Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good "open" mic's  (Read 6267 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Good "open" mic's
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:12:30 AM »
I'm considering blowing my tax check on some decent open mics.  Among other things, I'm already planning on upgrading from my iRiver H120 to an R-09HR and picking up a pair of Chris Church's CAFS omni's (I already have his CA-14's, 11's, and 9100 Pre).  I am considering dipping my toes into the world of open recording.  It looks like these guys still have AT3031's for sale at $169 / ea.  I know I'm really asking for trouble wih this question, but does anyone have any inputs as to some cheap-ish (~$200ea) "open" mics that I could buy to fly without feeling embarrassed?  (I love Chris's mics, but they sure look dinky up on a 9'-12' pole!).  Also, It seems to me that the world of open recording requires more gear (A to D's, Power, Pre's, etc....).   What peripheral items would I need to run along with my open mics?

Ideally I would like a set with swap-able caps... those seem neat.  And please keep in mind that I don't need anything top of the line!  I'd love to cop some MBHO's or something, but I work in baby steps!!  (I started taping with a Tiger Talkboy for chrissake!)  Thanks in advance, as always, for any and all inputs!  ;D
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Good "open" mic's
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:28:07 AM »
Have you looked at the Busman mics?  They run $500 for a set (just a bit outside your budget), but you get three sets of caps, shocks, and some other stuff too. 

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:48 AM »
looks good-- on sale for $450 too =).  Are they pretty popular though?  How do people like them?

As long as I've been a member here, I've never really paid much of any attention to these full-sized, open taping mics; I'm really out of touch with what's held in high regard and what's not so popular.  With Busman's mics I would need XLR cable plus a power supply plus perhaps an analogue to digi converter?  Is that right?  So with wires and everything it'd look like this:
Mics  > XLR > Power > XLR > A2D > Cable > R-09HR ?
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »
looks good-- on sale for $450 too =).  Are they pretty popular though?  How do people like them?

I love them and for the price and what you get in the package it was made for people that want to dip their feet into open taping.  Prior I had owned the SP C4's, but that was before the BSC1's existed.

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »
You asked me in a PM to post why I'd had thoughts (in another post) related to giving up my high dollar rig in favor of using Church Audio. 

For me, open taping offers three major benefits over stealth, in order of diminishing importance to me; 1) it allows you to fly the mics above crowd chatter, b) it frees you up to enjoy the show a bit more, c) it gives you more options related to gear.

You should ask yourself which of these three are important to you.  If c) is not important to you, then I'd ask myself why I feel the need to switch gear at all.  IOW, your mics perform really well and you like the sound, then why do you need anything different?  In my mind, there's nothing in the above equation that says that open taping means you need SD mics, or LD mics.  For my own tastes in mics and the sound sampling that I've done on the archive, you aren't gonna get a sound improvement by going open and buying $250 SD mics.  However, as others have mentioned, there are SD mics out there that provide a variety of capsule options (factor c) above).  However, I also note that the CA-14 is also available with optional configurations, so again I'm not sure what is gained.  To me, it's all a matter of whether or not you feel your sound is being improved by a switch in mics.

The bottom line of the above paragraph is that I would absolutely not worry about buying SD or LD mics for open taping just because open tapers seem to run SD or LD mics.  There's nothing wrong or socially unacceptable with flying tiny mics!  Same thing goes with buying preamps and recorders.

In terms of the recording itself, it's all about the sound.  I find that for the money, the Church Audio gear delivers a sound that I like.  For me, I've asked myself why I have between 4 and 5 thousand invested when I can get close to the same sound with Chris's products at a fraction of the cost.  The LMA is my best friend for evalating these decisions, and these decisions are personal based on the sound that you like anyway. 

For my ears, I haven't found a mic in the sub-$500 price point that sounds as good as the Church gear. 

In fact, as I've invested more and more in my rig, there's been various degrees of excitement, but also a level of disappointment.  For the money, I expected better sound.  What I learned is that incrementally better sound costs TONS more money.

You should ask yourself what your expectations/goals are.  If the sound is your primary factor for satisfying yourself in your hobby and playing around with gear isn't that big a deal (expecially considering that your sound might suffer because of it), then all you need to enjoy the major benefits of going open is a mic stand.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:55:36 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:53:46 AM »
I'm considering blowing my tax check on some decent open mics.  Among other things, I'm already planning on upgrading from my iRiver H120 to an R-09HR and picking up a pair of Chris Church's CAFS omni's (I already have his CA-14's, 11's, and 9100 Pre).  I am considering dipping my toes into the world of open recording.  It looks like these guys still have AT3031's for sale at $169 / ea.  I know I'm really asking for trouble wih this question, but does anyone have any inputs as to some cheap-ish (~$200ea) "open" mics that I could buy to fly without feeling embarrassed?  (I love Chris's mics, but they sure look dinky up on a 9'-12' pole!).  Also, It seems to me that the world of open recording requires more gear (A to D's, Power, Pre's, etc....).   What peripheral items would I need to run along with my open mics?

Ideally I would like a set with swap-able caps... those seem neat.  And please keep in mind that I don't need anything top of the line!  I'd love to cop some MBHO's or something, but I work in baby steps!!  (I started taping with a Tiger Talkboy for chrissake!)  Thanks in advance, as always, for any and all inputs!  ;D

Busman Audio would be a good choice if you want to support the local guys. If you feel brave these might be very good maybe not.. but worth a look

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SYNCRON-S-10-CONDENSER-MICROPHONE-PAIR-1966-67-KM-84_W0QQitemZ170317722157QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »
If you can squeeze out a few more bucks, I think the best option is a pair of used beyerdynamic mc930s with a denecke ps-2 with 1/8" out for phantom and keep using the iriver.  This setup might run up to $600-700... but it's all about the mics.  I would just save up until you can get the good stuff (and sell your other gear to help fund the new purchases). 8)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:26:37 AM »
Whatever mics you get, do some listening first.  While I agree the Beyer's sound great, especially for the price, they have a rather "dark" sound that may not appeal to everyone.  The Busman mic recordings I've heard, on the other hand, have a "brighter" sound -- that, too, may not appeal to everyone.  There's no accounting for taste, takes all kinds, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »
^^^ QFT

Btw, someone is selling AT4041 for $300/pair.  Seems like a decent option.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,119164.0.html

Offline sam

• Getting out as much as I can
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »
If you are happy with your recordings, and you are the one that matters, stay with what you have. You really should listen to as much stuff as possible of the type of stuff you tape before making a decision on what you want. If it is more than you can spend tight now, wait until you can afford them. I sold my MBHO's about a month ago and went to 480's because the cards sounded netter to me for what I tape.
AKG480/61/63->Audio Magic X-Stream->Marantz ACM671

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
You asked me in a PM to post why I'd had thoughts (in another post) related to giving up my high dollar rig in favor of using Church Audio. 

For me, open taping offers three major benefits over stealth, in order of diminishing importance to me; 1) it allows you to fly the mics above crowd chatter, b) it frees you up to enjoy the show a bit more, c) it gives you more options related to gear.

Don't forget d) you don't have to wear a pair of Depends to the show anymore

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »
If you're worried about tiny mics on huge light stands, look at DPA mics. :)

Also look at the Avatone mics:http://www.avantelectronics.com/CK-1.htm
They are made in china but you can get great results from them.
Rode NT5s are worth looking at.

I would tend to think the AT3031s would be a fairly poor choice for open music recording.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »
Coffee houses often have open mics on Monday evenings. Good depends on who shows up.

:P
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
Not to derail the topic, but how do you guys think the Busman's compare to the Oktava MC-012's? Similar price point and all....

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »
Just as a heads up for those following along with interest, and travelinbeat already sent me a PM of interest, I have a set of Avatone CK-1s that Busman modded in the YS.  Link in my signature.  They worked really well for all my applications and really the room was always the issue as opposed to not liking the flavor.  Overall I would say honestly that I didn't get as much of the high end as I expected.  I now have some 460s which I have only ran once so I haven't really made a well informed opinion if it was a step in the direction I want to be in.  Definately the AKGs are great mics paired with my Busman UA-5. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com