Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Brickwalling vs meter crunching  (Read 2117 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Brickwalling vs meter crunching
« on: March 31, 2005, 06:26:38 PM »
Hi!

What are they and how do they differ?  Can somebody explain? I gather "brickwalling" is what happened in this afternoon's recording session (v annoying cause i performed REALLY well) and got home and uploaded to discover a bunch of superlow level recordings that STILL have distortion... the classic "squred off" waveform even though the leve is WAY low.

How does distortion happen at such a low level? I think I know WHY it happened in my case (I had the gain on the pre set wrong) but I still am beffuddled as to why it would distort even when it isn't actually LOUD.

Thanks. Sorry for another stoopid noob question :)

DPA4060
R09

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: Brickwalling vs meter crunching
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 06:38:27 PM »
Everything you always wanted to know about brickwalling (but were afraid to ask):

http://rockpark.com/d7/8_brick.txt

:)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 06:48:18 PM »
but I still am beffuddled as to why it would distort even when it isn't actually LOUD.

"loud" is relative... while it may not have been loud to you it was excessively loud for your pre
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 08:01:18 AM »
but I still am beffuddled as to why it would distort even when it isn't actually LOUD.

"loud" is relative... while it may not have been loud to you it was excessively loud for your pre

Well, when I uploaded it to the puter it's clear that the levels are incredibly low (it's barely audible and needs at least +12 gain to be at any kind of "normal" playback level), it's just distorting regardless.

Thanks for the link Greenone.  I'm kinda sorta starting to understand, but still not how or why it happens. 
DPA4060
R09

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 08:55:17 AM »

Well, when I uploaded it to the puter it's clear that the levels are incredibly low (it's barely audible and needs at least +12 gain to be at any kind of "normal" playback level), it's just distorting regardless.

yep. you are overloading the input on your mic pre... it doesn't matter what you think of the levels. it matters what the incoming levels are in relation to what the mic pre can take.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 01:21:44 PM »
Don't think of it as loud so much as "hot". Mics are very sensitive instruments and the signal they output is very high compared to what the preamp can take at a higher sensitivity setting. Drop the sensitivity down lower, and the signal will be low enough for the preamp to do its job properly and boost the signal cleanly.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 10:43:29 PM »

yep. you are overloading the input on your mic pre... it doesn't matter what you think of the levels. it matters what the incoming levels are in relation to what the mic pre can take.

I phrased myself badly - you are indeed right that the only opinion that matters is the equipment's!  What I meant was A. taht the JB3 wasn't showing any meter levels crunching, B that although I had the sensitivity selection too high (live and learn) the level knob was way down and C on uploading to the 'puter, the level was VERY low - it's barely audible.

Greenone, thanks agaia - yes, I know what i need to do for next time, I"m just trying to understand the phenomenon as well as i can. The 'tech" aspect of this is all SO new to me and I feel like I am SO ignorant that I'm at least trying to learn from my mistakes!   :)
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com