Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: talk to me about power and power cables...  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
talk to me about power and power cables...
« on: October 02, 2004, 06:38:05 PM »
I live in an apartment so I'm sure I would benefit from some kind of power conditioning. I also use the stock power cables that came with all of my gear.

what kind of moderatley priced power conditioners are there, say under $400... would just a simple Furman like we I used in my FOH rack work? My system is hardly "hi-fi" but I'd like to make it sound as clean as possible.

what about power cords? seems like they can get pricey... any links or suggestions?

thanks guys...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: talk to me about power and power cables...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 07:17:20 PM »
Chris VenHaus recipe power cords made an immediate improvement in my system.  His cryoed stuff is supposed to be the shit.

I use a blue circle MR-1200 balanced power transformer and it also made an immediately noticable improvement.  If you want to spend less money, there is a smaller wattage version (I probably went overboard) or find a BC music hound to plug into the outlet with your gear.  They get good reviews although I never used one, went stright for the music ring instead.

edit:  even if you are in an apartment, you might consider installing new outlets too.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 07:23:03 PM »
the VenHaus stuff looks very interesting, but I'm not into DIY stuff and I didn't see a way to purchase premade cables.

thanks for all of the advice!

+T
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 07:35:05 PM »
+T in 12 Moke...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 07:50:23 PM »
This page http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html has venHaus's premade cables.  Scroll down about 1/3rd of the page.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 08:15:53 PM »
This page http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html has venHaus's premade cables.  Scroll down about 1/3rd of the page.

Thanks, I didn't find that page...

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 09:30:39 PM »
I really have always liked 2 companies when it comes to power:  Richard Gray and Furutech.  Acoustic sounds has a nice deal on the 6 outlet furutech unit:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13434

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »
I really have always liked 2 companies when it comes to power:  Richard Gray and Furutech.  Acoustic sounds has a nice deal on the 6 outlet furutech unit:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13434

thanks Jonny...

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 10:31:28 AM »
Also check out the PS Audio stuff.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 12:23:18 PM »
audio magic.  some deals on audiogon usually

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 12:29:01 PM »
thanks guys!

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 01:42:45 PM »
i recently upgraded the power in my system and it really did make a difference in sound, much more than i was expecting.  the biggest difference i've noticed that the bass sounds deeper and a bit more solid which was a welcome improvement since the maggies are little lacking on the low end.  at the same the background seems quieter and the music seems a bit more natural.  it's really kind of hard to put into words but i noticed the difference immediately and it was a much greater improvement than i ever hoped for.

i was on a budget so my upgrade consisted of replacing the wall outlet with a hubbell hospital grade outlet, a furman pl-plus power conditioner and. diy ac cords based on bob crump's audioasylum recipe.  i also replace the stock power cords on the furman power conditioner and my st-140 with belden 19364 cable and marinco plugs.  the total cost came to under $300 and i think it was worth every penny i spent.  :)

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 01:55:30 PM »
I think I'm going to start with the power conditioner that Jonny recommended. Seems to be the most bang for my buck. Once I have the new system together in the next week or two I'll work on the power cords.

thanks for all of the recommendations guys!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com