Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denon 2910 DVD/A SACD player  (Read 6537 times)

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
Denon 2910 DVD/A SACD player
« on: October 26, 2004, 10:58:23 PM »
Anyone have any experience with this machine.  It looks like it will do it all, and I am seriously looking into this.  But I have never had any Denon products, I have heard a few of you talking about them positively.   What are your thoughts quality wise, is Denon worth the $$?
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Denon 2910 DVD/A SACD player
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 12:15:17 AM »
For the sake of the topic, here's a visual comparison of the Denon 2910 and Denon 3910...

Denon 2910 ($650)

Denon 3910 ($1200)

Not sure how the internal specs compare, but as far as connections go, the 3910 has an IEEE connection for a bit-pure 5.1 connection (& a Denon Link connection, but you don't have a Denon receiver/processor).

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 12:28:42 AM »
...I have heard a few of you talking about them positively.   What are your thoughts quality wise, is Denon worth the $$?

I've had a Denon 2200 for about a year now, and have always been in favor of Denon products.  However, the 2200 and I haven't gotten along as well as I would have liked (in terms of burned DVD-V's & DVD-A's).  The Denon 2910, I haven't auditioned.  But, I've heard many more positive comments in regards to Denon DVD players than I have negative.

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 07:00:05 AM »
The 2910 is the 220 replacement.  The video sections are the same, but audio sections differ. Reports indicate that if are looking for video only the 2910 will be great.  However, if multichannel music is big you might want to really look at the 3910 with the better audio section.

Both players have shown macroblocking with the new FLI2310 chip as well.

SC

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 04:18:08 PM »
There is a mini-review of the Denon 2900 in the November issue of Stereophile.. Here's a quote:

" Without question, judged by all around functionality and performance, the Denon DVD-2900 is a bargain.  Its audio performance, both "Red Book" and SACD, is very, very good... "  -John Marks
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 06:45:46 PM »
FYI, the audio section of the 2900 is much more like the 3910 than 2910.

SC

Offline taylorc

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 12:47:26 AM »
With DVD-A technology still in somewhat of an early stage, I've been curious about the idea of a "universal player".  As noted, I've had a Denon 2200 for about a year.  ...Of course, the term "universal" refers to DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, etc., but as most of us have been for years, our music has been played through a single designated 'deck' (DA-20 mkII, Denon Cassette Decks, Tascam CD Players).

So, when it comes to satisfying both video and audio interests, I'm not sure I've seen anyone discuss (in depth) what universal players give us...and where they're headed.  When we're discussing universal DVD players...are we typically ignoring video or attempting to satisfy both interests?

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 10:31:48 AM »
It depends on what you are more interested in as far as PQ, unconversion, connections.  Or you may be more interested in the DVD-A/SACD and less into audio.  Either way the more $$$, the better the components, build quality (usually), and features.

SC

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 05:34:11 PM »
I've got the Marantz dv6400 and love mine to death, granted these are still 1st and 2nd generation models coming out. I ended up having to send my Marantz back to the factory for a firmware upgrade, other than that no complaints.  You  could always go for the lower end model and pick up a 24bit DAC down the road.

My 2 scents...
Spott

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 05:58:27 PM »
I've got the Marantz dv6400 and love mine to death, granted these are still 1st and 2nd generation models coming out. I ended up having to send my Marantz back to the factory for a firmware upgrade, other than that no complaints.  You  could always go for the lower end model and pick up a 24bit DAC down the road.

My 2 scents...
Spott

I also have the Marantz DV6400 and like it. It has played everyting I have thrown at it. Not at all built like a tank (very light weight and low end feeling)  like the more expensive models but it seems to do the trick.

Brothers

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com