Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using Interview Microphone with Roland R-26  (Read 1824 times)

Offline JapanRecording

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Using Interview Microphone with Roland R-26
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:07:50 AM »
Hi. I'm new here.  I read the thread "Good All-Around Interview Microphone?" http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=143039.0, which is relevant to my immediate situation.  But since the mics recommended seem to be dynamic mics, that raises a slew of questions regarding my situation.

For starters, I plan to buy a Roland R-26 recorder and use the R-26 with an omnidirectional handheld mic for field recording of interviews. The Roland R-26 has XLR inputs as well as phantom power. But the online specs for the R-26 don't mention a mic preamp, so if I connect a dynamic mic to the R-26, am I also going to need to lug around a separate mic preamp?  What do people typically do in this situation with a portable WAV recorder like the R-26 and a dynamic mic to boost the mic signal?

If I need to carry a preamp, too, what is a good, portable, lightweight single-mic preamp under say $250.

Also, no one seems to mention the Shure SM-58 microphone, also a dynamic mic, for doing interviews on location.  I'm curious: is there some reason the SM-58 is not particularly good for handheld use doing interviews in the field, whereas other dynamic mics are better?  If so, what is the reason?

Finally, I'm curious about one other thing: Do people ever hand-hold a condenser mic for interviewing?  The Roland R-26 has phantom power, so a condenser would seem like an option.  If not, why not?  If so, what would be a good choice for a hand-held condenser interview mic under $300. 

Thanks!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Using Interview Microphone with Roland R-26
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:07:49 AM »
dynamic microphones don't need pre-amps. whatever mic you choose, you should practice reducing the handling noise as much as possible. the sm58 isn't a top mention because there are other ones ideal for interviews but it would work and the sm58 is often used for musical stuff.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com