Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Software for post work?  (Read 6796 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Software for post work?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2005, 08:49:10 AM »
I have both Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and Soundforge 7.0, but I always use CEP simply because I'm a bit more familiar with it and I've gotten a little better success with their NR filters. For the people who use Audacity or SF, and who've used CEP before, what sorts of things do each of those programs have or do better than CEP? I'll admit that 75-80% of CEP's functions fly right over my head, but it'd be good to hear the experiences of others nonetheless.

Audacity comes with a noise reduction function that does a very nice job removing cassette tape noise...thats an extra plug-in on SF7.

Offline macacopowa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Barcelona Projecte Musical
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2005, 08:57:59 AM »
I usually use a WaveLab, i'm not an expert in edition but with this program editing convert a bit easy.
I take advantage of for ask how yourselves works; cut the wave in each track an apply edition for each one  or apply EQ and others before cutting
respectable rig:
Neumann km184 > Hi Ho Silver Clad Cables thegreatgumbino style> SD722

stealth way
CMC-8>3wire bb>R1/ ihp120

recordings on LMAhttp://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danimacaco

http://myspace.com/musickapes       http://db.etree.org/macacopowa

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 10:04:44 AM »
Seems like a lot of support for SoundForge here.  I switched from SF to Adobe Audition this past year and am happy with the move.  I started looking for something else after trying to EQ out some bass on a really boom tape.  I decided to give Audacity a try and thought the end result sound better to my ears then SF.  Only problem with Audacity is the EQ plugin seemed to introduce a pre/post ringing into the recording.  It was driving nuts.  So I did a side-by-side comparison of SF, Audacity, Goldwave, Audition.  To my ears and with my recordings Audition sounded significantly better than all the others.  Also, to my ears SoundForge compared to the others absolutely sucked the life out of my recording! 

I recommend anyone looking for software try out several and do a side-by-side taste test.  Trust your ears.  Go with what sounds good to you.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 12:39:13 AM »
For the people who use Audacity or SF, and who've used CEP before, what sorts of things do each of those programs have or do better than CEP?

The big positive for Audacity, in my mind, is that it does all the sorts of things I need to do either regularly or occasionally - fades, EQ, limiting, normalizing / adjusting gain, etc. - fairly easily and FREE.  Not everyone believes it's appropriate to use cracked software (when freeware alternatives are readily available, or otherwise).  That said, I have an old license of CEP that I use most of the time because CEP 2.0 does everything I need it to, it has an excellent help file, and I'm very familiar / comfortable with the interface.  I won't bother upgrading to Audition because it doesn't offer anything I need but don't get in CEP 2.0.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 08:22:31 AM »
Not everyone believes it's appropriate to use cracked software (when freeware alternatives are readily available, or otherwise).

When I did my tests I used trial versions of everything.  I found each vendor had a trail version of their software that had enough functionalty to let me test it fully.  The only program I couldn't find a trial version for was Wavelab and I didn't include it in my tests.  I agree with Brian, find the program you're going to use and buy it!  If you meet the requirements, AcademicSuperstore.com is a great place to shop for SoundForge or Audition.  And Audicity is free.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 09:33:59 AM »
soundforge rules all others

yes, soundforge is good, but let's not go crazy here....    ;)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 08:26:25 PM »
I use audacity, but as stated, it is very clunky and a huge memory eater.

It works for what I use it for.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 04:02:08 PM »
This seems like a fairly unexplored topic, at least in the archives.
One feature that Soundforge doesn't have (that I can find) is applying a linear or other type fade except one that goes to/from zero. Am I missing something? Is there a program that does this well? The problem that needs fixing is when you change the volume during recording. It would be nice to be able to smooth out the transition in post processing. From marker to marker, fade x dB to ydB.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 04:17:18 PM »
can you not write fader automation in sound forge? 
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 04:19:57 PM »
Is there a program that does this well? [snip]  It would be nice to be able to smooth out the transition in post processing. From marker to marker, fade x dB to ydB.

I know CEP/Audition allows you to do this with the standard gain function.  You can also apply a gain envelope to accomplish the above which offers greater flexibility.  I assume most other audio editors provide similar features, but...I don't know for certain.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »
Thanks- I was not able to find the tool, I will try the help menu under "fader automation".
What's a "gain envelope"? Can you customize the gain function in an area?
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline joemango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2005, 04:38:34 PM »
soundforge 6 and up have a "Graphic" option in their fade menu, which does allow you to fade to/from any level over time with dynamics.

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2005, 05:04:30 PM »
Thanks much- I was working with an older version of Soundforge. Guess I'd best get with the program, so to speak.
+T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com