Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need receiver recs: Denon AVR-2802 v. Panasonic SA-XR50  (Read 4789 times)

Offline moewu4u

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Need receiver recs: Denon AVR-2802 v. Panasonic SA-XR50
« on: October 21, 2004, 10:19:21 PM »
I have the opportunity to pick up the Denon for $300 which seems like a good deal. It is two years old and very clean. However, I have been eyeing the small Panasonic deck b/c of it's size, price (~$275, new) and the good reviews I've read.  My listening will be likely split 50/50 of home theater and 2-channel music. I don't have decent speakers yet so this will be the first component that I'll build around. What do you think?

Here are their specs:

Denon AVR-2802

Dolby Digital Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A-V Receiver
# 90 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20k Hz) at 0.05% THD
# DTS-ES, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding
# DTS Neo:6 modes
# learning/multibrand remote with glow keys and macros
# dual-room/dual-source output (preamp outputs for second room)
# digital inputs: 3 optical, 1 coax
# optical digital output
# component video switching: 2 in, 1 out (27MHz bandwidth)
# 3 audio (including phono) and 5 A/V (including 5 S-video) inputs
# 5.1-channel input
# 7.1-channel preamp output
# on-screen display (requires TV with direct video input)
# variable low-pass crossover
# 96kHz/24-bit D/A converters
# high-current, low-impedance amp design
# speaker binding posts for all channels
# 40 AM/FM presets
# 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-15/16"D

Panasonic SA-XR50

Type of Receiver AV receiver
Watts Per Channel (Main) 100 Watt
Watts Center 100 Watt
Watts Per Channel (Rear) 100 Watt
Sound Features
On-Board Decoder DTS-ES decoder, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS Neo:6, DTS 96/24, DTS decoder
Digital Sound Processor Yes
DSP Presets Live, Game, Jazz, Mono Movie, Party, Pop/Rock, Action, Drama, Musical, Dance, Sports
Number of DSP Presets 12
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.09 %
Connectors
RCA Connectors 1 x subwoofer output ( RCA phono ) - rear, 4 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear, 2 x audio line-out ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear, 1 x 5.1 channel audio line-in ( RCA phono x 6 ) - rear, 1 x monitor output ( RCA phono ) - rear
Composite RCA Connectors 1 x composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - front, 3 x composite video input ( RCA phono ) - rear, 1 x composite video output ( RCA phono ) - rear
Component Connectors 2 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear, 1 x component video output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear
Digital Optical Connectors 1 x SPDIF output ( TOS Link ) - rear, 2 x SPDIF input ( TOS Link ) - rear
Digital Coaxial Connectors 2 x SPDIF input ( RCA phono ) - rear
S-Video Connectors 3 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - rear
Other Connectors Total (Free) / Type 1 x headphones ( phone stereo 6.25 mm ) - front, 2 x front speakers output ( banana/spade x 2 ) - rear, 2 x front speakers output ( click-fit x 2 ) - rear, 1 x center speaker output ( click-fit x 2 ) - rear, 2 x rear speakers output ( click-fit x 2 ) - rear, 1 x rear center speaker output ( click-fit x 2 ) - rear, 1 x monitor output ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - rear
General Features
Display Type Fluorescent
Display Dimmer Yes
Signal T Noise Ratio 103 dB
General Product Info
Weight 9.26 lbs
Also known as XR50, SA-XR50, Panasonic SA-XR50, Panasonic XR50
Manufacturer Part No. SA-XR50
Dimension 3.3 in x 16.9 in x 14.8 in (HxWxD)

Offline rhett

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Need receiver recs: Denon AVR-2802 v. Panasonic SA-XR50
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 02:19:22 AM »
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1103214062

I f you can do this, its a pretty kick ass piece

Offline rhett

• Taperssection Regular

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:17:39 AM »
I love my xr-50, best receiver I have ever heard when using a digital signal.  I do also use it for surround sound with my rears and it sounds good enough to me.  Bottom line, there is no reason to spend 1000 dollars on an amp anymore, just no reason at all.  That said, I plan on dumping about 750 bucks into the unit to have it completely modified by wayne at boulder or some dude at empirical.  The highs and detail are stunning for such a small little box.  My only complaint would be not enough digital inputs for my liking, but splitters will take care of this.  Get yourself a xr-50, and sweet digital cable for your transport/digital source, and you will be stunned!  I got mine off ebay, brand new, for less than 200.  Other comparable digital units would be the new jvc model that is fluffed quite a bit on audio circle, the sony x000es series that everyone on this board loves, the panasonic xr-45, which I actually found at a couple places yesterday though it was around ~350 bucks, and a couple others.  Craig T might chime in here...

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 09:26:58 AM »
Bottom line, there is no reason to spend 1000 dollars on an amp anymore, just no reason at all. 

why the hell not? if it sounds better...

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:31:53 AM »
Bottom line, there is no reason to spend 1000 dollars on an amp anymore, just no reason at all. 

QFT and to add...

I now have gotten a chance to listen to the Sony amps, and they do sound good, but they are not the end all and be all of playback.  Are they a great unit for the money?  I think no one is doubting that, but there are certainly a lot of other great and different options out there, especially if you have the pocketbook to purchase them. 

The sony may be among the top of the line in its price range, but let's not get carried away. 

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:07:06 AM »
I have the SAXR45 and love it.  I love the sound, the ease of use, the size, the am/fm tuner (haven't had radio in my system for about a decade!), and the price.  I don't like the speaker terminals (forced me to reterminate my cables to banana's for the main fronts, the center and surrounds are those cheap spring clips), I also wish there were more digital inputs, and the build quality is what you'd expect from a $300 receiver.  It broke down on me about 2 months after I bought it, took about 2 months to get it back from a Panasonic service tech, but it was covered under warranty.  I wish there was better bass management, the sub crossover is too high.  The sound through the digital inputs is very detailed, great lows and mids, the highs aren't quite as smooth as some very high end components I've heard, so there is certainly room for improvement.  Analog inputs are mediocre.  What is also unique at this price point is the absolute black background the the music emerges from - something I've never had in my system before, even after messing with power conditioners and cables.  I did not hesitate to sell off my Sonic Frontiers tube pre, CAL d/a, and B&K monoblocks after hearing the Panny.  After awhile I missed that tube thing and did purchase a mod'd Cayin TA30 tube integrated - and some recordings do sound better through the tubes.  I think the Panny is excellent and competes well with any d/a>pre>amp combo you could put together for <$2k.

I know nothing about that Denon, but I've never been impressed with their receivers.  Actually I've never liked any receivers until these "digital amps" were introduced.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 10:38:51 AM »

QFT and to add...

I now have gotten a chance to listen to the Sony amps, and they do sound good, but they are not the end all and be all of playback.  Are they a great unit for the money?  I think no one is doubting that, but there are certainly a lot of other great and different options out there, especially if you have the pocketbook to purchase them. 

The sony may be among the top of the line in its price range, but let's not get carried away. 

AMEN!  I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet.

Offline moewu4u

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »
thanks all for the input. Seems everyone likes the Panasonic series for the most part so I think I'm going to go that route. I really dig the small size w/ plenty of power; the Denon seemed like a huge piece of equipment w/ not many more features than the Panasonic. Also curious to hear what those digital amps sound like. Plus the money I can save in getting a Panasonic will now be put into decent speakers. I considered the Sonys as well but they were somewhat out of budget. Likewise with the ARcam althought that looks killer too. Alright, talked myself into the Panasonic. Thanks again everybody....I'll be passing out +Ts every 12hrs.; even you shitty.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 06:46:37 PM »
Hey, there is a first for everything:-)

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 09:00:20 PM »
even you shitty.

don't get carried away.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 07:57:19 AM »
I won't Armen, believe me!

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com