Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 bit time/size limit?  (Read 4341 times)

Offline suspect

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team Upstate New York
24 bit time/size limit?
« on: April 04, 2005, 03:14:08 PM »
Hey all.  I've been toying with the idea of only recording in 24bit and then re-sampling after when I need to.  My question is, when recording 24bit using a stock UA-5 and Soundforge 7, are there any limits I should be worrying about?  I know that with the USB limitations, I shouldn't really go over 24/48 but will I have to stop and start the recording if it gets too long?  Should I be using a different program to record with as opposed to Soundforge?  Any other suggestions for recording 24bit?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 03:26:54 PM by suspect »
SBD or Oktava MK012s > Kind Kables XLR > Edirol UA-5 (BM2p+ mod) > Dell Latitude CPx via USB

http://www.upstatetapers.com

Curator - Archive.org LMA

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: 24 bit time limit?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 03:17:53 PM »
Time limitations will be based on how much space you have on your HD.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline suspect

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 03:20:23 PM »

I've got a 60GB HD with 57GB free.  That shouldn't be a problem.  I remember hearing chatter about there being a 2GB limit.  Is that only with the PDAudio stuff?
SBD or Oktava MK012s > Kind Kables XLR > Edirol UA-5 (BM2p+ mod) > Dell Latitude CPx via USB

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 03:21:50 PM »

I've got a 60GB HD with 57GB free.  That shouldn't be a problem.  I remember hearing chatter about there being a 2GB limit.  Is that only with the PDAudio stuff?

no, waves have a 2GB limit on size... if you go more than that in soundforge, your save it as a .w64 file.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline suspect

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Upstate New York
Re: 24 bit time/size limit?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 03:23:03 PM »

no, waves have a 2GB limit on size... if you go more than that in soundforge, your save it as a .w64 file.

Will it automatically save?  How should I set SF up to save as a W64 file rather than a wav file?  Do I do that after I get done recording and go to File >Save?  Will SF quit once it hits a 2GB Wav file?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 03:26:33 PM by suspect »

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 03:55:26 PM »
my experience is that you record, and if it is more than 2 hours, you will have to go to file> save as> and select file type as .w64

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline suspect

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 04:10:58 PM »
my experience is that you record, and if it is more than 2 hours, you will have to go to file> save as> and select file type as .w64

Interesting.  +T for the help.  What can I do with the w64 file when it's saved?  Cut it in SF then save it as a wav?  Do I have to re-sample on the save from w64 to wav?

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 07:08:56 PM »
You can avoid the 2gb file size limit by using a different program called wavelab.  Wavelab has a function that will allow you to instantly create a new file before you hit the 2gb limit.  Then you can join the files seamlessly after you are done recording.  If you get wavelab PM me and I will tell you how to set it up, also willing to help anyone learn how to use the program.  You can  record, resample, dither, and track your recordings with this program. 
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 10:30:34 AM »
No response on what to do with a .w64 file. Did my first successful lappie 24/96 pull last night and at 1:54:00 I had to save as a .w64 in soundforge. Please help.

"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 12:12:18 PM »
for anyone recording .wavs larger than 2 gigs on a windows machine, you must have your drive formatted in NTFS.  2gb is the maximum size for any file using FAT32.  i believe there are ways around this within certain recording apps, however it is easier to just use NTFS.

you can check what file system you are using by going to My Computer > Hard Drive (usually C:\ Local Disk) > right click > Properties > "File System:" should read NTFS or FAT32.

if you choose you want to change your file system to NTFS you can do so by going to Start > Run > type in "cmd" without quotes.  At the command prompt type in

CONVERT  C:  /fs:ntfs

then reboot.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 12:15:44 PM »
I'm using NTFS, still had to save as a .w64 (3.67 GB).

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 12:30:52 PM »
ahh...didn't know that the .wav format has a native file size limit of 2gb.

http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2005-January/019595.html

guess you have to split it into 2 files in your case since it's not over 4gb, then use shntool to fix the sector boundry errors that will most likely occur when cutting a track in soundforge.

shntool  http://www.etree.org/shnutils/shntool/

for example, then at the command prompt use

shntool fix *.wav in the folder that both sets are saved in.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 01:01:30 PM »
OK, just to make sure I undertand...

Split the .w64 (cut/paste I assume??) into <2GB wav files (split at a natural spot)
track
take the 2 tracks that were split before conversion and run shntool to fix boundries

OR

Do I run shntool before tracking?

Thanks for the help...+T

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 02:34:20 PM »
If you're comfortable tracking in SF, just track the show and save each part as wave (drop markers, convert to regions, export regions). You said you recorded 24-bit audio - there are no sector boundaries - sectors only exist on audio CDs. You can skip this step.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 02:35:08 PM »
edit: MattD's advice is better  :)

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »
Thanks Matt. Didn't know there were no sector boundry issues with 24bit. Very nice. +T in 12.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com