Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping DMB on the Bud Light Cruise...  (Read 9734 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Re: taping DMB on the Bud Light Cruise...
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »
Normally, you should be able to set up directly behind the SBD area and run your stand as high as you want. My advice is to ask one of the DMB sound crew members permission to set up at the SBD, and just set up where they tell you to go.

Not true, DMB allows you to tape from any place where you are not blocking their cameras and if no one around you bitches.... typically that is not a problem, as they bitchy ones are also the 1st to ask for a copy of the show

Offline newscane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 01:29:36 AM »
Normally, you should be able to set up directly behind the SBD area and run your stand as high as you want. My advice is to ask one of the DMB sound crew members permission to set up at the SBD, and just set up where they tell you to go.
Woman behind me at WPB in 2006 was "worried" it was going to block her view.  Then she asked how to get the tape.  Then she went on to be a "screamer" during the show.  Really frustrating...

I'm gonna attempt to set up near the cage, I think.  Should give me a slight bit of protection from the crowd...
Not true, DMB allows you to tape from any place where you are not blocking their cameras and if no one around you bitches.... typically that is not a problem, as they bitchy ones are also the 1st to ask for a copy of the show
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »
there are screamers at every show, dmb or otherwise

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »

Not disputing this, their tape-from-your-seat policy that you described is well known. I was speaking specifically of what DMB tapers have been experiencing just since last summer when TR first started touring full time.

Tapers were allowed to setup directly behind the SBD, which is also always behind the cameras as well, and run the stands way on up. I think it's worth going to the SBD area if you can't get a good spot elsewhere.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 01:27:37 PM »
Tapers were allowed to setup directly behind the SBD, which is also always behind the cameras as well, and run the stands way on up. I think it's worth going to the SBD area if you can't get a good spot elsewhere.
the sbd and cameras do not have the same setup all the time - fwiw
for example at spac the camera are behind the board, in cuse they were next to each other
one time they are on the sides more then the center too

generally speaking though the sbd area is a safe place to set up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
So, that actually worked out a LOT better than I expected!  No trouble at port security... they wondered why we were bringing so much stuff, but that was about it.  There was a bit of a hitch the day of the show, unrelated to the taping of it.  The "Cruise Compass" schedule said the show was from 2-4.  We planned to get up early, but things didn't go as planned, and we woke up around 10:30.  We got our tickets for the tender boats, and around 11:50, went to get a quick brunch.  Five minutes after we sit down, we hear an announcement about tender boats boarding, and the DMB concert at 1 PM.  I bolted up and was ready to sprint to the room right then.  We did down a few more bites of food, then went back to get the rig.  Thankfully, there was a boat right there, and we were on the island by 12:20 or so. 

I headed right for the booth, and looked for a place to set up.  I asked one of the sound guys and he suggested setting up next to a tree next to the tent, saying nobody would mess with it there, and it was dead center.  It was a nice idea, but at the height I was running, the mics would be in the tree :)  I decided to set up at the back corner of the soundboard tent.  Had things all ready to go in plenty of time.  On the boat over, I realized I left my UEs in my backpack -- thankfully, my girlfriend was able to borrow someone's earbuds so I could check levels.  Started rolling, and let it be.  (I did bring levels down a bit too much, though -- fixing that now).  Our towels were about 10 feet away, and I had no problem leaving the rig -- I could see it perfectly, and nobody was messing with it.  They were also able to walk around it -- one of the advantages of a daylight concert.  I had also attached a CNN luggage tag that I picked up when CNN sent some swag to our newsroom -- figured that couldn't hurt :)  For the first 30 mins of the show or so, I was very confident my rig was safe -- Coran Capshaw was standing right there.  Tore down at the end of the show, and that was that.  Not a bad day...

Big thanks to Crumbo for the windscreens -- huge help there.  My little ones would have been no match for the island breezes...

Once I can get GIMP to work (or use something else to shrink my photos), I'll post the link to my Rig Pictures thread.  Quite a few nice pics of my mics among palm trees, as well as some other photos that are nice.  Gotta watch what I post though, so the thread doesn't wind up in The Sewer :)

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
good stuff buddy glad it all went as good if not better than planned!! Love to hear the tape!

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 11:47:44 PM »
just upped it on dreamingtree.org!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com