Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

GPU question about transferring 480p vids from the early 2000's

(1/4) > >>

Justy Gyee:
I'm building a PC to start transferring the hundreds of vids i shot 20yrs ago. I think the extent of my work would be mixing down two sources.
my question for TS is how important is it to have a good/fast GPU?
my current GPU is a 4gig, should i invest in something better 8g?16g?
thanks for any advice

Justy Gyee:
can anyone recommend a forum/website that might be able to help?

grawk:
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=480p+video+editing+advice+in+2024

morst:
if you are gonna keep them at 480 you probably don't need a very powerful machine

Chanher:
EDIT: I just saw the files are already 480p digital format, I'm a moron and missed that in your original post. My reply has been revised:

Computer people please correct me, but I believe a GPU is primarily responsible for any video sent OUT to your monitor(s). Your processor handles any any mixing and editing of video files and 480p isn't nearly as bad as 1080p and 4k. However, I have no idea if upscaling(?) to larger, higher resolution formats is beneficial (I seem to recall there is a benefit but please verify), and that is the first thing I would google. Plenty of people have old 480p vids that they want to mix, master, and edit for modern use and they have posted the most optimal solutions. Lately I have been skipping google and just searching on youtube for these matters.

If you will be editing in a format larger than 480p, than you will need a reasonably robust processor AND ram. I wish I knew accurate specifications, but I guarantee a quick google search should solve that, something like "computer specs for editing 1080p video (or 4k)."

The best advice I can give is to take a night (or a week or a month if you have to) and thoroughly research this process. Watch as many videos as you can until you know for sure what you want to do, that way you don't process 100's of hours of video only to discover there was a better method or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version