Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A question about some mics...  (Read 1996 times)

Offline deadphishin420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
A question about some mics...
« on: March 31, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »
My deck is an Edirol R09HR, The mics i use for non-open taping are SP cmc2a's. I used them in my mic in Input to record the crue at MSG( ihad the phantom power on as well). i used the regulator( i think its called) so it wouldnt clip. It came out okay, but not spectacular. im looking into possibly getting a new pair of stealth mics(the church recordings ive heard ,i like the samples) but i dont want to have to run a battery box as well. Is there any options of mics that can be just plugged into there without a battery box( my crotch can only fit so many things...) Any suggestions would be great as well. its frustrating getting a show recorded, only to not have a great sounding recording
Akg 391 hyper/Akg 430 cardioid/akg c214 Omni/>sound devices mix pre 6

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: A question about some mics...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:12:31 PM »
My deck is an Edirol R09HR, The mics i use for non-open taping are SP cmc2a's. I used them in my mic in Input to record the crue at MSG( ihad the phantom power on as well). i used the regulator( i think its called) so it wouldnt clip. It came out okay, but not spectacular. im looking into possibly getting a new pair of stealth mics(the church recordings ive heard ,i like the samples) but i dont want to have to run a battery box as well. Is there any options of mics that can be just plugged into there without a battery box( my crotch can only fit so many things...) Any suggestions would be great as well. its frustrating getting a show recorded, only to not have a great sounding recording

I can make my mics with the 2.4k mod this will give them the same performance as the 4.7k mod but they can never be used with a 9 volt supply because it would actually degrade the performance when my mics are set up for plug in power of the HR. So yes my mics can be made with the 2.4k resistor and will run as well as a battery box and a pair of my mics. But if you decide to get my preamp you will have to send the mics back to me to be switched back to 4.7k I hope that makes sense.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
Chris does make the smallest battery box you'll find:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119448.0.html
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »

Before you go about buying new mics, you might want to also revisit how you are using the ones you have.  Using the phantom with 'low' power to the mics is probably still going to result in distortion with most mic systems without the mod to the R-09 preamp that Chris mentions below. 

You also should never use that attenuator function on the R-09-- as I understand it that feature is useful for voice but will ruin audio recordings.  Given that the R-09 is a digital device, you are better off running your levels a touch on the low side (around -12db) and then boosting in post production. 

I would think your best option for lowest profile is to either modify the R-09HR or suck it up and use a small battery box such as the one Chris describes below.   I hear you as to the difficulty of getting additional devices into... limited use areas... but most of the smallest battery boxes won't make it much tougher.  I've done this, for instance, with the Sound Professionals battery box, so it can be done.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com