Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: THE BEST mic for recording live music with permission and space for mic-stand ?  (Read 7836 times)

Offline olli66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I am looking for the best microphone to record concerts (classical, rock, etc.) given the fact that the band wants me to tape or I have the permission to tape and setup gear.
What would be the best mic / pre-amp / cables / recorder to do so? I'm talking of just two mics placed in the room. I am not thinking of recording each instrument with seperate mics...
Maybe the answer will be out of my price range so I'd be happy to get some recommendations in different price ranges.
Thanks so much!!

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
$350 on up, give us a budget range, and we'll make some recommendations.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline olli66

• Taperssection Newbie
my maximum budget would be $ 2000 but I'd like to know some in betweens ($1000 - $ 1500) if the differences are not that big
also just for knowing which would the best mic setup be regardless of the price? ;-)
THANKS

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
What's the best car for driving on small and large highways?
What's the best pen for writing?
What's the best gun for killing people?
What's the best novel for reading on the beach? in a hammock?
What's the best beer for quenching thirst?

There is no best anything. Human beings have opinions. Those opinions vary based on preference and experience. That's one of the things that makes living so interesting.

However, look into the Schoeps collette system. I'd start with the mk5 and mk41.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline olli66

• Taperssection Newbie
sure, different tastes...but when there is no budget limit? I think then the differences become much smaller?
When stealth recording shows often Church Audio mics get great reviews. Those are great mics for a good price but anyone with a good hearing I think will hear that MK4s for example just sound better.
So is it really a matter of taste? Maybe if the differences are just marginal but it seems to me there are mics who are far superior than others, no?

About my original question: So again Schoeps seem to be the way to go for "officially" recording. Really expensive though. What are the alternatives? I am pretty much surprised that these small mics get the job done. Whenever I see mics at classic concerts they are so much bigger...

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
sure, different tastes...but when there is no budget limit? I think then the differences become much smaller?
When stealth recording shows often Church Audio mics get great reviews. Those are great mics for a good price but anyone with a good hearing I think will hear that MK4s for example just sound better.
So is it really a matter of taste? Maybe if the differences are just marginal but it seems to me there are mics who are far superior than others, no?

About my original question: So again Schoeps seem to be the way to go for "officially" recording. Really expensive though. What are the alternatives? I am pretty much surprised that these small mics get the job done. Whenever I see mics at classic concerts they are so much bigger...

Some folks like Schoeps, some Neumann,  some DPA, some Sennheiser, some MBHO, others AKG.

Some folks think LD is better and others SD.

There is no single answer.

Is there a "best" recording of Beethoven's 3rd symphony? Or a "best" show by the Grateful dead? Best speaker to listen to? Nope!

Listen to recordings to see what you like. There is no other way.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline olli66

• Taperssection Newbie
man I love those Schoeps mics from all the recordings I heard but those were mainly done in stealth
for stealth recording I have myself Sennheiser MKE2 and CA-14 mics but for "official" recordings I have no recordings for comparison and since bigger mics can be used there will be other options then the mics I know for stealth recording...

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
man I love those Schoeps mics from all the recordings I heard but those were mainly done in stealth
for stealth recording I have myself Sennheiser MKE2 and CA-14 mics but for "official" recordings I have no recordings for comparison and since bigger mics can be used there will be other options then the mics I know for stealth recording...

Surf over to bt.etree.org and archive.org, enter microphone brand names into the search engine, and listen away.
Recording:

stevetoney

First, I'd buy used from our yard sale from someone that has been a regular ts.com member because you'll get alot more value for your money. 

$2000 will get you the following...they'll all sound pretty darn good, but there is no best because that depends on what you like.

Mics
- Neumann km184 ($900 to $1200)
- AKG 460/CKx ($700 - $900)
- AKG 480/CKx ($900 - $1100)

Preamps
Oade or Busman Mod UA-5 ($200 - $250)
Aerco MP-2 ($700)
Sound Devices MixPre ($300 - 400 used)
Sound Devices USBPre2 ($600 used $850 new)

Cables
- 15 foot pair of Darktrain or Gakcables - $40 - $50

All-In-One Recorders (preamp and recorder is integrated)
- Marantz PMD-661 ($600 new $500 used)
- Oade or Busman Modded PMD-661 ($800 new, hard to find used)
- Tascam DR-680 ($600 new $500 used)
- Tascam DR100Mkii ($300 new)

Handheld recorder (if you get an external preamp)
- Sony PCM-M10 ($250 new)
- Roland R-05 ($250 new)
- Roland R-09HR ($200 used)
- Tascam DR2D $110 new)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:34:05 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
First, I'd buy used from our yard sale from someone that has been a regular ts.com member because you'll get alot more value for your money. 

$2000 will get you the following...they'll all sound pretty darn good, but there is no best because that depends on what you like.

Mics
- Neumann km184 ($900 to $1200)
- AKG 460/CKx ($700 - $900)
- AKG 480/CKx ($900 - $1100)

Preamps
Oade or Busman Mod UA-5 ($200 - $250)
Aerco MP-2 ($700)
Sound Devices MixPre ($300 - 400 used)
Sound Devices USBPre2 ($600 used $850 new)

Cables
- 15 foot pair of Darktrain or Gakcables - $40 - $50

All-In-One Recorders (preamp and recorder is integrated)
- Marantz PMD-661 ($600 new $500 used)
- Oade or Busman Modded PMD-661 ($800 new, hard to find used)
- Tascam DR-680 ($600 new $500 used)
- Tascam DR100Mkii ($300 new)

Handheld recorder (if you get an external preamp)
- Sony PCM-M10 ($250 new)
- Roland R-05 ($250 new)
- Roland R-09HR ($200 used)
- Tascam DR2D $110 new)

Don't forget about Nevaton Mics.... you can find them used usually for a good price. 
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Here is an opinion that will maybe shake this up a bit. What you want to match up is how the Room sounds and distance from what you are recording. Here in lies the answer for multi-patterns and type (LD vs SD). The Manufacture is a flavor sort of to me though that flavor does fit with the two parameters I listed above.
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Chimney Top

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153308.0

Here is a list of portable recording devices for reference.

Offline olli66

• Taperssection Newbie
thanks guys for all the recommendations

@DiggerinVA: could you please xplain a little more?

Offline Duncan

• Taperssection Regular

You need to ask yourself a few questions

How much recording are you going to do
What will be the most common type of venue
Will the venues differ much  - small room with 100 people verses a big arena where you're sat 50 row from the sound source.

If you're only ever in a small room then you could get a mic that really works close to the sound source
If you are going to be way back you need a directional mic of some sort

Don't assume that because a mic is used stealth it's not the right mic for your open taping needs

You can stealth Schoeps mics but they are very popular for open taping

If you can afford to go the Schopes route you can't go wrong but you can get very good mics for a lot less.

If money was no object I'd get Schoeps CCM4s or CCM 5s or maybe CCM 41s and run them into my SD 722 (which I've already got)

Note: you don't need a SD 722 but they are very easy to use and look good :-)

Even if I had this rig I'd still stealth because it's easier and gives more versatility IMO

You do know that asking a simple question like this here is like opening a vat of worms?

Cheers

Duncan
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

stevetoney

Some small diaphragm (SD) mics don't offer variable polar pattens.  For example, the KM184 is a fixed cardioid mic.  Other SD mics offer variable patterns by virtue of the fact that you can change the capsules out.  An example is the schoeps collette seris or the AKG460 or 480.  In that case, you can change the pattern to match the recording situation you encounter at the venue.  If you can record from the stage lip, use a wider subcardiod pattern.  If you're in the back of the room, choose a narrow hypercardioid pattern.  Some of the large diaphragm mics (Studio Projects LSD2 comes to mind) have mulitple patterns built into the microphone...just by rotating a selector switch you can change the mics polar pattern.

So again, when you ask 'what is the best mic' there are many answers to that question.  As diggerinVA points out, 'best' can refer to various manufacturers in a price range, which tends to apply to the sound or flavor of a mic and this tends to be a more subjective personal thing...or it can apply to what sound quality it provides again perhaps somewhat subjective, or it can refer to how versatile the mic is, which is less subjective and gets to whether the mic can provide for pattern selectability. 

What you end up getting is all a function of what you're after.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com