Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker cable...  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Speaker cable...
« on: September 08, 2004, 11:50:02 PM »
Not looking to break the bank... mid-level price range suggestions  :)

most important is the run from amp->sub (paradigm pdr-8).. I want a good subwoofer cable, I'm x-over at about 125hz

next is from amp->B&W 602.5sIII
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Speaker cable...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 12:13:08 AM »
i use the blue truth stuff from bettercables.com... not cheap but not too bad.  nice mid range cable.  i still need to find that home depot cable thing.

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 01:25:52 AM »
I'm doing the HD thing in 2 weeks, after Sara and I's family visit.. no birght orange cable for the family ;D

thanks Jonny!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 07:54:03 AM »
check out Boulder Cables M-80 speaker cable.
good stuff, and not too expensive.

IMO, if I had to do it again i'd look into making my own HQ cables. 

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 09:46:22 AM »
what home depot cable?

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 10:13:50 AM »
there was an article in Absolute Sound a month or two ago about some 14gauge extension cord cable at Home Depot that is supposed to sound *very* good.

I don't have the article anymore, I think Jonny might be able to give more details...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 10:22:18 AM »
Did a google "absolute sound home depot" and found this:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/147/cable_survey2.html

and this:

http://www.avguide.com/product/Accessories/Speaker_Cables/Home_Depot/HD-14G/2850.jsp

Home Depot HD-14G
est. $30 per 50-foot pair with terminations

Okay, the model designation is my own invention, standing for H (Home) D (Depot) 14G(auge) outdoor extension cord. Otherwise, this entry is no joke. Like several other cables, it comes in a decorative jacket, here of striking orange and black, evocative of Halloween; unlike the others, you must snip off its AC connectors and attach terminations of choice (I used Pomona bananas). The HD-14G rendered Murray Perahia’s piano in a big bold manner, lacking just a little in finesse and ultimate transparency. It threw an image on Jacintha’s “Something’s Gotta Give” with the best—one note reads, “some of the best depth of any cable”—with tuneful bass, notably good height, and a quite lifelike projection. On the Rachmaninoff, it didn’t sound as “fast,” transparent, controlled, or defined in the bass as the better cables, but it wasn’t far behind them either, and it was always highly listenable and involving, with a big-boned, robust presentation that flattered the Appalachian Spring sonics. As for detail, well, it allowed me to hear every piano chord that bleeds through Jacintha’s headphones at the beginning of “Danny Boy” (Autumn Leaves); more detail than that you don’t need.
      I’ll leave the last observation to the most technically knowledgeable, musically literate, and experienced of my listening group: “You know what’s really good about this cable? It sounds totally unscrewed around with.” If its half-inch thickness isn’t macho enough, Home Depot also sells a 12-gauge for half again that sum, and a 10-gauge for about twice the price, both in less attractive yellow-and-black jackets. If you still think I’m kidding, know that Tony Faulkner—engineer of about a third of the best-sounding orchestral recordings of the last twenty years—used the Black-and-Decker equivalent to hook up his Quad 989s at the recent Heathrow Show in England—“They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me”—and that the designer of what is by provable standards one of the half dozen or so most accurate loudspeakers ever made uses and recommends it all the time.
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 11:19:39 AM »
I have no experience with this stuff..  just passing the info along.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/tweaks/tweak_267.htm
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 12:51:42 PM »
If you want to do the terminations yourself, Moondance Audio on S. Broadway in Denver has several options of bulk speaker cable by the foot that is much cheaper than the finished product.  Various stuff, that includes some Audio Magic and maybe some Kimber.

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 12:56:38 PM »
thanks Dave, I had no idea that place even existed...

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 02:17:24 PM »
Dave, I went on over Moondance a little while ago... cool store, I liked the guys working there too. I wonder how often they have real gems come through there? Thanks for the tip!

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 02:52:39 PM »
Definitely nice folks at Moondance, but they are definitely salesman.  They do get some nice used equipment.  All prices, both used and new, are negotiable - and if you don't negotiate at least a little, you'll probably pay too much - so whatever you're looking at, research so you know its value.  It can be a fun place to play around in, and the folks there are willing to let you do so.   

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 02:57:25 PM »
seemed a lot less stuffy than ListenUp or Cherry Creek...

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 03:05:38 PM »
that's NOT hard

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 03:07:42 PM »
:lol

okay good, it's not just me then :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com