Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to Simulate Stereo with a Mono Source?  (Read 6694 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
How to Simulate Stereo with a Mono Source?
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »
I'm still not sure what happened, but somehow or another in running M/S last night, only one of the mic inputs got recorded onto both tracks.  So, what's the best way to salvage this recording?

My first thoughts are just to put a millisecond of delay between the right and left channels and that's about the best that can be done.  Anything else?

TIA.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: How to Simulate Stereo with a Mono Source?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:50:22 AM »
I'm still not sure what happened, but somehow or another in running M/S last night, only one of the mic inputs got recorded onto both tracks.  So, what's the best way to salvage this recording?

My first thoughts are just to put a millisecond of delay between the right and left channels and that's about the best that can be done.  Anything else?

TIA.

20-40 ms creates the most realistic effects.

Apart from that, bit of stereo reverb with a very short decay.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
OK, cool.  Thanks digi!

Online Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »
Also tone.  The Beatles fake stereo records were famous for that, e.g., more trebly on one side, more bassy on the other.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »
Another good suggestion...thanks!

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:24:54 PM »
OK, cool.  Thanks digi!

I'd start with a 0.4 second decay or less on a room-reverb ~ 50% wet mix.

Here's an example of ...

Mono - Delay (20 ms) - Reverb 0.4 second decay - Delay+Reverb...

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »
You can also use a plugin like blue tubes ST2S-3, Fluxsttool, or something of the like and expand the stereo width a bit to make it sound a little more spacious.

easy jim

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »
I'd just leave it mono.  Most 'simulated' stereo mixes from a mono source sound off to me.

20-40 ms creates the most realistic effects.

I disagree re: delaying one channel behind the reference channel...I think 20ms (or more) is really excessive and would not try more than a fraction of that (like < 5-6ms max).  My reasoning: Since sound generally travels at ~ 1ms/ft, at least as far as calculating the delay from the distance between disparate sources, the creation of an artificial time difference by delaying one source that much behind the other often reduces the clarity of the mono source by potentially introducing phase issues, and it does not really create or do a good job simulating a stereo soundfield.  If you were to do an intentional A-B stereo recording with a 20-40' split, you would still have a relative similarity between the time sound from the stage/PA reaches each of the two mics.  By delaying a copy of one track 20ms or more behind the reference track, it is more like placing one mic way up front and another 20 to 40' further back from the sound source...not the best way to make a 'stereo' recording.

Apart from that, bit of stereo reverb with a very short decay.

Also tone.  The Beatles fake stereo records were famous for that, e.g., more trebly on one side, more bassy on the other.

^ these two are more 'realistic' options IMO if you're really intent on trying to simulate stereo from a mono source (without also introducing phase anomolies, etc.).  You could also try a stereo/width adjustment plugin, as suggested by bgreen.

But, I'll ask again...why not just leave it mono?

Or, maybe the best (and determining) question is: which track did you capture - the mid or the fig. 8?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:29:25 PM by easyjim »

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
I would agree with easyjim on the ms range. When I've done this in the past, I've cut like 2 ms off.

Roving Sign

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »
Isnt there a equalizer technique as well...?

I think you bump every other eq fader on one channel, and then reverse the pattern on the other...

Kinda need a graphic eq for this...(at least to visualize it...)

(actually I thought this was what the beatles did...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duophonic
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:24:51 PM by Roving Sign »

Online Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:59 AM »
Stereo delay is used on most mixes in the studio.  I could name a bunch:  I just cued up three artists from my juke box--Mariah Carey, Stacie Orrico, Eric Clapton, and Foreigner all had delays between the two channels on the same instrument or on vocals. 

The purity of the sound is bullshit, and I realized that since I bought my first volume pedle and echo-plex in 1964.

Mixing is an art form.  Reverse phasing, delays, echo units all contribute to the sound in the studio.  Don't let anyone tell you whats right or wrong in music. Only you know what sounds good.  My advice is for you to experiment do what you like.   You are making this for you to listen to.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:42:11 AM »
Thanks for all of the great input everyone.  As always, opinions show that people's preferences vary and of course no single opinion or taste is right or wrong.

I ended up going with some channel delay and a slight amout of reverb.  The mono source without anything added was just too stale.  It's analogous in sound to a pure SBD without any audience mixed in.  Putting these two after-effects on the recording really brought it to life and makes it, to me anyway, much more enjoyable to listen to.

FWIW, I always keep the raw source recording so if there's some chance that in the future I need the source, I still have those files.  So, in effect I have both ends of the spectrum covered anyway.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com