm, Telefunken digital picture frames made by God-knows-who, etc. etc. Along the same lines, someone in the U.S. has bought the right to put Telefunken labels on his microphones. No more, no less.

Ironically, the few renowned Telefunken condenser microphones from the olden days weren't even made by Telefunken, but where re-badged Neumann or AKG mics.

The same goes for a few other U.S-based operations selling their products as RFT (the state-run East-German electronics manufacturer in the 'good old' days of communist rule), Funkenwerk (now, that's a particularly good joke: the original company used to be called "Funkwerk", i.e. radio-works. Funkenwerk translates as sparking-works), TAB of Wuppertal who used to be a customer of mine and so on.

None of them has anything to do with the original companies which have all gone bust long ago or been closed down after the demise of the communist dictatorship in former East Germany plus a few names like "Berliner" which were simply made up to sound somewhat German and/or familiar. All as genuine as the "Original Rachenbickler German cuckoo clocks" that noone in Germany has ever heard of.

Mind you, I'm not saying that the products made by Telefunken USA and the others I've mentioned here are in any way bad. They're just not the genuine thing - if that ever existed...

Just to put a few things straight.

Cheers,
Ralf
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:08:00 AM by fotoralf.be »
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »
I know the owner well.  Very cool dude.   He has hundreds uncirculated DAT tapes sitting in his closet.  I'm trying to get my hands on them..
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
Vintage ELAM 251 mics are one of the most sought after mics in the world and can fetch prices of $15K or more each.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
ralf, in this case the Telefunken name wasn't licensed. Rather, an enterprising individual discovered that the trademark status of the Telefunken name and the diamond symbol, etc., had lapsed in North America. He applied for those trademarks himself, got them, and licensed their use to Toni Fishman, who isn't legally permitted to use those trademarks anywhere outside North America.

"Telefunken USA" is a clone manufacturer. They sometimes try to portray their products as "re-issues" but to my mind that is a pretense. When Neumann made a limited number of U 67s available for sale in 1993, which they had assembled from their remaining parts stock plus their ongoing capsule production over 20 years after they had discontinued that model, that was a re-issue. But when none of the key original parts (capsules, tubes, transformers, circuit boards, housings ...) are available and a third party comes along and puts together a microphone from reverse-engineered imitations of those parts, that's a clone.

The fact that the Telefunken emblem on the outside is also a clone doesn't make the microphone behind that badge any more authentic.

You are right that Telefunken never manufactured professional microphones. At the end of World War II, Telefunken had international contacts which Neumann, Schoeps, AKG, Beyer and Sennheiser did not. Those companies (all of which but Neumann were just starting up in those years) made distribution agreements with Telefunken because at the time, they couldn't handle this themselves. That situation continued into the mid/late 1950s, when the manufacturers gradually set up their own distribution arrangements.

Telefunken's approach was always to require the manufacturers to put the Telefunken brand name put on the products they sold. Thus there were "Telefunken" U 47s, "Telefunken" M 221s, and so on--at the same time as Neumann and Schoeps were selling those same microphones domestically. See the catalog page below, which shows Sennheiser, Schoeps and Neumann microphones all with Telefunken emblems on them. Telefunken continued to sell a limited number of these companies' studio microphones well into the 1970s, as parts of their equipment packages for broadcasting studios.

The Telefunken Ela M 250 and M 251 were exceptions in that they were manufactured by AKG solely for Telefunken, and were never in AKG's own catalog.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:14:38 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:51:11 PM »
Just a quick update

The Dead 2009 are using Toni's Telefunken USA vocal mics.

And Toni has made some audience recordings of The dead 2009 with a re-engineered ELA M 221

Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »
A previous post on this site cited an article about Phish using the Telefunken USA vocal mics as well.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 09:58:17 PM »
A previous post on this site cited an article about Phish using the Telefunken USA vocal mics as well.

true

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »

true

here is the press release and article on the telefunken site:
http://www.telefunkenusa.com/literature/press/phish.php

I wondered why the vocals I heard from the Downloads of the hampton shows sounded so clean...
;)

-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 10:29:23 PM »
the M-80 even has it's own web site
http://www.m80mic.com/

when ever I hear the word Telefunken, all I remember is the classic line from Zappa's Joes Garage  about the present " It looks juts like a telefunken U47 - with leather"

-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 10:35:52 PM »
just found a review of the M 80 not that we here are looking for vocal mics exactly
but it's nice:

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/jan09/articles/telefunkenusam80.htm
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com