Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Let's say I were to start a podcast

<< < (2/2)

zhianosatch:

--- Quote from: mnm207 on March 03, 2017, 06:08:11 PM ---I produce an podcast consisting of 1 on 1 interviews recorded on location. The podcast is a tool for promoting my corporate photography--it's 100% self-produced, -recorded and -edited. TS and Transom.org were both invaluable sources of information.

Here's my recording/editing/publishing chain: Audix i5 mics --> Mixpre --> Sony PCM-M10 --> Hindenburg (editing) --> Auphonic (auto-leveling) --> SoundCloud. The mics are on stands and placed as close as my guests's comfort will allow (6-8"). On the Mixpre I pan one mic left and one right; in Hindenburg I split the M10' stereo track to two mono tracks. Minimal to no EQ and compression are applied to each track. For a multi-guest situation recently I picked up a Tascam DR60D mkii; I record two stereo files (tracks 1/2 and 3/4), again splitting each stereo track to two mono tracks for editing.

The mics were selected because I got a good deal on a trio of them. They sound fine and are entirely adequate for my needs. Had my budget been larger, I'd have looked at other similar options. I find the mic's cardioid pick up pattern (and its being dynamic) useful in minimizing the various and sundry background noises that I encounter in the typical offices here in NYC that I am usually recording in.

Your 4061s are probably perfectly usable, but I'd recommend comparing them to a handheld dynamic mic (or a large diaphragm announce mic if portability isn't a concern) in the kind of environment you expect to record in. My own comparison of the i5 to an electret lav showed the i5 to be better at minimizing background noise.

--- End quote ---

What kinds of locations do you record in? Do you have much control over the environment?

More importantly, how do you get your guests in the mood?

morst:
Congrats on the Shure/Sound Devices unit! I love those things.

Yeah, I might do a podcast some time, so $2 seems like a fair deal, for sure!!

--- Quote from: zhianosatch on March 08, 2017, 04:05:50 PM --- I ended up buying ts's Shure FP24 to provide some clean, adjustable L/R gain before it hits the M10 (some fun results with a borrowed MP-2 in the good old days helped give me that idea). With the taperssection-approved 4061s, Audacity and a beat up laptop I should be in the clear to start.

Hindenburg looks awfully convenient - how could you pass it up for $2?

--- End quote ---

mnm207:
My interviews are generally in the guests' offices, or more accurately their conference rooms. The most control I have over the environment is usually closing the door... I do ask that all phones be turned off, computers when possible and AC units. At my last interview I had them unplug a fridge. I'm not an audio pro, so this usually gets me to "good enough."

Getting my guests into a kind of flow isn't usually too difficult as most are soft-peddling their own services by demonstrating an expertise. As I'm setting up I put the microphone in front of them immediately--even as I'm still hooking it up, so that they get used to having it there. And then I chat casually, usually for five or ten minutes, before starting the actual interview. By that point they're comfortable with me and they're comfortable with the mic. In the end, it's all about making the guest comfortable. Really it's all about getting into your own groove. After you've done a few interviews you'll find your pace--and that'll ultimately help get your guest into the flow of things.

And, yeah, Hindenburg Journalist is great--even at full retail. Super easy to use.

Good luck with the podcast.

Oh, quick edit: Transom's got a new article up on interviewing: http://transom.org/2017/intimate-interviewing/.

splumer:
I've been thinking of doing a podcast, featuring live music from Cleveland over the decades (not all my recordings). I'm not so concerned with the technical aspects as I am the legal ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version