Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Over ear headphones  (Read 6467 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Over ear headphones
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:45:07 AM »
any thoughts on some good cans?  looking to stay under $130-150 if possible.  sub a c-note would be awesome.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Over ear headphones
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:53:32 AM »
Use the search function; this has been discussed many, many times.

Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser 280, and Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are probably the most popular ones in that price range.  I prefer the Audio-Technicas; you may differ.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
Use the search function; this has been discussed many, many times.

Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser 280, and Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are probably the most popular ones in that price range.  I prefer the Audio-Technicas; you may differ.

Under $150, the M50s are tough to beat.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:39:19 AM »
"Over ear" isn't quite specific enough to me to warrant a recommendation, though perhaps I'm just being thick.

In what listening environment will you use them?
Are you looking for open or closed 'phones?
Are you looking for supra-aural (the pad rests on the ear) or circum-aural (the pad rest around the ear, leaving the outer ear largely untouched)?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:41:24 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:34:20 AM »
Brian asks good questions but I doubt our responses would change too much.
If you're looking for a closed pair of headphones, I recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I have had these only for about a week or two but they have great response and fit my ears better than the 7506.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »
"Over ear" isn't quite specific enough to me to warrant a recommendation, though perhaps I'm just being thick.

In what listening environment will you use them?
Are you looking for open or closed 'phones?
Are you looking for supra-aural (the pad rests on the ear) or circum-aural (the pad rest around the ear, leaving the outer ear largely untouched)?

In what listening environment will you use them?  mostly home, but may travel with them as well for road trips
Are you looking for open or closed 'phones?  i'm thinking closed
Are you looking for supra-aural (the pad rests on the ear) or circum-aural (the pad rest around the ear, leaving the outer ear largely untouched)?  more than likely around the ear.  i wear hearing protection daily at work, and i'd be most comfortable with that arrangement i'm thinking.

thanks for the suggestions already posted.  i was actually looking at the sony and senns, leaning toward the sony's but i'll definitely look at the AT's now as well.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:25:19 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
I don't particularly like the Sony MDR-7506, mainly because the ear cups are not large or deep enough, so I get too much pressure on my ears for anything but very short-term listening.

At the upper end of your price range, you might consider AKG K-240s.  If/when I replace my K501s with closed 'phones, these are in the running.

You might try the Head-Fi.org forums, too, including this thread.  Though it may just contribute to options paralysis.  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
I am a brand new owner of the AT-M50's I really like them, they sound fantastic, they are pretty comfortable for extended listening sessions. If you wear hearing protection at work you will probably think they are really comfortable

I still have the AKG K271's but I like the AT's better. they were 130 -135 shipped from here. They have a GREAT 30 day no questions return policy

http://www.headphone.com/

They have a nice list of top 10 cans. The AT-m50's seem to have the best bang for the buck IMHO.

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »
i went a head and ordered the AT's based off everyone's reviews here.  thanks for the suggestions!
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
i went a head and ordered the AT's based off everyone's reviews here.  thanks for the suggestions!

sound wise, I hope you won't be let down and disappointed. Its a nice thing to have the internet these days so you can order products from anywhere, but it is also more risky in the sense of time because you may not be pleased with the sound of them and you'll have to return them. most places do offer returns so its not usually a big deal, just a waste of time.

for the issue of comfort, I don't think you will be let down from the reviews you've read and what we have said about wearing them.

since you wear hearing protection you already know the importance of protecting your hearing. don't listen too loud for too long.

Enjoy the music with the cans!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
If you get bored with those or don't like the (some would argue natural) bass on the ATs, then the Senn EH-350s are nice and cheap but the sub-40hz bass isn't accurate at all, there is a sharp rolloff that starts around 60hz or so and it doesn't become noticeable until you get to around 40 or 30hz. Other then that, they sound to be rather flatish and I'll use them when I'm too lazy to use my iems. Part of what creates that roll off is they are open cans and not closed backs.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »
Any Sony Over $100; Senheiser HD 570. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »
I've been quite happy with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro/80 cans - they have become my "go-to" for home listening. I did have to open them up once and pull out some hairs that got stuck (creating a rattle at low frequencies), but that was a lot less difficult than I was expecting; just pull off the velour earpieces and pry up the retaining rings to get access to the drivers.

They're a bit power-hungry, though - so for portable listening I usually use my Grado SR60 set, even though it's an open design.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
I love my m50's you will to..

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com