Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adaptor/hinge for use between a 5/8th stud & a pole?  (Read 5781 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Adaptor/hinge for use between a 5/8th stud & a pole?
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:20:03 AM »
So I am contemplating the following chain:

Superclamp >
5/8th stud >
??? >
extension pole

That's all fine and dandy if the clamp is to a table or something that is horizontal. So then I looked for a right angle adaptor, but realized then I'm working on something that is perfectly vertical. Is there anything that would have a hinge so I could use it at odd angles? I'm about to buy some other stuff from B&H and was looking. Thanks.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Adaptor/hinge for use between a 5/8th stud & a pole?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546442-REG/Manfrotto_203_203_Extension_Arm_for.html

This fits the Super Clamp and allows you to rotate your junk to any angle...  I have one and it works great with the SC on a Pole mounted next to the SBD at our local club...

Make sure you gets the "203" and not the "042".  The "042" has a hexagonal insert that restricts what angles you can use.  The "203" has a round inserts allowing any angle.  I learn the difference the hard way...  :P

Terry
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:31:11 AM by twatts and not wearing pants »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
I have and use the 203.  FWIW, I've also used the On-Stage Posi-Lok for contorting stands and extensions into unusual but helpful configurations.  Credit to Moke for bringing it to my attention years ago.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
sweet, thanks. I'll get both, I love accessorizing.  :D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
What I do for those situations is use an umbrella clamp adapter, which is basically a right angle adapter that swivels open to 180 degrees and closes to 90 degrees.  Put a 5/8" stud adapters in both ends and you're set.  It's especially nice because you can adjust the angle if you need a little to get it closer to vertical if the table or bar is somewhat at an angle.  I've used this setup to attach one of the 8' Bogen extension poles (the same one you linked) to a super clamp at a right angle and it is completely sturdy and rock solid, which will be important if you're going to use a sizable pole (I would hesitate to put that Bogen extension pole on that posi-lok).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546375-REG/Manfrotto_026_026_Swivel_Umbrella_Adapter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/93356-REG/Giottos_080565.html

Alternatively, you could possibly just use a Bogen quick release clamp to go vertical from the get go (if there is a suitable horizontal attachment site -- err, not in the situation you described though).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252212-REG/Manfrotto_649_649_Quick_Action_Release.html

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:22:01 AM by su6oxone »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »
I had initially worried about the posi-lok and the umbrella joint for weight concerns. I have an active-style setup, but others who clamp on may not, but two things occurred to me;

1) How often would I use this and have a lot of people clamping? Unlikely. Best I could think of is at a venue where we have a great place to setup, but not a lot of floor space (so running a stand with the legs in bungied to a support beam type setup is somewhat attractive) and I wouldn't be using the joint in that configuration so it was moot.

2) Once you get the pole upright, you are dealing with just weight, where as if you were going out to the side you would have weight plus force, and at that point, I'd probably use my adjustable arm over the pole (part #396-AB-3).

I appreciate the suggestions folks!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »
FWIW, I have the Bogen quick release clamp for going vertical as well as the articulated arm.  I kind of wish I had thought about the umbrella adapter as that + superclamp probably makes more sense.  I say this only because I have found that even though the quick release is supposed to give you vertical, often the surface it is clamped to will have a lip or something else that screws that up.  If you aren't too worried about weight, the umbrella thing is probably the right move IMHO.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
What I do for those situations is use an umbrella clamp adapter, which is basically a right angle adapter that swivels open to 180 degrees and closes to 90 degrees.  Put a 5/8" stud adapters in both ends and you're set.  It's especially nice because you can adjust the angle if you need a little to get it closer to vertical if the table or bar is somewhat at an angle.  I've used this setup to attach one of the 8' Bogen extension poles (the same one you linked) to a super clamp at a right angle and it is completely sturdy and rock solid, which will be important if you're going to use a sizable pole (I would hesitate to put that Bogen extension pole on that posi-lok).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546375-REG/Manfrotto_026_026_Swivel_Umbrella_Adapter.html

^^this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/93356-REG/Giottos_080565.html

Alternatively, you could possibly just use a Bogen quick release clamp to go vertical from the get go (if there is a suitable horizontal attachment site -- err, not in the situation you described though).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252212-REG/Manfrotto_649_649_Quick_Action_Release.html

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
I've used a "knock-off" umbrella stand that works great for mounting ON TOP of the extension pole...   but it's not study enough IMO to put UNDERNEATH an 8' extension pole.....  it swivels way too easily for my comfort.  But saying that, I'd go with that Manfrotto umbrella swivel......  I believe it is much more reliable than what I have... and if su6oxone has had good experiences with it, I'd give it a shot.
I passed on the Manfrotto and picked up the "knock-off" for it's lower profile when on top on the extension....  but I still would like the Manfrotto for using underneath the extension.  I checked it out in-store locally, and it seemed as sturdy as the SuperClamp....  it was just a little too bulky for what I initially needed it for.

Accessories are fun!!! 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:18:14 PM »
But saying that, I'd go with that Manfrotto umbrella bracket......  I believe it is much more reliable than what I have... and if su6oxone has had good experiences with it, I'd give it a shot.

I forgot to mention that I actually use a Lumadyne umbrella adapter that looks identical to the Bogen but is actually about $10 more expensive than the Bogen version (only bought it because B&H was out of the Bogens).  Knowing Bogen/Manfrotto quality, I would expect it to be as good as the Lumadyne, which can securely support a 8' extension pole. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32350-REG/Lumedyne_AHUA.html

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:21:28 PM by su6oxone »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:14:53 PM »
I've used a "knock-off" umbrella stand that works great for mounting ON TOP of the extension pole...   but it's not study enough IMO to put UNDERNEATH an 8' extension pole.....  it swivels way too easily for my comfort.

What did you have on top of the pole? I'm trying to get an idea why you had a problem and su6oxone didn't and if that was based solely on build quality or if there were other factors.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:04:39 AM »
^Something similar to this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298709-REG/Impact_3117.html

Except that mine doesn't have the "camera shoe", and instead of the big tightening handle....  mine just has another small knob to tighten, similar to the other knobs on this Impact.

I just think that the swivel mechanism on my Impact is inferior to the Manfrotto style. 
Check out all the different "light umbrella mounts/brackets/accessories" at B&H.....  lots of mounts to look at, but probably only a few could be relevant for audio purposes.

If you get the Manfrotto and it doesn't work for you, I'll take it off your hands.  I've been wanting one anyways.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »
What did you have on top of the pole? I'm trying to get an idea why you had a problem and su6oxone didn't and if that was based solely on build quality or if there were other factors.

I'll set up my super clamp > umbrella bracket > 8' extension pole in my apartment this weekend and see if my memory was accurate about it supporting a tall pole at a right angle. 

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 12:36:17 AM »
I have the bogen umbella adapter and I would not trust it vertically at the base of the pole.  It slips when you have some weight on it.  This is pretty much the only way I have used it.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 01:41:12 AM »
I have the bogen umbella adapter and I would not trust it vertically at the base of the pole.  It slips when you have some weight on it.  This is pretty much the only way I have used it.

That's what I was expecting initially. The umbrella joints aren't superclamp-style mission critical stuff from what I had thought (maybe wrong, maybe not).

One difference is that I don't run full bodies, so weight restrictions will be different. su6oxone does the same, so maybe that's what it is. I don't know, but I'd rather know now (or soon) instead of during a show.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 02:07:26 AM »
To be fair, I've run the umbrella joint only a few times, in a pinch, and it did make me a bit nervous but it worked. My preference is to use 2x superclamps and a joining stud. You can swivel the 2nd super clamp and hold the pole in its jaws. Super sturdy and you can use a regular stand or extension pole.

I mostly use the the umbrella joint in the same way tgakidis does.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 02:55:51 AM »
One difference is that I don't run full bodies, so weight restrictions will be different. su6oxone does the same, so maybe that's what it is. I don't know, but I'd rather know now (or soon) instead of during a show.

The two superclamps technique is probably the best method, although I only have one so I've never tried it personally. 

So I attached my superclamp > umbrella bracket > extension pole to a chair in living room and it is pretty sturdy.  If you pull on the pole the umbrella swivel will widen/open but you would need to exert some force to make it move.  I would say it's pretty sturdy in that it won't topple over by itself and it will only move if you grab the pole and pull on it, but then it still resists movement requiring active pulling to make it open up.  I would say that unless a drunk grabs it and goes down, the bracket and pole will be pretty secure.  In a tabled seating setting it should be fine I would think.  Pics below.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:16 PM »
I keep looking at this Boom Clamp...it appears beefy but you must have a 1 1/8" boom pole....or a $154.79 Heavy Duty Boom which doesn't appear to nest....

I assume the stud from Super Clamp would fit in the 5/8" receptor on the Boom Clamp...

The second section of my 13' Bogen light stand just happens to be 1 1/8"...may be trying to figure out how to disassemble the stand...I'd get a 8 1/12' boom pole to use...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.184 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com