Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WaveLab montage question  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
WaveLab montage question
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
Hey all,

not sure about this one. I did a search, but couldn't really find anything helpful.

I'm mixing two stereo tracks (both 24bit/48kHz) down to one stereo track using WaveLab 6. When you hit the "render" button in the master section, you can to set the attributes of the file you're about to create. For everything except the resolution, it's possible to select "no change", which is basically what I want, a 24bit/48kHz file.

So what do I do about the resolution? Simply set it to 24bit? (Or 16bit if it's going to be a CD?) Do I need to use dither at this point?

Any help is appreciated.

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: WaveLab montage question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:55:42 PM »
with wl5, and i assume wl6, any time you render you should use dither. that goes for when you use eq or any of the plugins as well. i don't know about other programs but wl does all that work using 32 bit floating point so if you don't it will just truncate files. if in dought, open the bit meter.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
if you intend to keep a 24/48 version of the matrix then set it to 24bit and no change for the sample rate.  even if you don't want to keep a 24/48 you should render as that and then dither with a proper plugin (izotope or uv2hr or whatever it's called).
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »
with wl5, and i assume wl6, any time you render you should use dither. that goes for when you use eq or any of the plugins as well. i don't know about other programs but wl does all that work using 32 bit floating point so if you don't it will just truncate files. if in dought, open the bit meter.

Thank you. That's pretty much what I thought.
I've tried it both ways now, i.e. select "24bit" with and without dither (UV22HR) and I think I hear a slight difference.

As for always using dither when hitting "render", I'm not sure. When you're not working on a montage, it is in fact possible to select "no change" in resolution, so I guess there's no need to dither in that case. 

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »
to make sure about your bitdepth, the file attribute tab will show the resolution that you have selected - it is also important to note that this tab will remain the next time you start wavelab
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com