Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: strange audacity issue creating a tao problem.  (Read 6463 times)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
strange audacity issue creating a tao problem.
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »
So I downloaded this excellent torrent:  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=530339&viewcomm=442573#comm442573

It's 24/96, so after I decode the flac I open the wav in audacity.  I change the sample rate to 44.1 and export to 16bit and it's adding about 2 seconds to the end of each track in the new wav.

WTF?  I don't recall having this problem before.  Any ideas?
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: strange audacity issue creating a tao problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:50:23 PM »
1) Are you resampling it during export or prior?
2) Is it already split? If so, if you combine two tracks and then export using labels, does it still create TAO style gaps?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
2) Is it already split? If so, if you combine two tracks and then export using labels, does it still create TAO style gaps?

Tracks are already split, so I'm doing this on an individual track basis.

For resample, I change the project rate from 96 to 44.1, then export.  (When I do this 16/48 > 16/44 I don't have this problem - though I'm always moving an entire file when I do that, as opposed to single tracks, as it's the result of a dat transfer).
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »

For resample, I change the project rate from 96 to 44.1, then export.  (When I do this 16/48 > 16/44 I don't have this problem - though I'm always moving an entire file when I do that, as opposed to single tracks, as it's the result of a dat transfer).

Combine two tracks in audacity and add a label in the middle and then do what you've been doing. My suspicion is you still get a gap at the end of one of the files but not the other (so bad tracking).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »

Combine two tracks in audacity and add a label in the middle and then do what you've been doing. My suspicion is you still get a gap at the end of one of the files but not the other (so bad tracking).

I'll give that a shot tomorrow night and report back.  What do you mean by "bad tracking"?  Also, thanks much for the troubleshooting, Page.   :)

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »

Exactly what happened.  Still got a gap at the end of the last track.  Also presented another problem, as when you export from 24 to 16 using Export Multiple it changes where your actual tracks begin.  Ugh.

So, seems like my options are:
1.  See if there's a 16 bit torrent available.
2.  Manually remove the extra space at the end of each track after I resample and dither.

Any other options you can think of?  Also, if you can explain the "bad tracking" comment I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for you help, Page!

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 11:51:08 PM »
don't use audacity?  [/sarcasm]

Is this a known bug or missing option that may have been fixed in newer audacity, seems like a legacy CD padding option that may need to be added/removed an an audacity option

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »
don't use audacity?  [/sarcasm]

Is this a known bug or missing option that may have been fixed in newer audacity, seems like a legacy CD padding option that may need to be added/removed an an audacity option

Yeah, I know Audacity ain't all that, but I'm cheap and lazy, and since it meets my needs 99.9% of the time it's hard to motivate myself to move on, you know?

And to prove my laziness even more, there's several newer versions of Audacity that I've yet to download, so I'm using a really old, crappy version.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
1) update to the new version of audacity. Period.
2) I recomend pulling in all of the tracks and adding labels, then exporting the entire show. Put your last label about 1-2 seconds of the last track off (and make sure you set your labels according to the wiki so that they end the last track on a proper boundry.

My bad tracking remark was related to there seems to be (unfortunately) a drift and pad function that some editors use when doing dither. It's in the same vein as SBEs.

edit: i had a show where I had to repair a track on and exported just that track and had the same issue, while if I exported the entire project (export multiple I think) then I didn't since it was at the end of the last track.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:24:43 PM by page »

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks!

Question, if I download new audacity, what happens to the projects I have partially complete in old audacity?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks!

Question, if I download new audacity, what happens to the projects I have partially complete in old audacity?

Should be ok. I don't think I ran into any issues when I upgraded. I know there isn't any problem going from the various 1.3 versions and up. Going back might be another story, but up isn't bad.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 02:23:57 AM »
It's 24/96, so after I decode the flac I open the wav in audacity.  I change the sample rate to 44.1 and export to 16bit and it's adding about 2 seconds to the end of each track in the new wav.

Audacity has always done this. Bugs the heck out of me, since I'd like to be able to track at 24/48 and convert individual files to 16/44.1. Perhaps this thread can help me!?

The only way I have ever found to get audacity to resample is to export. How else could you do it? And I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I don't know jack about markers/labels, I always track by splitting.

Awesome.  Thanks!

They work fine in the new one, but you may have to start by running the new version and then opening the project file.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »
So now I'm having trouble with my own files, not just d/l's.  Looks like I'll have to track each show 2x - once in 24 bit, once in 16.   >:(

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »
Why not use r8brain for the resample/dither instead of audacity?

For your own files/recordings. Amplify, fades, etc. using Audacity and export as .wav. Track with cd wave and save using the 24 bit option. Then use r8brain batch for the resample and dither.

For downloaded torrents. Open r8brain and perform the batch resample and dither.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:51:56 PM by Kush »
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
Don't think r8brain runs on Mac, does it?

Why not use r8brain for the resample/dither instead of audacity?

For your own files/recordings. Amplify, fades, etc. using Audacity and export as .wav. Track with cd wave and save using the 24 bit option. Then use r8brain batch for the resample and dither.

For downloaded torrents. Open r8brain and perform the batch resample and dither.

Offline Kush

• Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »
I didn't know you were using a Mac, r8brain is Windows only, sorry.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
^ No sweat - I should have made note of that right away, actually.   :)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
I noticed this same problem with Audacity a couple of years ago.  Stopped using it for resampling because of it.

In the back of my mind, I recall copying files from my Linux PC to my windows laptop and doing the conversion there, for some reason it worked better. Maybe a newer version of Audacity on the Windows at the time.

If I recall, I think it's not quite so bad if you do it in multiple steps.  Like:
load 24/96, save as 16/96
load 16/96, save as 16/44.

Now I use a program called "ssrc" which is a commandline program. I'm probably the only one here who uses it.  Free software, open source, runs very slowly, but seems to do a superior job. If you can compile C code on your Mac. http://shibatch.sourceforge.net/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:48:25 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »

Audacity has always done this. Bugs the heck out of me, since I'd like to be able to track at 24/48 and convert individual files to 16/44.1. Perhaps this thread can help me!?

I'm using 1.3.6 on a Mac and have never run into this problem. Admittedly, I've only been running 24-bit for a couple months now, but I track once in 24-bit by dropping markers, then export multiple directly to FLAC from 24/48. Then I change the sample rate at bottom left and re-export multiple, selecting 16-bit with the options button. Never seen any padding of any kind.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »
I'm using 1.3.6 on a Mac and have never run into this problem. Admittedly, I've only been running 24-bit for a couple months now, but I track once in 24-bit by dropping markers, then export multiple directly to FLAC from 24/48. Then I change the sample rate at bottom left and re-export multiple, selecting 16-bit with the options button. Never seen any padding of any kind.
Wow, cool, that works! Guess I'm a 1.3.6 guy now!!! Sweet! This saves me a LOT of hassle making 2448 filesets!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline greenone

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
I'm guessing/hoping this works with 1.3.10 (the latest version) but haven't tried it yet. Dean, you PM'ed me yesterday to say this worked for you as well - are you on the latest version? I think the problem lies in exporting to WAV vs. exporting to FLAC, not 1.3.6 vs. other builds.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 10:03:43 PM »
I'm guessing/hoping this works with 1.3.10 (the latest version) but haven't tried it yet. Dean, you PM'ed me yesterday to say this worked for you as well - are you on the latest version? I think the problem lies in exporting to WAV vs. exporting to FLAC, not 1.3.6 vs. other builds.

Indeed, it worked on 1.3.10 on Mac!  Thanks for your help, as ever, Dave!!!

Offline greenone

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 11:17:50 PM »
Bitchin'. Might as well upgrade while I'm at it...

EDIT: Check this out  - looks like it may have been isolated to 1.3.10 to begin with. Though it's not clear from your OP whether it was inserting silence or inserting the first two seconds of the following track.
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18847
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19154
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:25:25 PM by greenone »

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
Bitchin'. Might as well upgrade while I'm at it...

EDIT: Check this out  - looks like it may have been isolated to 1.3.10 to begin with. Though it's not clear from your OP whether it was inserting silence or inserting the first two seconds of the following track.
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18847
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19154

1.3.10 inserts two seconds of the following track.  My ancient version (1.2.5, I think) was introducing silence.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com