Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity "amplify" does not produce equal amplitude  (Read 6548 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Audacity "amplify" does not produce equal amplitude
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
in your example, I want to amp the first one by 4db and the second one to 5. Those are the numbers that are pre-populated when I pull up the amplify function when selecting just those tracks.

Did I miss something?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »
page,

for that clip i amplified both channels to -4 dB.  you're saying you're seeing a 1 dB discrepancy?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
page,

for that clip i amplified both channels to -4 dB.  you're saying you're seeing a 1 dB discrepancy?

Yep. The left channel peaks at -4, the right channel at -5 in the sample, so the gain required to get to 0 from here is different.

My guess is you accidentally ran the amplify function for both channels and which would produce uniform game for a track that has different peak values. If I run them one at a time, I get different default values to produce a 0db peak.

So if you try and amplify that sample to lets say -2, do you only apply 2db to each channel or do you apply 2 on the left and 3 on the right? (open amplify on each track after doing so and you'll see the new amount of gain needed to get to 0 which is the default setting).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 07:40:27 AM »
Same results as page - Is it possible you bumped the + - gain slider - making the file render unevenly - despite using Amplify for gain change...(screen shot looks like sliders a not centered)

EDIT - this has to be what happened - I was able duplicate this effect - reduce one channel by 1db. Then run amplify on each channel...make stereo track > export...resulting file has one channel -1db lower than the other.

So - adjustments made using the slider arent applied until you Export...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:52:55 AM by runonce »

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
Thanks for looking at this, guys.  I really appreciate it.  I guess I got sloppy.  Note to self:  Do not work on files when tired.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com