Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic recommendation for UA-5 P-Mod  (Read 6091 times)

Offline macphisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • team-oktava
Mic recommendation for UA-5 P-Mod
« on: July 03, 2004, 12:48:44 AM »
Hey y'all,

My current setup is Oktava MC-012 -> Edirol UA-5 (Oade P-Mod) -> PDaudio.

I'm looking to upgrade my mics. Does anybody have any recommendations for what mics would work out the best for the ua-5 p-mod?

Thanks,
Frank

oktava mc012 -> edirol ua-5 (p-mod) -> laptop/md/pdaudio/any new technology.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Re: Mic recommendation for UA-5 P-Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 12:55:59 AM »
some 391's would be a nice upgrade with the P-mod

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 03:05:44 AM »
U89?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 10:00:48 AM »
Does anybody have any recommendations for what mics would work out the best for the ua-5 p-mod?

Budget?  What kind of music / venues?  What kind of sound do you like - bright and punchy, warm and smooth, some other (and broader) combination of sonic characteristics?  Or perhaps better asked this way:  what sonic characteristics in the MC012s do you feel you want to improve upon?  What sonic characteristics in the MC012s do you like?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline macphisto

• Taperssection Newbie
  • team-oktava
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 12:33:43 AM »
I mostly record shows in clubs and also amphitheaters. I tape anybody from local bar bands to dmb. I also tape a lot of rock, like Zwan. I don't really like how the low end is on the Oktavas. It's too damn bassy. I like a bright and punchy sound. My budget is under $1000.

thanks,
frank
oktava mc012 -> edirol ua-5 (p-mod) -> laptop/md/pdaudio/any new technology.

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 01:49:36 AM »
Josephsons.

-Kevin

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 02:34:18 AM »
Josephsons.

-Kevin

Whoa there. I mean he doesn't like the bass yes, but lets let him have some bass...I know that I am unoriginal saying this but have you considered ADK TL's...they are pretty sweet sounding...dont know if I have heard them with the p-mod though. 170 bucks per polar pattern is not bad at all. It also seems like stealth is not an issue so that is my rec. Otherwise check out some AKGs.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline steve-o

• Taperssection Member
  • I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind...
    • SK6
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 05:50:04 PM »
I'd recommend the AKG 391s.  I haven't heard the p-mod with the ADK's so I can't comment on them yet.  I would assume that they'd be fine though.  Both would also fit well below your "cap" and give you some cash to put towards your p mod or some more tix.       ;)

SG

« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 05:56:43 PM by gazdalikemazda »

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 06:49:23 PM »
i've heard the 391's through a Pmod ua-5 the low end is lacking.  I'm kinda wanting to get a pmod now, sometimes the low end with my 391's is a bit over emphasized, thats why i've been running rolloff, or xy to help it.  I would recomend the 391's i've had good luck with them. you should hear my umphrey's latenite b-roo tape, thinking of posting it on archive.org, we'll see. good luck, get some new mics, and go tape. peace.

Matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 08:55:05 PM »
Josephsons.

-Kevin

Whoa there. I mean he doesn't like the bass yes, but lets let him have some bass...I know that I am unoriginal saying this but have you considered ADK TL's...they are pretty sweet sounding...dont know if I have heard them with the p-mod though. 170 bucks per polar pattern is not bad at all. It also seems like stealth is not an issue so that is my rec. Otherwise check out some AKGs.

Jason

Don't know what shows you've been listening to but Josephsons have plenty of bass....just not as sloppy as the bluelines if thats what you're used to. ;D

That being said here are my recs:

$200-$600/pair - MXL 1006BP's - nothing else in this price range comes close they will chew up and spit out C1000s and Oktavas all before the house lights even dim.

$600-$1000/pair - Josephson C42MP's - Amazing mics, very close to the vintage KM-i84's with a little more clarity, same capsule as in the MG300s with a custom designed amp section

$1000-$2000/pair - Gefells SMS2000 series

$2000k+ - Schoeps CMC6xt w/ MK5s or Schoeps Tubes with MK5s 

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 09:27:28 PM »
MBHOs are a bright, but nice, mic as well.  Just another option to consider.  There may even be a pair available in the Yard Sale right now.   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 10:10:48 PM »
TL's are a great mic, and having 4 patterns is tough to beat at that price, or any price, but if you don't like phat bass, then stay away from the TL's or any LD really, because if you think the octava's are bassey, wait tell you hear what LD's can do. Might be more of a playback issue than a mic issue though.

If you are looking to spend more their are many options. if you like a nice bright recording, MBHO's would fit the bill and budget nicely. Someone has a pair for sale now, good price also, use the left over $300 to get another set of caps.

It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 02:59:52 PM »
Sounds like you are looking for a clean transparent sound.  I suggest Earthworks (700/used pair) or DPA mics.  I will say that I have not heard them with the p-mod tho :P
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 06:27:53 PM »
The Earthworks mics draw too much current (10 mA) to use safely with the UA-5, according to Doug Oade.  Way too many UA-5 threads on the Oade board to find the link, but I remember reading it.

I just recorded a festival with the Audix 1290 > pmod UA-5, but haven't had a chance to listen to the tapes yet.  Give me a chance to do some critical listening and I'll post some thoughts later.

Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 06:53:15 PM »
"The Earthworks mics draw too much current (10 mA) to use safely with the UA-5, according to Doug Oade.  Way too many UA-5 threads on the Oade board to find the link, but I remember reading it..."

Like most things, take this with a grain of salt... but I once knew a guy who taped a ton of shows with just SR71s>DA-P1 powering them with the Tascam's phantom, never a problem. This was about 5 years ago when the EWs were failry new on the market.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 10:40:22 AM »
Well, I dug up Doug's response here which is specific to the UA-5, not DAP1, etc. YMMV, but why take chances?

I did some listening to my Audix 1290 > pmod UA-5 tapes, and this combo is not too bright for my taste, really nice sounding, actually.  For $550 pair, they might be an option.  Omni, card and hyper caps are available.

Ragan

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 05:49:57 PM »
Josephsons.

-Kevin

Jason

Don't know what shows you've been listening to but Josephsons have plenty of bass....just not as sloppy as the bluelines if thats what you're used to. ;D

That being said here are my recs:

$200-$600/pair - MXL 1006BP's - nothing else in this price range comes close they will chew up and spit out C1000s and Oktavas all before the house lights even dim.

$600-$1000/pair - Josephson C42MP's - Amazing mics, very close to the vintage KM-i84's with a little more clarity, same capsule as in the MG300s with a custom designed amp section

$1000-$2000/pair - Gefells SMS2000 series

$2000k+ - Schoeps CMC6xt w/ MK5s or Schoeps Tubes with MK5s 

peace, chris

I'm gonna go along with the Josephsons.  Listening to a show I recorded yesterday and the bass is pretty nice.  Not overpowering, just good and balanced and tight.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 06:29:21 PM »
Ragan- I've been running my earthworks with a w-UA5 for a little over a year.  No problems at all ;D  Let us know what you end up going with.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 07:01:43 PM »
Becky, just goes to show you, practice beats theory every time.

I bought the Audix a couple of months ago.  I've only taped two indoor shows and the aforementioned festival.  I was worried that the pmod would be too bright a combo with the Audix, but so far, the tapes have sounded about right to me.  I like things a little bright, but not MBHO bright.  Good low end on the Audix 1290, too, which the MBHO doesn't have.  For the money, I find little to complain about.  Thinking about getting some more caps in the future.

For now, it's back to taping local KC bands from the board until next year's fest.

Ragan

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 08:15:42 PM »
I like things a little bright, but not MBHO bright.  Good low end on the Audix 1290, too, which the MBHO doesn't have.

the MBHOs have no low end?
are you sure the recordings you've heard of MBHO weren't using hypers or with a bass rolloff(hpf)?
not saying that MBHO would be good/great with the UA-5...I think MBHO and MP2 were designed for each other
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 08:22:09 PM by luvean »

the water's clean and innocent

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 02:30:06 PM »
I like things a little bright, but not MBHO bright.  Good low end on the Audix 1290, too, which the MBHO doesn't have.

the MBHOs have no low end?
are you sure the recordings you've heard of MBHO weren't using hypers or with a bass rolloff(hpf)?
not saying that MBHO would be good/great with the UA-5...I think MBHO and MP2 were designed for each other

mbho's would be much better served with the w mod over the p mod in my opinion. the w mod helps to open them up more.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 02:37:42 PM »
Becky, just goes to show you, practice beats theory every time.

The problem with the EW > UA-5 combo is definitely not just theoretical.  I know a taper who fried her UA-5 after using it with a pair of SR-71s with no problem for a year.  And it's NOT covered under warranty.  Of course, you could use it and you might have no problems, but ask yourself if you really want to take that chance.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 03:04:34 PM »
you could run earthworks>ps2>ua5 and use the ps2 for phantom power.  I've heard these work fine with the earthworks as long as you externally power the ps2 (since earthworks are VERY high current mics)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com