Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone recommendations  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Headphone recommendations
« on: October 25, 2004, 06:35:32 PM »
I'm looking at the Etymotic Research ER-6 Isolator Earphones or the Sony 7506. Both can be had for around 100 bucks. Anyone have experience with these? I can't decide to go with the in-ear or the full phones.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Headphone recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 06:45:31 PM »
i have the etymotic er-6s and they have great isolation but can sometimes they can be a little irritating since they are in your ear.  what are you looking to do with the headphones?  if you're going to be using them at a show or with an mp3 player on the go the etymotics are probably a better option since they don't take up anywhere near the amount of space of full earphones but if i was doing my listening at home i'd probably go with the full headphones.

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 07:37:06 PM »
i have the etymotic er-6s and they have great isolation but can sometimes they can be a little irritating since they are in your ear.  what are you looking to do with the headphones?  if you're going to be using them at a show or with an mp3 player on the go the etymotics are probably a better option since they don't take up anywhere near the amount of space of full earphones but if i was doing my listening at home i'd probably go with the full headphones.

Just using them at home to hear my own recordings so no mixing or in field use. Thanks for the advice - +T.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 08:58:17 AM »
I have the Grado sr225s and enjoy them, they are open ear, as in other people can hear what you are listening to, I would be happy to send them to you to try out
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 10:27:25 AM »
I really, really, really, really love the Sony 7506's for listening at home.

There's not as much isolation as I would have hoped though- not good for using out in the field at louder shows... I couldn't even hear clearly between bands over the setbreak music.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »
if you're listening at home i'd also look into a pair of sennheiser hd-580s, i have a pair and absolutely love them.  if you keep an eye open on ebay you can find a brand new pair for around $140 and cheaper if you buy used.  you might want to check out head-fi.org, there is lots of great advice and they have a used gear section where you might be able to save some money.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 11:46:43 AM »
if you're listening at home i'd also look into a pair of sennheiser hd-580s, i have a pair and absolutely love them.  if you keep an eye open on ebay you can find a brand new pair for around $140 and cheaper if you buy used.  you might want to check out head-fi.org, there is lots of great advice and they have a used gear section where you might be able to save some money.

Even better deal at audiogon!

Edit: I have the HD-600 model myself and love them. I'm told they're quite similar to the 580s.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 05:59:58 PM »
I bought my 580s for $160 new on Amazon and I love them.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 08:15:29 PM »
HD580 $139 BIN

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61333&item=5727851919&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

i got mine from this seller. prompt shipping, great service.

marc

"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 04:05:29 AM »
Love my AKG K-501s.  Retail for low $200s, but you can find 'em for mid $100s.  Search for AKG and 501 over on head-fi.org and you'll see loads of posts.  Aside from the (IMO) great sound, the circumaural (around the ear, not on the ear) earpads were a huge selling point for me - I can't stand supra-aural (on the ear) earpads. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com