Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: weak link in very limited recording setup?  (Read 2154 times)

Offline cjb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
weak link in very limited recording setup?
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
Hello! I'm recording my symphonic bands rehearsals for later review and would like to get the the best quality I can get with very limited equipment and budget. I'm almost completely new to recording and don't really know where to start. (I have looked at some tutorials, but they tend to focus more on quality recordings rather than cheap-and-dirty ones).

Setup:
* Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone
* phantom power: Silent Brass headphone amp
(http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-SB59C-Silent-Trombone-System/dp/B003B1N2N2/ref=pd_cp_MI_1)
* recorder: laptop. built-in sound card; mic/line-in input. audacity.
* mixing board: none
* cables: simple no-name mini sterojack double-male connectors
* location: band rehearsal space (dampened walls). mic is attached to a music stand right behind the conductor's head.

The quality is okayish, but the dynamic range isn't enough (there's very occasional clipping and the quiet passages are too quiet) and there' some distortion whenever the volume changes dramatically. The mic also seems to be too close because the woodwinds are much louder than the brass, but I can't move it any further away.

Which component is most likely the weakest link in this setup? In other words, if I can only upgrade one component, which should it be? My guess is that it's the sound card because I've heard that the mic input will often cause distortion when that volume changes. Should I get a USB mic interface, like the Blue Icicle? Are there any computer settings I can change to help the quality?

Thanks for your time!
-cj

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: weak link in very limited recording setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
I don't do the type of recording that you do, but I would think the mic is your weak link.

What is your budget? 

For $150 or less, you could add significantly higher quality mics, and even a small preamp or 9V power supply, that would allow you to significantly improve your recordings running into the laptop line-in.

I defer to others as to what improvement could be had from a sound card/usb interface.  I never record on laptops myself, so that part I do not know.

It's also worth pointing out that for $100 or so you could purchase a simple SD recorder with built-in mics that probably sound better than the Sony, and probably has better preamps than your built-in soundcard.  I can't believe I am recommending a Zoom product, but their little H1 http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1318949042&sr=1-1 could do the trick.  Under $100, very easy to use, and supposedly Zoom's internal mics are pretty good.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
Talk to moke, he has extensive experience taping orchestral music...

First improvement you can make is to get a better mic...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure the unanimous response is going to be mics. A mic pre-amp would also be a wise investment. Your recorder is fine no need to upgrade for now, but like Acidjack said you could probably buy a $100 recorder that will do just as good of a job as a nice soundcard, but it also records and is A LOT smaller than a laptop, and much easier to power if you don't have access to AC.

You need to give us an idea what you mean by a limited budget. Depending on how low that is, your best bet may be to save your pennies and just deal with what you have for now.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »
Weakest link is your mic position.
Optimial location beats optimal gear every time.

...The mic also seems to be too close because the woodwinds are much louder than the brass, but I can't move it any further away.

Spending money on mics won't fix that, only relocating your mic position will.  Why can't you pull the mic farther back?  Could you do so by mounting the mic in some unothodox way? Can you go significantly higher if not farther back? Moving the mic farther away will also help reduce dynamics so the gear you have can cope with it better (which is something that could be solved by using gear).  Is there a wall close behind the conductor?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cjb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
Thanks!

With regards to the mic position, it's already back up against the wall in front of the band. The only way it can go now is up. Maybe I can find a ladder somewhere. Fortunately, someone else in my band has a fancier mic, so I'll experiment with that. (Also, my budget is $100).

-cj

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »
Get some small lavalier type omnis (Countryman B3, DPA 4060, etc) and tape them to the wall behind the conductor, spaced 2' to 4' apart.  The boundary mounting technique will help with the section balances.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com